Le Fou - how may it be read?

jmd

If one places the Fou last in the series, and the sequence of Atouts from left to right, then he certainly appears as walking out of the series and onwards... in a reading, heading maybe out of tradition and onto his own personal path.

If placed last in the series, and the sequence of Atouts positioned from left to right (Hebrew-reading fashion), then he seems to be heading int he 'wrong' direction, against the natural flow, and back into the fold of the whole journey just travelled.

In any case, he seems to be very much his own.

To not hesitate to walk one's path, to not hesitate to take as companion any of God's creatures (I have once been reminded of St Francis with this card), of walking as did the Perfects of Cathar tradition - openly yet secretly.

Attached is the Fou from the Japanese printed 'Angel' Marseille style Tarot

Attachments

• Fou Angel Tarot.jpg
    Fou Angel Tarot.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 194

Moonbow

In a reading the I see Le Fou as representing freedom, in all aspects of the word. He goes where life will take him and is free of worry also. How nice it must be to live a life without worry, fear, or restriction of any sort, the lucky who can live as near to this as possible today, are usually very creative and content people - in my experience.

He seems to look into the distant future, as though he cannot wait to get there. This reminds me of a trip I took to the forest a few weeks ago, in search of the perfect sunset. I drove along this very straight road (originally a runway) and I saw hardly any other cars. My eye was fixed on the sunset in the distance, and the future. As I drove, I felt as though I could reach the sunset, I too had a true sense of freedom then.....

maks

There is a quote from the new testament to the effect that if you call someone a fool you risk damnation. Unless I see the same spiritual grace and love within the fool as I want to see in myself, totality is lost. I see this card placed just before The World--the final purification and integration of all that is.

tmgrl2

Moonbow, I love your analogy about driving through the forest, with your eyes fixed on the sunset.

I, too, see Le Mat as freedom. One who walks between the boundaries, who is beholden to no one, one who cares little what others think of him/her.

Maks, I have never thought of this concept recently until you mention it. Yes, we must always treat others as we would be treated, would be an extension of how we view others. All too quickly, we call others "foolish" and in doing so, we use the word with a connotation that implies that someone has done something less than "wise."

Who among us has not done something foolish?

It is when we do and then learn from that action, behavior, thought, that we grow.

I also think of the court jester, aka, the King's Fool, who could, of all the people in court, get away with saying things that no one else would dream of saying, even though what is said, may be the truth.

With this concept, I am reminded that it is usually best to be true to oneself. Sometimes, this means not being a conformist...having the courage to speak the truth (although it may be wise to choose our forums and our words, since we don't wear the hat of the Fool, nor are we necessarily in the good graces of those who are in power).

So, then, with a bit of a negative spin, depending upon where our friend, Le Mat, appears in our spread, we may have to caution against folly, irresponsibility, willfull ignorance.

Le Mat's hat in the Hadar and in the Camoin, is "in the clouds." Not entirely here on our plane? Also, the little red ball at the end of the cap? Is this person an instigator? One who really doesn't give a fig about what people think of him/her?

No rules.

No laws.

No time/space boundaries.

Wisdom ? or foolishness?

Free soul? or Anarchist?

Genius? Poet?

Lost all and a vagabond?

Or found the secret and needs nothing material?

terri