Cartomancer, upcoming magazine

tarotbear

I would have a problem with an 'easy-breezy, fluffy-bunny, crunchy-granola' magazine that costs $12 an issue! I would hope there would be some 'substance', so I will have to wait until they have 3 or 4 issues out to peruse before I would take a subscription out.

cassildra

I would have a problem with an 'easy-breezy, fluffy-bunny, crunchy-granola' magazine that costs $12 an issue! I would hope there would be some 'substance', so I will have to wait until they have 3 or 4 issues out to peruse before I would take a subscription out.

I agree with you entirely. I'm tired of 'fluffy-bunny' stuff, and want actual substance, you know? I want something that will help me learn in my burgeoning journey, not something that will just make me sigh and toss it aside.

I'd also love to see e-editions, as that's how I read most everything these days--but I'm not sure if someone mentioned that already?

kalliope

So I was all, "we don't have anything else to compare it to, haha!" but then I remembered the magazine put out by Tarot Association (Katz & Goodwin), Tarosophist International. I have no experience of that one since I'm not a member, but if anyone else has any thoughts on it, please share! I'll also be curious to hear how these two publications will compare. (Other than the expanded subject area of The Cartomancer to cover more than tarot.)

I would have a problem with an 'easy-breezy, fluffy-bunny, crunchy-granola' magazine that costs $12 an issue!

So true!
I'm sure most of us will end up doing something similar to you: buying a few single issues to see if it's consistent and really worth the subscription.

I'd also love to see e-editions, as that's how I read most everything these days--but I'm not sure if someone mentioned that already?

I mentioned the electronic version in passing because I'd be interested in it, especially if it's a bit cheaper. Their website says, "The Cartomancer is available as a printed journal and will soon be available in e-format." But they don't mention exact format (PDF? Or something more proprietary like Zinio?), and they don't mention price anywhere that I can see.

cassildra

I mentioned the electronic version in passing because I'd be interested in it, especially if it's a bit cheaper. Their website says, "The Cartomancer is available as a printed journal and will soon be available in e-format." But they don't mention exact format (PDF? Or something more proprietary like Zinio?), and they don't mention price anywhere that I can see.

Yeah. I wish they would give more info about that. Cheaper is good, but I'm more interested in--can they fit more content into the e-version? What format will be used? And, I wonder, why is the more expensive to produce paper format coming first?

AJ

I'll ask her to drop by and feed our interest.

What I thought of when I saw Journal was the Llewellyn Reader, which I thought was well worth the cost.
One article in particular resonated so much I think of it here nearly every day.

In part the cost of a publication is how they pay their writers, which can be 3 free issues to $200.00....
It would take me a couple of days to write and then polish something someone would pay for, and I wouldn't do it for free magazines.

Anyway, I'll ask her to stop by

cassildra

What I thought of when I saw Journal was the Llewellyn Reader, which I thought was well worth the cost. I read them through 3 or 4 times before I passed them on to Moonbow.
One article in particular resonated so much I think of it here nearly every day.

In part the cost of a publication is how they pay their writers, which can be 3 free issues to $200.00....
It would take me a couple of days to write and then polish something someone would pay for, and I wouldn't do it for free magazines.

Oh, that'd be lovely! I'd love to chat with her. I hope my negativity doesn't turn her off; I'm just poor. :laugh: I am interested, but the price is really kicking me in the teeth.

kalliope

More information from the publisher would be great AJ.

And I definitely get your point about payments to writers being part of the cost. Writers should be compensated for their work, especially if the content is substantial and time consuming. It's easy for us all to get into the mind-frame these days that "information should be free" with the internet and all, but there is no obligation for all work to be given freely, and writing is indeed (hard) work.

The Llewellyn Reader you mention -- you mean the annual book of essays? I never read any of those, but you've piqued my interest.

SarahJoy

In addition to the quality of content, I'd like to know more about the physical quality. At $14 (including US shipping), I'd want something nice enough to keep around and put on the bookshelf.

Babalon Jones

What I thought of when I saw Journal was the Llewellyn Reader, which I thought was well worth the cost. I read them through 3 or 4 times before I passed them on to Moonbow.

I checked out the "submissions" link; it doesn't mention that writers are paid at all...

Barleywine

So I was all, "we don't have anything else to compare it to, haha!" but then I remembered the magazine put out by Tarot Association (Katz & Goodwin), Tarosophist International. I have no experience of that one since I'm not a member, but if anyone else has any thoughts on it, please share! I'll also be curious to hear how these two publications will compare. (Other than the expanded subject area of The Cartomancer to cover more than tarot.)

Here's a free sample copy of the Tarosophist magazine from their website.

http://www.tarotassociation.net/free/TarosophistSample.pdf

I think the bar is pretty high.