Which Next?

MadeiraDarling

I'm debating what I should add to my collection:
1. The Paulina Tarot: The illustrations are pretty and I thought as someone whose taste in decks tends to lean dark it might be good to have something pretty and cheerful as the Paulina around for readings that need it.
2. Pagan Otherworlds Tarot: GORGEOUS! OMG SO GORGEOUS! A little pricey for me but oh my god it is SO pretty and I just want it very very badly.
3. Lenor​mand Silh​ouett​es: I don't have a Lenormand deck and this one does look absolutely stunning and seems like a nice one to learn on (though I dream of getting my filthy paws on a copy of the Chelsea Lenor​mand)
4. Aquarian Tarot: Looks like a nice, very everyday useable reading deck.
5. The Thoth Tarot: My esotericism snob of a husband prefers the Thoth system and would probably like having this deck around.
6. Londa Tarot: Out of print and so pretty (and suits my weird aesthetic tastes spot on)
7. Vampire Tarot Deck by US Games: I dig the primitivist weird art... also everything's better with vampires.
8. The golden tarot, really pretty, very usable, seems like something I could use for nearly all occasions.

Based on my collection what do you all think is sensible?

CherryNukaCola

I'd go with the Pagan Otherworlds, as I think they're going to sell out of the 1st Ed soon or the Lenormand, since you don't have any.

G6

I'd go with the Pagan Otherworlds, as I think they're going to sell out of the 1st Ed soon or the Lenormand, since you don't have any.

Yeah, PO. If it sells out you'll be bummed.

kalliope

The Pagan Underworlds sure is gorgeous. But if you'd like to spend less, you could get more than one for the same price.

It's hard to help someone else prioritize, but I'd say buy the deck you think you will use the most as the first one. Or the one that will fill a gap in your collection you really feel. Also, do you feel like learning the Lenormand or Thoth system at the moment, or just reading with a new deck?

One idea is to buy the Paulina as a smart phone app, for $3.99 (for both iOS or Android), and then get another physical deck as well. The apps by Fool's Dog are very well done, and the detailed art for the Paulina is very nice all back-lit on a screen. You'd be surprised at how nice it can be to read via an app -- they even let you pick out your cards for the spread. I love the apps as a way to try out decks I'm unsure about, and also for reading tarot secretly in public!

I have a sneaking suspicion you'll end up with many or most of them eventually anyway. At least, that's what happens to many of us here!

GlitterNova

I have a sneaking suspicion you'll end up with many or most of them eventually anyway. At least, that's what happens to many of us here!

Ain't it the truth, though?

Here are a couple of questions to ask yourself when deciding on a deck: Am I looking for a deck that I'll use frequently or that will fulfill some other purpose in my collection? I can't speak for you, but I use my few rare/expensive decks MUCH less than my mass-market ones. I'm happy to have them from a collector's stance, but they're not my first choice when I want to read with or even just play with my cards.

Also, do you want to learn a new system and/or spend a lot of time studying your deck, or would you rather have a deck that you immediately visually connect with? For example, I own the Paulina Tarot (gorgeous deck btw, definitely not overly cheerful and some cards are quite somber) and while it is RWS-based the art style is very busy and I found it required some study to become acquainted with the cards. Reading with it would be a much different experience than with, say, the Aquarian Tarot with its more minimal art style. With the Thoth and Lennie, you'd be getting into a new system entirely which may or may not be what you want.

Hopefully that helps a bit. Just based on your enthusiasm it sounds like the Pagan Otherworlds Tarot might be the winner if it fits your needs and you can afford it. If you want a mass-market inexpensive deck I totally recommend the Paulina or even the Joie de Vivre decks, Paulina Cassidy's artwork is just lovely to behold. :)

FLizarraga

Based on your collection, which is the caveat here, I'd go for the Pagan Otherworlds. I have a feeling the rest of the decks mentioned are too "cutesy" for you, though of course I could be wrong. (I have been wrong before, you know. Believe it or not, it has actually happened... :p)

Except the Thoth, of course, but you're going to get the Thoth sooner or later, so I won't bother recommending it.

(My personal favorite of all the decks mentioned is the Golden Tarot, if we are talking Kat Black's, and it could eventually become one of yours, but I don't see it happening right now. Again, I could be wrong. See above.)

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

nisaba

I'd go with the Thoth, in a heartbeat. The others can wait until a bit later.

If you've been reading with RW-style decks, this one will stretch you and challenge you and make you uncomfortable. It's only by being uncomfortable that you can grow and learn.