A Book by Jodorowsky to go with the CAMOIN deck?

Pollux

Hi all!

It's been a little while... ;)

I am crossing my fingers as something cool is about to happen in the next 48 hours...

And in the meantime, I am considering study matter to go with the Camoin & Jodorowsky deck.

This actually because last week I stumbled in a translated copy of "La Via del Tarot" (spelling?) in my local library, that is a book by Mr Alex Jodosky (one of many others? I cannot say...) and was wondering if any of you my old-time fellows Aeclecticians had read it and what you might think about it.

It's just €28 euros and it's a thick book, so I'll probably drop by and get it all the same just for the pleasure of buying a decent (?) book written in italian, about tarot and with a somewhat modern perspective, and regarding Marseilles which I've only recently started t study purposefully and organically... At least, this is what I'd expect from Jodorowsky.

Thank you for opinions and/or suggestions about any other good book to go with the Camoin...
(Or other releases as well? We'll see if the cool thing happens tomorrow... *fingers crossed*)

ihcoyc

I read the Jodorowsky book in French some years ago. I was not all that impressed by that, and expressed some of the reasons for my disappointment in an ancient thread; there is a sequel as well.

My personal favorite among the French TdM books I have is Carole Sédillot's Ombres et lumières du Tarot. Sédillot seems to follow Paul Marteau, and as such may be closer to the "mainstream" or "traditional" approach to the TdM in France. This may not be all that helpful if you need Italian rather than French, though.

panentheosopher

Jodorowsky's book has English translation now

The Way of the tarot: The Spiritual teacher in the card by Jodorowsky is published by Inner traditions Books Imprint Destiny Books. New York

I happen to facilitate a weekly discussion teleconference using this title and Rachael Pollack's Tarot Wisdom.
The class or sessions are free and anyone is welcome to join in when they like. Pages to be discussed are posted at Www.tarothermeneutics.com as are handouts and other information.

Pollux

I'm the proud owner of a Hadar deck today.
I will scour the boards and stick to the useful content I can find here, no book could give me as much.
The reviews I have read of the Jodo-Mojo book did put me off it...
So instead of wasting money on it I'm considering to invest them for a second copy of the Hadar deck... :D
Thank you all for re-directing me to the proper threads! :)

Barleywine

Jodorowsky was the creative force/director/male lead of one of the strangest, most mystically surrealistic and most perversely compelling movies I've ever seen (El Topo). Too bad he couldn't bring some of that remarkable creativity to his tarot explorations. This looks like a book for "lying down and avoiding."

Sherryl

A review of Jodorowsky's Way of Tarot

Below is a link to a review of The Way of Tarot by Jodorowsky that I just posted to my blog. Upon reading this and another thread, I discovered this book has been universally reviled, excoriated, and proclaimed a worthless pile of drivel. If you're convinced of this, then you probably don't want to waste time on my review, as it's quite flattering.

It seems most of the negative reaction pertained to his deck, which I can certainly understand. I won the deck in a raffle over ten years ago and never used it, as I prefer more historic authenticity, or at least an absence of details that make me double over laughing.

The review was written for people who don't read French or Italian and are looking for a TdM instruction manual in English. It's for people who see tarot as a tool for doing readings and are less interested in historic purity.

Yes, the book has bombast, flights of fancy and surrealist excrescence. The ability to tolerate it will vary from one person to another. I actually found the book entertaining and an antidote to my overly-serious "historic purity above all" approach. I plan to ignore what's hard to stomach and refer to the useful parts as I break in my Pierre Madenie deck.

Oops!! Committed a faux pas and linked to my own blog. Link now removed. Click on my profile, go to my Tarot-Heritage website, click on the blog tab and the review will be near the top.

Inconnu

Sample the book...

I recently bought the pack & have been researching relevant online sites. I like it & found the Jodorowsky book intriguing.

I hope it's ok to post a link to it here;

http://www.scribd.com/doc/71402231/The-Way-of-Tarot

as resourse for those interested.

Its complex, convoluted & requires a lot of dedication. I'm not sure I'm that dedicated yet, but I'm working on it.

Best...

Kyoto Aloeswood

Inconnu, Thank You

I recently bought the pack & have been researching relevant online sites. I like it & found the Jodorowsky book intriguing.

I hope it's ok to post a link to it here;

http://www.scribd.com/doc/71402231/The-Way-of-Tarot

as resourse for those interested.

Its complex, convoluted & requires a lot of dedication. I'm not sure I'm that dedicated yet, but I'm working on it.

Best...

Inconnu, I know I am a little late to the thread, but I just joined these forums and the reason I joined was to find a study group for the Camoin...which is how I came across this thread. Ouch! Not a lot of fans out there of this deck, lol. I just wanted to thank you for publishing this link...

I originally purchased the Camoin back in the late 90s when it was first issued, I believe? and found it unremarkable. But I did not have Jodo's book. Fast forward to last year, when I found the book and was so intrigued had to repurchase the deck, this time with the book, as a "selfie" birthday gift. Divination is not my goal, which may explain why I feel so comfortable with it. I use it only to "divine" my "self" and, as far as that has gone, this deck has been spot on. I especially like your last line re: dedication. Yes. The Camoin is a strict disciplinarian that demands attention to no other.

Thanks again and be well. Kyoto Aloeswood

greatdane

I have just begun my exploration of the deck

I do not have the book. Wow, what really diverse opinions. There doesn't seem to be a lot of the middle of the road readers regarding the book. I will work with the deck and see how it reveals itself to me. I like it visually and while it may veer from the historically accurate decks in what was added or deleted, I still find it a TdM and I like how it looks and feels, so I'm a fan. I added this about the deck even though this is a thread about the book, because both have had their share of critics and fans and the book to me goes with the deck. Now I shall ponder whether or not to get the book. I will likely wait and work with the deck a bit more myself to see what transpires.