Your favourite book for Tarot spreads ?

tarot_red

Hi guys. There are so many books out there with all kind of tarot spreads. Some very elaborate, and so many in number.
Was wondering what you guys feel is the best book for spreads. I always feel it would be great to have one book of reliable and nice spreads to refer to for any question (relationship, health etc.).
Would love to know which books helped you and the ones you swear by.
Thanks a ton.:)

Nemia

I love Power Tarot and learned some really good spreads from it, but I recommend the Deck of 1000 spreads.

http://www.1000spreads.com/

It comes with a very good book that lets you really understand how a spread is constructed, and gives you a wonderful tool to design your own spreads. Flexible, individual and creative.

It's easy to snap a picture of your spread for later reference, the position names are visible.

I love it and as I use only positional spreads, I use this deck constantly. It has expanded my understanding of other people's spreads considerably.

But before you buy anything, maybe you should take a look at the spreads available here at AT. I found a lot of wonderful spreads, especially by Glass Owl, but not only. Very creative. It really encouraged me to make up my own situation-specific spreads.

ETA: I agree that it's not a good idea to waste too much energy on trying as many spreads as possible - after all, the question, the cards and the answer(s) are the main players. However, by experimenting a bit one can find out what suits one best. I found for example that I do best with four card spreads that I milk for quite some time. Popular three card spreads or 12 card spreads did less for me.

So by now, most of my spreads are fourfold and I feel most comfortable with them. It was worth finding that out.

InkyAlchemy

Sasha Graham's new book, 365 Tarot Spreads, just arrived today. I am loving it! A spread a day having to do with the date, a card a day, and reading advice. It is awesome!

desertrat

Sasha Graham's new book, 365 Tarot Spreads, just arrived today. I am loving it! A spread a day having to do with the date, a card a day, and reading advice. It is awesome!

I agree. Mine just arrived today and was pleasantly surprised by the variety of spreads. Truly I was expecting perhaps one-card or three-card spreads, since 365 spreads are quite a lot to come up with. But each spread is 6 to 10 cards, so there are many questions to ponder and investigate. The book is a real treasure. It's jumped to the top of my list.

I also enjoy Barbara Moore's book "Tarot Spreads: Layouts & Techniques to Empower Your Readings". She helps you to design your own layouts and spreads. She also includes many spreads that she created. I'm sure there's a previous thread about it.

These two are my favorite spread books.

Then, of course, there is the Spreads Forum at AT where people post the fabulous spreads that they created. It's really worth a good browsing through - literally hundreds of ideas. :)

Barleywine

I found for example that I do best with four card spreads that I milk for quite some time. Popular three card spreads or 12 card spreads did less for me.

So by now, most of my spreads are fourfold and I feel most comfortable with them. It was worth finding that out.

I think you've helped me put my finger on the problem I've always had with three-card spreads: they seem just a little too abbreviated and half-formed for useful interpretation. I've experiemented some with four-card "strings" and find that they have more developmental potential in the middle section, which links the beginning and the end in a more meaningful way. Of course, I'm a die-hard Celtic Cross and OOTK user, so any minimalist alternative comes hard :).

rwcarter

This book also just arrived today, but I haven't even had a chance to look through it yet. K. I just quickly thumbed through it and landed on the Writing a Will Spread, which is something I need to do. 3 of the 8 positions are Yes/No questions, which makes me cock an eye. And one of the positions (#2 - What do I want them to do with my body?) seems like something you should know without a tarot card telling you.

I'll reserve judgement until I've had a chance to more fully look through the book, but that first spread doesn't bode well....

Rodney

schmedrake

I also recommend Power Tarot and the Deck of 1000 Spreads.

rwcarter

I'll reserve judgement until I've had a chance to more fully look through the book, but that first spread doesn't bode well....
I think 365 Tarot Spreads has a number of new, fresh and relevant spreads in it. The little history lesson for each day is a nice touch. But I'm one who believes that tarot doesn't do well with Yes/No questions, so I avoid them in the spreads I do too. Many of the spreads in the book contain spread positions that are Yes/No questions. So if I use any of those spreads, I'll be modifying those positions. I'd probably rate the book 4 stars out of 5.

jean bosco

You could also have a look at "Tarot Spreads & Layo​uts: A User's Manual for Beginning and Intermediate Readers" by Jeanne Fiorini. Also lot's of useful information concerning forming a well fitting question, reading skills, etc. I came to know about her through her youtube "tarot tips" channel.