Pre-copyright Miniature Rider

Le Fanu

Here a comparison between a blushing Fool and a Fool with the creamy face.
Thank you for that. It's what I thought of as "measly". I really must get all my old RWS decks out and have a comparison session. Incredibly I've never had them all out at the same time!

Essence of Winter

Thank you for that. It's what I thought of as "measly". I really must get all my old RWS decks out and have a comparison session. Incredibly I've never had them all out at the same time!

I don't get mine out simultaneously because I am paranoid that the cards will get mixed up.

Essence of Winter

First, the (c)1971 wasn't added until around 1974, which was also when the advertising card first appeared. The mini decks didn't get 'updated' with copyright or typesetting for quite awhile, but the advertising card marks your deck as mid to late '70s at best, and the box style also marks it as being early on, whilst later boxes have end tuck flaps.

Coredil mentioned the Blushing Fool... Do you know what this is (earliest decks printed can be distinguished by a mottled pattern, most notable on the face of The Fool). Check to see if your deck appears this way.

Also, I suppose we are assuming your deck is USGames and not Weiser.

My Miniature has the mottled pattern, as does my earliest 'Waddington' Blue Box. My later Blue Box that has the same advertising card as the Miniature doesn't have the mottled pattern.

My later Blue Box has a slightly smoother, more laminated finish than my Miniature and earliest Blue Box, but it is a fairly subtle difference.