King of Cups as an obstacle?

.traveller.

I am having trouble with interpreting the King of Cups as representing an obstacle or causing delay. I can understand him in terms of people and relationships, at least I think I do, but I can't seem to stretch that to include anything beyond.

The crowned one

Sometimes in a blockage position it can refer to emotional denial from within or emotional black mail from outside influences. Vice and scandal come to mind. With out the rest of the cards it really is difficult to give more then a general opinion, the above is mine.

.traveller.

I get what you are saying about the emotional denial or blackmail in relation to the card, but I don't understand the vice and scandal part. General opinions are fine, if I start listing cards I'll get booted over to the Your Readings forum.

The crowned one

VIce as a blockage: there might be a vice involved it could range from drinking to gambling to something way out there.. just to give a couple simple examples. If a scandal goes public it certainly will work as a blockage to most positive things, again scandals can be business or loved based. He may not be living the vice or scandal but could be associating with those that are. I hope this helps a bit.

Thirteen

An obstacle could mean what is in you that is your own "worst enemy"-for example, the King/Cups can be overly compassionate or indicate guilty feelings; this could cause an obstacle. Every person with a sob story or every relative who make you feel guilty for not doing your family duty could create an obstacle to your goals.

I'd be most particularly wary of family. That's where emotional blackmail may come in as an obstacle, especially from a father figure.

As for vice, Cups are all about excess--drugs, booze, overeating, laziness. These, as well, can be obstacles, whether they are your personal obstacles or someone else's that you must take care of (like a family member who is an alchoholic).

.traveller.

Okay, this is all beginning to click. So if I am waiting for some important news, then the delay as conveyed by the King may have something to do with personal or family-related problems on the sender's end. Family obligations could be overshadowing other areas, or the person responsible could just be an unreliable sot. I imagine that intrigue would be more of a swords issue.

Grizabella

I think it could also mean someone who can't express emotions. Like a father who can't give a hug or say I love you. Someone whose false pride won't let them just be soft and human.

willowfox

Probably being lazy with a non caring attitude, "I'm alright I will send the info when I am good and ready.", attitude, perhaps.

.traveller.

Would emotions like fear, insecurity, misplaced anger, play into this as well? Not so much with the waiting for a message example, but more in a general sense.

Thirteen

.traveller. said:
Would emotions like fear, insecurity, misplaced anger, play into this as well? Not so much with the waiting for a message example, but more in a general sense.
I don't see the King/Cups as the insecure sort; misplaced anger, yes, the King/Cups can be easily hurt and take out that hurt in a big way. Think emotional control--a person delaying something in order to toy with your emotions.