New deck around- The Gypsy Palace Tarot

MoonGypsy

My belief is you can only really understand what the art and symbols in each card are saying if you are in Nora's head, otherwise it's a mystery! a beautiful mystery :)

Well said, Daniel! :D :heart:

Nina*

Go check out Youtube videos by Kelly-Ann from The Four Queens; she has a couple on this deck. I had a conversation with her about it and she told me how she TOTALLY considered it tarot and how, after working with it a bit, she could easily see the RWS in the images. And she IS aware that the art wasn't exactly made for tarot in the first place.

She. Is. Brilliant. And she made me love this deck again.

MoonGypsy

Go check out Youtube videos by Kelly-Ann from The Four Queens; she has a couple on this deck. I had a conversation with her about it and she told me how she TOTALLY considered it tarot and how, after working with it a bit, she could easily see the RWS in the images. And she IS aware that the art wasn't exactly made for tarot in the first place.

She. Is. Brilliant. And she made me love this deck again.

i love Kelly Ann, too...She is a hoot and an absolutely brilliant lady! Love her to bits!
i saw her videos while i still had my deck...

So...i DID give it another go...
but...sadly...no go

That Really made me feel bad! :p i was so sure i would connect to it better after seeing
Kelly Ann's stellar video. She really fires me up! :laugh:

But Rats...i only got frustrated all over again...sigh...
So i saw that someone on the forum was looking for a trade...and i bit right away.

i might be willing to try again, though...but i can't spend the $...

ETA: i have just gotten a chance to trade for another Gypsy Palace Deck! :laugh:
i am bounden determined to make it work this time. i really DO Love the art,
and Nora...so i believe in her spirit and talent, so....here i go again..

ETA 2 : Good News! i am having
much better luck this time! i highly suggest journaling each card.
A slow process, but more than worth it. And DO watch Kelly Ann's video [The four queens]

The Happy Squirrel

MoonGypsy I saw that you might be giving this deck another whirl. Let us know how you go? :)

MoonGypsy

MoonGypsy I saw that you might be giving this deck another whirl. Let us know how you go? :)

Hey there, THS! :D
i have received it, and i am surprised how happy i was to
open my package...i felt like i was being reunited with old friends...:D
Even after all my original frustration with trying to read with it...
i realized i truly missed it...These 78 paintings are such masterpieces, IMHO, that
my appreciation of the art is enough....but....

The characters are actually starting to "speak" to me...
The thing is....you really have to let go of any attachments to preconceived
meanings/methods...do not think RWS or Thoth...etc.
Just absorb the images deep into your Psyche, and don't be in a hurry.

This is a deck that requires some dedication and patience....and...
Journaling, journaling, journaling...

There are layers and veils that [when removed] reveal a lot of magic...

ETA: and as i have said before, i ADORE Nora Huszka! She is so incredibly talented
and an artist on so many levels....i had lots of communication with her...

To me, she is the epitome of what i consider to be the true Gypsy Spirit!

Here she is as the Queen of Wands from Her Gypsy Palace:

http://norahuszka.com/onewebstatic/6376f73b5a-Queen_02.JPG

And here is a great interview with Nora:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhvwU4zEABE

The Happy Squirrel

You know, I am more and more convinced that I need to trim this if I ever get a deck. This way I will have to work only with the paintings and nothing else.... It will completely screw up the backs of course.....

The Happy Squirrel

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442375060.188141.jpg

Trimmed

:)

magpie9

I think this is one of those decks that randomly connects into something Greater Than Us. Nora is the channel, BUT only a channel. What she has to say is largely in consequential.

The Happy Squirrel

Some decks have handbooks which tried to flesh things out when there isn't really much there. This deck on the other hand is one where a proper handbook fleshing out the images is much needed.

I saw Nora's wrote up about the Devil card online. I think it was in someone's blog. It was most insightful. I can't wait for a proper handbook and will definitely get one if or when one comes out.

I also highly recommend considering trimming the deck completely of its borders and title if it does not speak to you as they are. I found it easier to get the images on the cards once I trimmed them. Without the titles and words, I found the artwork to be a much sharper visual cue for whatever meaning which might lurk behind each of them.

The Happy Squirrel

Here is that write up about the Devil that I saw online:

Dear Readers, welcome Everyone!

I am Nora Huszka and I am here to share my ideas about a certain card, The Devil. I created The Gypsy Palace Tarot from my art, my experiences and this card is one of my personal favorites.

So, you would like to know more about the Devil? First of all… who is The Devil? It is not a religious question, no, although most religions have an answer to that. I neither want to talk about clichés… We have always been told the Devil is bad, mean and disgusting… but let’s s admit it, we do love him and we still suffer from him at the same time.

And why? Easy- the way to addiction is the sweetest way. It is so good, you don’t even notice you got fettered, until the handcuffs start to hurt your wrist: but at that point of realization it’s no way back, the Devil already got you.

No wonder, this card follows Temperance in the Major Arcana. It is a great lesson to learn in life: You can only explore your borders by going beyond them. But when you go beyond, the promised price disappears and you may burn yourself a bit. However smart you thought are, it was an illusion, what directed you to the unwanted direction, when You follow the call of The Devil.

We like the nice things about ourselves, but our bad habits- we just love them. But this love or joy is definitely different than the true love what the Ace of Cups shows us. This love is materialistic, creates dependence and a burden of suffering. That is definitely the Devil.

We are getting on the right track! Let’s dig deeper!

In The Gypsy Palace Tarot I show You the moment, what I found most fitting to The Devil. I believe, You always have one moment before giving in to the Devil. You must have one sober second before you dedicate yourself fully, just a slight whisper, a smooth light, or just the weird feeling in back of your mind, that it is just not right, turn back- and after the sweet smell of temptation takes over the weak.

There are four characters on my picture, frozen in a moment. On the right, yes, it’s the Devil. Next to him is a girl (just between us… that’s me) naked, with closed eyes, hands crossed on her chest. The two other characters behind the girl are the symbols of the girl’s imaginary situation, motivation, possible future: there’s pink, chubby lady with a suffering grimace on her face, holding a lamp with one hand and a green one, coming out from the furry background cloth, grabbing her hand to its face with strong desire. You can also notice the barrel in the background, that’s the symbol of pure emotions, referring to Cups… This time it is just in the background.

Let me show You where the point of action is heading on the picture from my point of view.

The Devil holds the girl’s head with both his hands- his grab is violent, but also firm. He directs the girl’s face to his face, and his eyes are open and glowing with hypnotizing white light to the victim. Their body is facing each others, the legs are slightly stepping towards the girl. And his confident smile seems almost charming.

But as the girl is not able to move her head, the only way she can avoid the Devil’s takeover is to close her eyes. But look at her red cheeks- she has intense feelings, and although her hands are crossed, her left leg is lifting and can not stop her hips from moving closer to the Devil. She can not deny her attraction to him, it draws her just like a magnetic field. She is naked. She cannot hide anything from the Devil, not even her sexuality.

The lamp softly lights their face, gives an intimate atmosphere to their big scene.

The other scene is connected to them by the lamp. The pink lady tries to show the girl what is going on by giving light, but she can hardly warn her, as she is also stuck in her miserable position. She seems to shout and tries to kick that barrel as well to wake up the girl from floating further and further in the arms of the Devil. The green character on the left doesn’t want the trouble of waking up and stops her by grabbing the other hand. He just wants to stay hidden, comfortable, with the company of the willing-less, chubby lady.

I think these two characters symbolizes the essential background components of the state of addiction and acting against our will, which are the main meanings of the card, The Devil. Even if we talk about a situation connected to love, work or usual behavior.

And what is the outcome of this picture? Will she give in or she wakes up? I can’t tell you that… I let You play it through with your own Devil. I picked this card for us – so keep your eyes open!

You dear, do you see something else or more?

Do you have experiences like this? We all have.

Your comments are welcome!

Let us know.

Love, Nora