Use of Card Numbers in Reading

seven stars

I'm glad you posted this because I have kind of an expansion on the question. Maybe it should be in another thread, who knows.

MY question is, with the playing card correspondences. If you have a deck with 2 men and 2 women, should both the women be Ace of Spades and both men be Ace of Hearts? Or should one man be Ace of Hearts & one be Ace of Spades? (& obviously one facing left one facing right).

And with numbering, it would seem to me like it would be confusing to have both the order number and the playing card corresponding number.

I can't imagine any reason to ever have them with roman numerals? That's just kind of a waste of limited space.

In fact, to me, if you don't read with playing card correspondences it just seems like it would make the most sense to have no numbers or card inserts - just the image. Does anyone use the card number to help them with a reading? Or is it just to make sure you're not missing a card in your deck?

Barleywine

I don't use the card numbers for anything other than helping me identify the GT house locations they correspond to, and sometimes to help find a reference..

greatdane

I like arabic numbers just because I always reorder a deck, just the way I do, my preference. And while I can do it without numbers, a number at the middle top makes it easier. I don't USE numbers to read, the only benefit is in reordering.

But many readers don't put decks in order, so it may be of no benefit.

Ultimately, all I need is the Lenormand image. Again, JUST MY personal preference in the 1-36 numbers on top of cards.

I don't read playing cards, so those inserts are wasted space for me. I don't mind a playing card symbol discreetly at the bottom right of each card though.

seven stars

This is very helpful. Does ANYONE actually really use card inserts in here? or anywhere?

Some day I'm going to have to really study the whole Lenormand process. I'm a Tarot reader, I only started making Lenormands because people asked for them & because I really like the whole idea of them & I like the blending of images, but I have no idea how to do the grand tableau or coupling cards, and definitely don't know anything about the use of inserts.

I'm making a Samhain Lenormand to replace the 2015 deck & to go along with the 2017 Samhain Deck of the Bastard.

The other question would be.....the Samhain DOB has a coffin border.....would that drive you guys crazy?

Barleywine

What stopped me from using the card inserts is that the suit qualities are different in Lenormand from those in the cartomantic world, particularly spades and clubs. In Lenormand, many of the most difficult cards are associated with clubs, while in cartomancy, spades is the most negative suit. That makes it hard to bring cartomantic meanings to bear on the cards, and I haven't found a way to reconcile this (yet).

snowmoon

hi, i do read the card insert for additional information. but not often.

i have one deck with 2 man, 2 woman, but i don't really read the insert of this deck ,

i only read the numbers for timing. about the numbers can help me to locate the house in GT , i just remember all the house, rather then read the numbers..

one of my deck, doesn't have numbers on it.

reall

@sevenstars Wow! you totally nailed that extra man/woman card numbering/insert thing!:)
absolutely agree it makes sense to change it!:) btw i never actually bother to look at extra cards for m/w as I do all my readings with *traditional representation regardless querent orientation!:) just refer it *you and *partner and problem solved!:) lol

also agree roman numerals should be out!:)

btw I DO USE numbers(numerology thing! but do know most people use it for timing?:) and insert and those are actually important to me, but that's because I have my own way to read them!:) but prefer insert that take minimal space or stylized like Gilded and Middia Lenormand!:) understand most people don't like to bother w that!:) as once you learn card meaning you don't need anything but clearly recognizable image?:)