Gilded Tarot Study Group - The Hermit

Willa

When a bought the Gilded Tarot deck..I was surprised to find the Hermit card
inspired me in a new direction in intepreting it.

Here goes....

A mysterious old man walks a "narrow path" He carries a light-the Hermit holds up the Light of the world for us to see our way in this dark world.
The Hermit shows others the way... so they can follow.

The Lesson of the Hemit is...no matter who and what we are, other people are learning from us, we are a mentor, role model, and teacher...whether we think we are or not. knowing this we should guide ourselves accordingly.

Be a mentor-let your light shine brightly for others to follow.

annik

the first thing that strikes me is that he doesn't seems to be in a hurry. He takes time to look around him.

Mystic Leo

I agree Willa, notice the lamp is not so large, he carries it at the front of him, though the light is shining at the back of him ever so brightly, for others to follow...be guided.

EnglishRose

annik said:
the first thing that strikes me is that he doesn't seems to be in a hurry. He takes time to look around him.

I totally agree with you, he seems to not be in a hurry. To me he appears to be thinking about something, in deep contemplation.

revlcb

The Hermit walks a narrow, craggy pathway... a pathway that not many would dare to travel unless they too held "the light". He not only is holding the lamp for all to see, he emanates the light, which shines of many colors. Are the surrounding colorful lights his aura? If that is so then the Hermit is a gifted person indeed. The light of the lamp that he willingly shares, indicates to me that he can lead others on their own pathway if they would only dare to take that first step.

Blessings ~ Lisa

majah kahlana

For me the Hermit seems a bit sad.. there are so very few who choose to walk the narrow path that is the journey to wisdom. The lights around him remind me of the Northern Lights in Alaska in winter time. In an Alaskan winter you dont go outside unless you have to because it gets so cold there. You spend alot of time in introspection during those long cold nights. and I think that the Hermit has paused for just a bit for some introspection before he continues on his journey.

Disa

I feel that the Hermit is often introspective to a fault, isolating himself while on his inward journey. While it's admirable to hold the light that lights a path for others to follow, surely he would take comfort in having someone walk along beside him who was just as introspective and wise.

ana luisa

The Hermit´s journey is within himself. I feel sorry for him for having such a void inside...

Willa

ana luisa said:
The Hermit´s journey is within himself. I feel sorry for him for having such a void inside...

I'm sorry ana luisa I do not see the Hermit empty at all. I feel he is full of discernment, wisdom learned from the trials of life. If anything I feel the hermit represents People who have a High capacity for caring. Those not afraid of showing the world their real self. High sense of honor derived from internal values, values that perhaps only an approximate 4.4% of total population have. No the Hermit is not a "crowd pleaser" as many of us try to be, at the expense of "saying and doing what we really feel is Right"

If anything the hermit's words, and songs would not fill a stadium with screaming fans. Because what he could teach us, would fall on deaf ears.

If He seems alone in this spiritual quest its because as the old saying goes. "Water seeks its own level". You must be seeking high ground to reach his plateau, or station in life.

Willa

manhattan9thgate

being a mentor, sharing the light of wisdom. lighting the dark path for others. that's quite a revelation. never occured to me before. Thanks.
feels right to me.
usually I would attribute the teaching role to either the High Priestess or Hierophant but The Hermit has his role to play as well.......and even in a more passive way as a symbol to others, a symbol of scholarship or as one who teaches by seting an example to follow.