Tarot And Religion

rcb30872

I have tried some religions, including being a born again Christian for a total of 3 and a half weeks. It really is not me, I don't like to be told what to do at the best of times, LOL. So, believer in God, but no religion. I mix and match the guardian angel, spiritual guide, the higher power, etc all the time. I don't use one in particular, whichever one tickles my fancy at the time.

As for tarot, I think it is more of a personal thing. But since religion somewhat shapes a person, I guess so. Never really gave it much thought.

motsa

Originally, I just knew I was not a Christian. Despite being raised Protestant, I have too many personal issues with the bible. I have a fascination with the man Jesus but only from a historical and scientific, not spiritual, point of view. My mother is still disappointed that I stopped going to church 30 years ago.

As I explored other religions, I realized that I'm really not comfortable with being a part of any organized religion. So, "free form spiritualist" pretty much describes me as well. I take bits and pieces from various sources and combine them into a spiritualism that is purely me, one that, like me, is constantly growing and refining itself.

I don't think we'll live to see the day that the world is in complete peace; perfection.
I hope not. Wouldn't that be a bit boring, day in and day out? Take away the lows and you lose the highs; take away the bad and you lose any way to appreciate the good; take away the dark and the light becomes unbearable.

MistressNatasha

Hmm...

Breezy: That's normally what you see in the movies. :p Looks pretty cool. But I have yet to experience that. :p I believe that nobody (or very few people) here has had that happen. :)

Faolainn Storm: I haven't lost any cards; so far. :p One will find a way to come up missing. I just know it! :(

Gregory: That would be nice, aye?

rcb30872: I guess I mix and match as well, calling it whatever I feel like at the time. :)

motsa: I guess it would be a bit boring. But what I'm more directing towards is the major issues going on now. But it would take a miracle to bring the whole world together. :(

~Mistress Natasha

Indigo Rose

MistressNatasha said:
Fudugazi: You do have a good point, as well. Gosh... everyone is making good points! Haha! Maybe all the world really needs is to be open and accepting.

Amen. 'What the World needs now....is LOVE, sweet LOVE'!!

I am a born-again Christian, but no longer a member of any church or Dogma. I serve and live for the Lord Jesus Christ. My religion is to LOVE and BE LOVED....just like Jesus commanded us to do! :love:

MistressNatasha

Well said!

Indigo Rose said:
My religion is to LOVE and BE LOVED....just like Jesus commanded us to do! :love:

That is very well said! =] The world needs some love. Not neglect. Because, really, if we neglect the world, we are neglecting ourselves, no? =\

~Mistress Natasha

Raya

I was raised Protestant myself, and am still a member of the United Methodist church. I don't see any problem with me reading tarot cards. I just think of it as prayer backwards. ;) As a Christian I often hear people say we must not only tell God things, but let God tell us things too. So I think of the cards as God's instant messages. Before reading the cards, I pray for the ability to understand God's message.

In this thread I've read a bit about people being distrustful of or simply disliking organized religion, Christianity in particular. For me though, I've met a few Bible-thumpers, some fundamentalists and other crazies, but growing up, in general I was surrounded by non-hypocritical, kind, loving Christians. My parents never berated gays and lesbians or people of other religions, quite the contrary. My mom took me to meet a gay friend of hers when I was little. I can't remember my pastor ever mentioning hell, nor was there pressure to be "righteous" or whatever.

For me organized religion is a stable foundation, it's something strong and sturdy when things around me (or in me) are shaky. A lot of my spiritual ideas have changed and grown, but my religion is stable. It gives me comfort to know there's a religious community out there to support me. The age and timelessness of the rituals (Communion, Baptism, etc) provide a connection between me and the ancient roots of the church, not to mention God.

Lexie said:
No, I don't agree it's the same..when you pray you just hope God will give you what you want.. when you do a spell you try to turn things in your favor, you're active not pathetic..does it make any sense?

Pathetic? Wow. I don't see asking for help from one with more ability and know-how than you "pathetic," perse.

Of course, I don't see anything wrong with casting spells either, as long as you aren't calling on "dark powers" or whatever you'd like to call it. Actually, I've considered trying spell casting before instead of just praying, but I feel that I don't have the understanding and vision that God does. What I want might not actually be good for me; what I want might not actually turn out to be what I thought I wanted to begin with! Also, I don't always clearly understand how my desires affect others. I don't really know everything that's going on in the world--past, present, or future.

So I tell God what I want, adding that ultimately I trust God will do what's best for all, even if it means I won't get what I want.

I don't just "hope" God will give me what I want, I have faith in God's omniscience, omnipotence, and benevolence. Faith is different than hope. If you want to call that "passive" or "pathetic," then that's fine, but I think of myself as wise.

Eowyn

Raya said:
For me organized religion is a stable foundation, it's something strong and sturdy when things around me (or in me) are shaky. A lot of my spiritual ideas have changed and grown, but my religion is stable. It gives me comfort to know there's a religious community out there to support me.

I was raised in a country mostly catholic. I was raised as one, and studied in catholic schools and all that. I really don't feel good at all in mass, I can't feel love in catholic religion, I feel suffering and other things Im not posting here because I dont want to hurt nobody's feelings. I just can't BE catholic... I fail in the community aspect. I just feel tremendously uneasy with the people that go to mass, with the message the priest gives, and I have plenty of experience in that, I didnt go to a couple of services and got bored. Its really something big in my life, droping a religion.

And I really miss the community part... I never lived it... the stability, having a community there for you. But its just not "me"! Its not how I am. And I have learned to be spiritual and have higher values than those shown to me, I have a ethic code giving structure to my mind. I have learned by experience that Loving is the best feeling and the best attitude. I dont feel less for not having a religion. Im totaly free from that.

Tarot brings that side to me, the spiritual side. Somehow is the tool that remindes me that Im not lone, that there are energies sorround me in a plane wich is not material... and at the end we are not just dust in the space.

Thanks for such a wonderfull thread.

motsa

Pathetic? Wow. I don't see asking for help from one with more ability and know-how than you "pathetic," per se.
Perhaps Lexie meant "passive", not "pathetic"?

Lexie

Raya said:
Pathetic? Wow. I don't see asking for help from one with more ability and know-how than you "pathetic," perse.

Of course, I don't see anything wrong with casting spells either, as long as you aren't calling on "dark powers" or whatever you'd like to call it. Actually, I've considered trying spell casting before instead of just praying, but I feel that I don't have the understanding and vision that God does. What I want might not actually be good for me; what I want might not actually turn out to be what I thought I wanted to begin with! Also, I don't always clearly understand how my desires affect others. I don't really know everything that's going on in the world--past, present, or future.

So I tell God what I want, adding that ultimately I trust God will do what's best for all, even if it means I won't get what I want.

I don't just "hope" God will give me what I want, I have faith in God's omniscience, omnipotence, and benevolence. Faith is different than hope. If you want to call that "passive" or "pathetic," then that's fine, but I think of myself as wise.

I see what you mean Raya.. when I said prayer is pathetic, I meant exactly that.. when you pray you hope/have faith that someone else (God) will give you what you want. When you cast a spell, you try to get what you want by yourself, even if it's not what you really need. That's what I meant by "pathetic". When you pray you hope or have faith, call is as you want, when you cast a spell you try to "manipulate" higher forces to give you what you want. I might be all wrong, I don't know. This doesn't mean I think spell casting is right or wrong..but the truth is I don't use spell casting either. I also have faith in God :). But this doesn't mean I wouldn't or won't try it in the future.

~Lexie~

Lexie

motsa said:
Perhaps Lexie meant "passive", not "pathetic"?

Yes!! exactly, thank you motsa! :)

~Lexie~

PS: I must apologise again for my poor English I'm afraid...