What are some of the "thicker" decks?

Richard

My Smith-Waite Centennial which came with the Commemorative set is my thickest deck. It is so thick and stiff that it would be difficult to riffle shuffle.

Barleywine

As I look at my decks, I'm seeing that some are exceptionally "rigid" even if not especially "thick." The Hadar TdM is like this, as is the Illuminati. If they feel like they're so stiff they would crack if I tried to riffle them, I think they should be included in this category. (To be honest, though, the two usually go hand-in-hand.)

Richard

As I look at my decks, I'm seeing that some are exceptionally "rigid" even if not especially "thick." The Hadar TdM is like this, as is the Illuminati. If they feel like they're so stiff they would crack if I tried to riffle them, I think they should be included in this category. (To be honest, though, the two usually go hand-in-hand.)

Yes, thick does not necessarily imply stiff. I have a French-English Grimaud TdM which is quite thick but not at all rigid.

banbha

The Vampire Tarot by Robert M. Place is almost unbelievably thick.

Yes, they are! You could knock someone out with that deck. It's like a piece of wood.

mercuryempress

Zombie, Voyager and TWU 2nd edition and Tabula Mundi Tarot Colores are my thickest decks

Barleywine

I think we should propose a trophy: the "Thick as a Brick" award! :) Right now the Voyager has a wide lead in my collection.

Carojulie

Cardstock ! My favourite subject !

I love love love thick cardstock, and here are those that are the best in my collection :

1 / My all time favourites , matte and deliciously thick, with smooth surface and fine dense grain that gives great print definition, and shuffles with a soft sound - a true luxury :
- Bohemian Gothic 2d edition (beware, the more recent edition is much much thinner and cannot be compared at all)
- Wild Unknown 1st edition

2 / Excellent cardstock, similar to above, just a tad less thick but still luxuous and superior :
- Wild Unknown 2d edition self published
- Touchstone tarot
- Hezicos tarot
- Animal Spirit oracle
- Fountain tarot
- Animal Kin oracle
- Connected and Free oracle

3 / Thick but also shiny, wich make the cards less sleek so I like it less (makes for an average cardstock IMO, neither great nor bad, certainly not decks I will jump in excitement over the cardstock)
- Gorgon's tarot
- Bonefire mass produced edition
- all decks from Toni Carmine
- Messenger cards
- Mary El
- Prisma Vision

4 / Thick but not great quality - it is thick but it is not fine if that makes sense (not a one I appreciate the cardstock, its thickness is a flaw rather than a plus)
- Illuminati tarot

5 / Cardstock that is not especially thick, but is brilliant for other reasons, and therefore part of the best cardstocks I own :
- Charrissa Drengsen Steampunk tarot (semi-thin, sturdy but very light, with a luxuous pearlescent surface that gives brilliant colors, light airy feeling like the carstock was "soufflé", sleek in the hands, shuffles like an airy dream, makes a soft hushed sound)
- Vacchetta by il Meneghello edition (similar as Drengsen deck above, except it is matte and not pearlescent. A true pleasure to shuffle. Michelehihi says it shuffles like whipped cream, and I could not come up with a better description for those two decks)

FLizarraga

Yes, they are! You could knock someone out with that deck. It's like a piece of wood.

Exactly! When it's new and the cards are still stuck together, it IS a deadly weapon. I have never seen anything like it.

Dogs&Coffee

The Voyager is very thick too. And the Zombie Tarot and Housewives tarot. Funny, the beefier decks seem to be Oracles. I wonder why ....

I second Zombie Tarot... I cant even rifle shuffle it. Also I love the way it smells.

ncharge

My Tarot of the Sidhe was thick and hard and impossible to rifle shuffle.