Mini Decks...?

Le Fanu

Three types

By my criteria there are those silly miniature doll's house ones which are just pointless. The key ring-type ones.

Then there are the mini ones which you shuffle with slightly cupped hands. Like LoS minis, Grimaud Marseilles, Mini Connolly etc

Then there are the pocket ones; Universal Waite, the smallest Thoth. These are the ones which are generally comfortable for most people. About the size of a travelling soap tin.

But that's just how I think of them. :D

robynleigh

I have three mini decks that I carry around occasionally.

Hanson-Roberts, Universal Rider-Waite and Tarot Nova which is this deck from Running Press that is part of a small kit called "Tarot, The Complete Kit."

Honestly, though, I hardly every pull out decks when I'm out and about. I mostly use the iPhone application "Beautiful Tarot." I find that it is surprising accurate. It's no substitution for a real deck, but I rarely have time to start pulling cards in the middle of the day.

Pagan X

You can get the RWS in a lot of sizes.

There's a Chinese unauthorized tiny deck. Only good for dollhouses
There's the USG Mini deck.
There's the USG Pocket deck. That's about the size of a deck of conventional playing cards.
Then there's the standard deck.
And a USG giant deck, which could stand to have better reproduction quality (harumph). Useful for teaching.

The Universal Waite also has
Tiny--very washed out colors and would make you crazy anyway
Mini-- haven't seen one yet. Wonder why they don't do one?
Pocket--best reproduction of the paintings, printed in China, my fave
Standard--colors are washed out for osme cards, but not so bad as the tiny

Morwenna

I only have two minis: the Grimaud Marseilles, which is unfortunately missing a card as of last year sometime, and the RWS, which lives near our computer, and is very clearly printed. The only part that's hard for me to read is the copyright in the corner of the border! :D

Chiska

I *JUST* received a copy of the Tarot of the White Cats Mini. I need to make it a little bag, but I think that it is going to be perfect for me to carry with me. In the box, it is a bit unwieldy - the box is 3-1/2" x 2" x 1-1/2". A bag would be nice.

I have fairly poor vision, but I can see these cards well enough. The card stock is adequate. Not glossy - so no annoying reflection. The size is just under 3-1/4" x 1-1/2".

And it has cute kitties on it.

I want a pocket sized Thoth, but for now, I will be happy with the white cats!

Herzog

is the mini grimaud oop? i'm picking up a used one tomorrow -it's missing one card- when i did a search online, nothing comes up... i'd like to buy a new one

emmsma

I'm quite fond of my minis and pocket decks.

I have had a Rider Mini for almost 25 years now. Its a fave. Others that I carry often are the LS Gnomes Mini and the African Tarot, which is more pocket sized.

Tarot of Trees is another small, very portable, very readable deck.

Pocket Universal Waite is a fantastic deck. Everyone should have one.

Jesii

Wow, loads of choice there. I was considering carrying a 'pocket' deck, but mine is a really small handbag, so I'm after a 'mini' but Le Fanu's comments on shuffleability is making me wonder... :)

nisaba

Jesii said:
I'm looking for a mini deck to carry around in my really-rather-small handbag, and was wondering who carries a small deck with them? I don't mean that full size deck you take everywhere, but a small one, just for your handbag or pocket?
<grin> I carry two standard-sized ones around in a rather small handbag. If necessary, you can make space by getting a smaller wallet, or as I've been doing the last few weeks, carrying around two bags.

I used to buy mini-decks in the past, mostly not for their portability so much as their affordability, but the lustre of mini-decks has pretty much worn off when the failing eyesight of middle age kicked in ...

Jesii

nisaba said:
<grin> I carry two standard-sized ones around in a rather small handbag. If necessary, you can make space by getting a smaller wallet, or as I've been doing the last few weeks, carrying around two bags.
Who needs money, tarot decks are more impostant :)
I see your logic tho, I could just carry and normal deck, like the Vannessa, and re-arrange my handbag so The wallet had less in it. I'm off to Uni anyway, so I won't need as much. Just thinking a smaller deck would be less obviously 'taroty' in public?