TdM timeline?

delizt

I know this is a basic question, but I am wondering where I can find a list of the TdMs in historical order...which is the "first" known deck and which ones came next and so on until the editions of today.

Forgive me if this is a silly question and there's information right under my nose, I just haven't been able to locate a concise timeline, thank you all for your help in advance:))

delizt

thank you! That is a fantastic link and I am off to start reading:))) It is exactly what I was looking for.

delizt

ah! Bookmarking that link as well...I knew ATer's would point me in the right direction:)

Krystal Mystic

I don't know if this will be useful. I noticed the Taropedia website doesn't list the extant print sheets of early tarot cards, so I thought I would add them here.

The Cary sheet, circa 1500 or mid 16th century. This sheet is categorized as "pattern C", and to date, would be the earliest printed example of the family of cards that include the TdM.

The following are not in the same category as the TdM (i.e., pattern C) but are examples of other styles of printed cards:

The Rosenwald sheet, probably from Florence (Pattern A), circa 1500.

The Beaux-Arts/Rothschild sheets, possibly from Bologna (Pattern A), circa 1500.

The Budapest/Metrapolitan "Dick" sheets, probably from Venice (Pattern B), circa 1500.

ETA: More info on the A, B, C patterns can be found here.

delizt

many thanks again!! great info:)

DeToX

I tend to try to sort the decks on my hard drive, like date and name folders for each deck, and put a few assorted incomplete (legal/fair use) scans here and there into them. Makes cross referencing easier. I refer to the Kaplan encyclopedia series sometimes but they are ordered seemingly randomly!