RWS Tarot 101 Two of Wands

PAMUYA

When I look into the Two of Wands I see a man who has personal power. He wears red, boldness and creative passion. The world in his hand, holding it up if in command of his destiny. He is in charge, He has the power of choice, to be his own person, to be independent. He is a man who demands attendtion and gets respect. (Don't remember where I heard this)-He is standing in the castle that is in the Ace of Wands, over looking his domain.

Direct: A choice to be made, reviewing the past with pride, Will power and Courage, New enterprise, Good things to come, Time to Act, A business union/partnership

Reversed: Fear of power, lack of self confidence, ashamed of achievements, domination by others, lack of interest in work, creative ability blocked.

Since I am so new to Tarot, I don't know all the symbolism and meanings, please share your knowledge and feelings on the Two of Wands...

GryffinSong

I imagine that he feels a little pensive. Contemplating all his options, and they do seem to be endless. Gazing across the water, perhaps wondering what's out there. When could he leave? Is the ship ready? Who might be coming to visit?

I don't remember thinking this before, so this probably reflects my fears of being stuck, but today I wonder if he's feeling a bit overwhelmed with his resonsibilities. Wistfully looking at where he could go if he didn't have so many responsibilities. I'm looking at card images on taroteca, and I get a stronger feeling of the wistful looking at the radiant version. Not as evident on the "regular" version.

PAMUYA

GryffinSong, What are your thoughts on the globe he is holding? I see that he holds the world in his hands or understanding the whole idea, standing above and seeing the big picture.

I do see your point..this card is telling me CHOICE, he has a choice, a decision to make. I don't see the being "overwhelmed" only when I reverse the card. Perhaps my cards don't show me the detail you have.

Good points!! Thanks...

peacestartswithme

two of wands

I see a man looking out into his future. He holds the world in his hands, but still looks for support from where he currently is in life. It also feels to me like the message could be that sometimes we focus too much on the small world we create for ourselves and never learn to see past that. The red hat comes out powerfully, and the purple mountains in the backgrounds speak to the higher self in as the outter boundaries of thought.

This is what I am getting on an intuitive level just at first glance at the card today.

I just LOVE connecting with them.

Mike-

GryffinSong

He holds the whole world in his hands, at least in potentiality. I suspect the overwhelmed part is me projecting how I'm feeling onto the card. LOL

Sassyjackal said:
GryffinSong, What are your thoughts on the globe he is holding? I see that he holds the world in his hands or understanding the whole idea, standing above and seeing the big picture.

I do see your point..this card is telling me CHOICE, he has a choice, a decision to make. I don't see the being "overwhelmed" only when I reverse the card. Perhaps my cards don't show me the detail you have.

Good points!! Thanks...

HoneyBea

The Two of Wands was also discussed in a thread further down, I wrote a little bit about what I thought the symbolism in this card meant, I copy it here for your information, hope it will be helpful.

The Two of Wands in the Original Rider Waite Deck has a fair bit of symbolism in it that will lead us to how it could be interpreted.
We have a man who is dressed in very earthy colours (grounded in reality) holding one wand in is hand while the other is fixed in place — perhaps the fixed one stands for the actions already taken and the one he holds for the actions he has yet to take. In his other hand is a globe of the world — this could indicate here ambitious ideas. Upon his head is a red hat may well suggest that he has active thoughts and he looks across the sea to the distant mountains — ideas that may just take him further than he has already come.
On the stone battlement is the coat of arms of Roses and Lillies and again could well signify the idea of choice.

~HoneyBea~

PAMUYA

Hat

Mike- what is the red hat telling you?

The crowned one

Starting with the two aspect this card doubles or splits your power. In my personal journal I see I have: thoughts and desires in balance, a new journey, bold plans and promising prospects, all pretty positive stuff. I am not so sure anymore.

This is a strange card. It is important to me that I remeber Waite himself had said this card is where the final desision is left to the intuiton of the reader. He had trouble with this card!

Waite had access to all the cartomancy information from Etteilla to the Golden Dawn and all he could come up with was : "A tall man looks from a battlemented roof over sea and shore; he holds a globe in his right hand, while a staff in his left rests on the battlement; another is fixed in a ring. The Rose and Cross and Lily should be noticed on the left side. Divinatory Meanings: Between the alternative readings there is no marriage possible; on the one hand, riches, fortune, magnificence; on the other, physical suffering, disease, chagrin, sadness, mortification. The design gives one suggestion; here is a lord overlooking his dominion and alternately contemplating a globe; it looks like the malady, the mortification, the sadness of Alexander amidst the grandeur of this world's wealth. Reversed: Surprise, wonder, enchantment, emotion, trouble, fear.

Waite is describing the balancing effect of opposites and therefore its Two aspect more then its wands aspect. (Ying/Yang hot/cold sad/happy)

This card is ruled by Mars, Decan: Aries degree's 1 through 10.

Mather's and the Golden dawn saw this card in a positive light, Etteilla did not. Waite seemed to waffle in-between the two sets of traditional interpretations with his card. Personally I think this one is all Pamela and Waite is just describing her painting.

PAMUYA

Waite said himself:use your intutition

When You look at the card and let your mind wonder, what do you see, what is it saying to you. Does it take you anywhere, do you get any gut feelings, do you see anyone, or does it remind you of someone? Sometimes during meditation I will consentrate on a card, sometimes it gives me new insights, sometimes not. I have not yet been very successful with this card. Interested in hearing your insights.

Cardinal

when i look at the wand before him and the wand behind him - i think of his abilities to direct his future - with the stationary wand so close behind him, he has the benefit of learning from his past - he keeps his previous learning experinces close at hand so that he may utilize this to make future decisions. this, i think, is all about options - and a gentle reminder that we all have options - as broad and as vast as they may be.