My new cauldron

Snowhunter

I picked up this cute little ceramic pot to use as a cauldron (is it still called that if it's not cast iron?). I poured in some incense sand, placed some crystals in it, and lit up a couple of Morning Star incense sticks to enjoy while reading Holistic Tarot. I should be in bed sleeping off this cold but I couldn't wait to try out this setup.

Tigerangel

Sounds good, I like reading while I have incense burning, do you a picture of your ceramic cauldron? Would love to see it.

Snowhunter

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439223381.719214.jpg. Oops! I forgot to post the picture.

Tigerangel

That's lovely it does look like a cauldron, so guess there's no problem in calling it a ceramic one, I just got a cherry quartz skull in the post this morning, you've put me in the notion now to create a little Zen type garden now :)

Tanga

That's pretty. :)

Strictly speaking a recognisable cauldron has legs (usually 3 - or 4) and a handle. :)
So that it can be carried, hung over the hearth, and placed over a fire with enough space underneath for the flames to heat up the contents inside (cooking). It usually also has a lid.
Though small ceramic accessory cauldrons don't usually.

South Africans use a cauldron for cooking (If they're more traditional - and/or perhaps can't afford the money to have a proper cooking stove) - very much like the "proverbial witches cauldron".
In East Africa - we call it a "Jiko" and it looks less cauldron-like and more like a contraption which has a drawer at the bottom to put hot coals in to heat the food in the container/pot that is placed over the top.

But of course really - a cauldron in magical/ritual terms - can be whatever container you like that to you, adequately symbolises it.
Cauldron, represents the 5th element - Spirit. (Or alternately, from some popular culture - depending on what sort of books you read - the magician in balance with, and in control of, the 4 elements. hopefully within hirself foremost! :) ).

When I get home I'll post you guys a photo of my cauldron.
(cast iron, about the size of a football - bought it from a Witchcraft shop in Glanstonbury England). I don't do incense often as I'm sensitive to scent. More often I'll use a mild essential oil in a burner for that. Or use or make an essential oil spray.

My cauldron is filled with rice - and I usually put a candle in it.

Glass Owl

I like your ceramic cauldron and how you put a few crystals in it. :thumbsup:

I have a brass one that I picked up at a thrift store for a few dollars. It has three legs and handles on the sides. I wanted to use it as an incense stick burner but I didn't have any sand so I used baking soda and that works great. I don't know if crystals and baking soda would be safe combination but you have inspired me, maybe I will put some shells in there.

MoonGypsy

but I didn't have any sand so I used baking soda and that works great.

In lieu of sand, Salt works better than baking soda in IMHO. :love:

ETA: i have quite a variety of different sized cauldrons that i have gathered over the
past 30 some years or so--Mostly cast iron, but there is also a brass one, and couple of
copper ones, too. :) i have always been attracted to cauldrons, since i was a small child.

Glass Owl

In lieu of sand, Salt works better than baking soda in IMHO. :love:

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I don't have much salt here except for some himalayan salt that we use for cooking. (And my hubby would have had a fit if I had used that up! }) ) I found the recommendation online for using the baking soda (and fortunately have a ton of it) so I used that and I found it worked a lot better than sand ever did for me. The sticks firmly stay in place and never tip over. My success with the baking soda may have to do with the fact that I live in high humidity so it doesn't take much for the baking soda to firm up.

Snowhunter

I just got a cherry quartz skull in the post this morning, you've put me in the notion now to create a little Zen type garden now :)
That sounds lovely, I'm now on the search for some cherry quartz.

Thank you for all the information! I would really love a cast iron cauldron but that'd look too "witchy", and I live amongst non-spiritual types. I'll be content for now to look at pictures and play with the cauldrons at my local crystal shop.

MoonGypsy

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I don't have much salt here except for some himalayan salt that we use for cooking. (And my hubby would have had a fit if I had used that up! }) ) I found the recommendation online for using the baking soda (and fortunately have a ton of it) so I used that and I found it worked a lot better than sand ever did for me. The sticks firmly stay in place and never tip over. My success with the baking soda may have to do with the fact that I live in high humidity so it doesn't take much for the baking soda to firm up.

Hi G O! :love: Well...If it works, use it, i say! :D We always have tons of both
sea salt and baking soda around here. i use salt for so many different things, even
though we cook low salt for our meals.

A cheaper alternative to the fairly expensive sand sold for incense bowls or cauldrons, is
the sand sold [big bags] for children's sand boxes. You can get that most anywhere,
fairly cheaply. i think we bought a big bag at Wal-Mart. ;)