Best Bargains

minrice

I'd have to say that my best Tarot bargain was maybe about $10.00? or so for my treasuerd Morgan Greer, about half the price I initially paid for it, the exact same deck. Yes, I ended up buying it twice, although now that I think about it that deck cost me $34.00 total so maybe not such a bargain ;) But maybe so when I tell the rest of the story...

I began studying the cards about seven years ago, but not too long into it my partner at the time was very unhappy about my Tarot interests. So, I sold that deck and my Tarot books to a secondhand bookstore and tried to forget about Tarot. In the year and a half that followed we broke off our engagement, and later I found myself back in that same bookstore looking for Tarot books. My interest was revived! I found a couple books and went to check out. The checkout counter was wood but it had a glass front with old books and cool trinkets inside for sale, it was kind of dark inside but you could see in it if you bent down and really looked.

There, in the very back, were my cards. My Morgan Greer had waited for me nearly a year and half. I knew they were mine, they still had the sticker from the store I initially purchased them from.
$10.00 to recover a piece of myself I lost along the way? Best bargain ever!

jackdaw*

Oh yes, and another I just remembered. A year or so back. Two decks on eBay for a Buy It Now of $25: Vieville and Cloisters :)

BeyondtheVeil

Gerbear said:
Sure, the site is the Bodhitree Bookstore at Http://bodhitree.com/

Thanks for the link Gerbear! :heart:

Thanks to your site I found the book "Professional Tarot" for $11.50 including shipping! :D

Most of my 'good deals' though are usually just found in the Trading Forum. lol
I can find some great deals online though. I haven't found any used book stores around here yet. They all seem to be for buying new books/decks.

Great thread! :thumbsup:
BeyondtheVeil

photokat

aurarcana said:
Goodwill - why didn't I think of that?!?

Last time I went to Goodwill searching for tarot decks, I walked out with a vacuum cleaner for $19.99.

But I doubt that it would qualify as a "Tarot Bargain".

BeyondtheVeil

photokat said:
Last time I went to Goodwill searching for tarot decks, I walked out with a vacuum cleaner for $19.99.

But I doubt that it would qualify as a "Tarot Bargain".

:laugh: Well "Tarot" inspired you to go there in the first place right? See.. Tarot bargain! :D

Metafizzypop

The best tarot bargain I ever got was on the Da Vinci Enigma. It cost me one dollar USD. As in $1. I had to pay 4 bucks for shipping, so in the end it cost me a total of $5. It was on Amazon Marketplace. Not bad.

romanticdreamz

I think the best bargain for me so far has been a brand new copy of the Da Vinci Tarot for 94pence.

(It was when Borders was going into administration and the cashier couldn't find the right price so she guessed and put a random price on it. Felt a bit guilty but I still couldn't say no. Managed to get the Circle of Life tarot there too for about 30% off the marked price.)

Oh, Whatkins in London is having a 25% off sale by the way. unsure on what but I think it's on most stock so I have to get back there and check it out.

metal_romantic

I bought the Alchemical (the original one with he companion book, not the renewed) and the Lord of The Rings together (plus the Dragon Tarot by Donaldson/Pracownik, but that's in print and easy to find) on ebay for $46 (plus $10 postage). I just received the lot today and am so stoked!

WyrdRaven

One day I walked into Borders to find that they had a sale table set up. I found the Halloween, pocket RWS and mini Albano all for around a dollar or two each. Gifted a friend with one of the Halloweens. A couple of years later, I walked into a clearance bookstore (it used to open in a vacant storefront for two months every year) and found an Osho Zen for around four dollars. A lady in line got so excited about it that I let her have it (I already had one at home). Those are my only "scores." I am not an early bird, so I tend to miss out on the worms!

olivia1

Bohemian Gothic Bargain (thanks annoymous AT member)

I'm not sure if this would qualify to most as a great bargain since the deck is being re-released..but it is one to me. Awhile back ago, I mentioned I found the Bohemian Gothic set for $30 but then the seller had a change of heart. Well, recently I found the Victorian Romantic set for $90 online. My cousin loves the deck and I hear about it so much that I finally gave in and decided to purchase a set for myself. But then I saw that another seller had the set in excellent condition available for just $50. I immediately purchased it.

But instead of feeling happy, I actually felt guilty. Partly because my heart wasn't really into the deck, anyway..but mostly because I really felt one day this seller would realize what she had done and regret it. Especially since I saw she was a tarot collector. I just knew one day she would look back on this transaction and regret it. So I asked her for a refund and told her that I thought she should hold onto the set, as its very sought after. I told her she was free to resell it to me for $50 now but I wanted to make sure before hand that she knew what she was doing.

She decided that she loved the set so much that she did indeed want to hold onto it forever but she mentioned that she had a lot of decks and maybe there was another one I would like to buy? I jokingly told her "Yes. The Bohemian Gothic Tarot set please. I don't suppose you'd have it, do you?" Even if she did, I expected her to tell me "no" since the book alone is currently on bid for $99.00 on ebay (with 4 days left and its reserve price still hasn't been met).

She knew this yet she kindly sold me her BG set (in excellent condition) for $50 and even throws in a Bohemian Gothic themed tarot bag from MRP (The Tarot Reader which I believe is also sold out)! Later on, I learn the seller is also an AT member...and she still has yet to tell me who she is on here. All I know is that she rarely posts but she is a member and that is why I am sharing this, because I think its cool that my best purchase was made through a fellow member (though, oddly enough, outside of AT). So I thought that fellow AT members would like to hear about the kind ATer amongst us.