Significators

Al Si'ra

I only use the significator when i am really in need of representing myself or the other person in the reading...just to get more focused and it actually really helps and i think thats why it's recommended that people use it..the jewellery;a symbol etc all helps you get focused..if there's more to it; i don't know,forgive my un-educated thoughts ;)...If i feel like i am already very much in tune i don't use even my cards at all :D

cyclamen

I've never really used a significator, but sometimes when I am doing a reading with a without a real spread, I sometimes find that one card seems to shout out - it's me! I'm the significator!

divinerguy

I've never used a significator, and haven't thought much about it. However, the idea is becoming more intriguing as I read the reasons for doing so. Maybe I'll try it out on a few guinea pigs.

Quizeen

I dug up this thread looking for the meaning of "significator cards," because I'd never heard of such a thing before visiting this board. From what I've read here there are two methods for using significator cards: actually searching through the deck and selecting a card to serve the purpose or just picking one off as you would for the rest of the reading (sort of letting the deck pick for you). Is that correct?

caridwen

No - I have never used a significator:)

Nuncle

Hi Quizeen

I guess, basically, it breaks down into those two broad mtheods, but there can be more to it than that. You can on the one hand shuffle and cut and use that card or fan the cards and pick one that seems to call you. Or if you pay attention to the cards that fall out of the deck, one of those could be the significator. In these cases, it seems to me, you are putting your faith in the deck, and if you get a card that is something like the 6 of cups as the significator, you would have to read that as not necessarily you but perhaps your condition or situation.

I think the type of spread you are using influence how you are using the significator. If it's in a CC for example, the first card may actually go on top of (it covers) the significator.

Choosing a card can be much more elaborate, involving meditating on various cards, or choosing one that fits your personality, looking at all the court cards and then using a process in which you choose the eight of the 16 court cards, then 4 of the eight, then one out of the four.

In the first tarot reading ever done for me, my reader wanted to use a significator. She layed all the cards out in nine more ore less equal rows, and then pointing at various rows, vertical and horizontal, asked me to choose a card. She gathered all the cards of that row up with the chosen card on top, and started making a new row with these small piles. Finaly there was a row of maybe 8 or 10 piles with the chosen cards on top. I chose five, then three, then one. She continutally stacked the piles into a full deck until that one card was on top. That was the significator. At this point I cannot remember whether she shufffled again or not, or whether she decided my energy was present.

Anyway, it still intrigues me. I haven't had a chance to try that method yet, but want to.

So there are different ways to choose. Hope that helps.

Nuncle.

Quizeen

Yes, that does help. Thank you. Granted I haven't read too many books of Tarot yet (just three), but surprisingly, none have mentioned significator cards yet. I can see where choosing one in certain circumstances would be very helpful.

Trogon

Osiris Darkmoon said:
True....but he also got the Celtic Cross layout wrong in his big blue book...not knocking RB, I'm learning from him...but grain of salt ya know....
Don't know as there is a "wrong" Celtic Cross layout... :D A lot of people don't use what might be considered a "standard" CC in some books. There was a thread about this a while back; http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=9708

Anyway, when I first started learning the Tarot, I used a significator in my CC spread. But that was the only spread I learned for a while. But I also felt that there wasn't really much need for it ... that picking a significator was kind of futile. The CC had other cards relating to the person's situation and what was going on and how they saw themselves & so forth ... what was the point of a significator? So I just stopped using it alltogether. I never use a significator anymore.

Rannwind

Gods! Where to start!

I am thoroughly overwhelmed by this site. And I do so want to post, but have no idea where to jump in, other than new members. Which I did btw and the greetings were wonderful, thank you all.

So, I wandered around a bit and fine this post, noting that it was fairly recent, even though the original thread stared over 4? years ago, so what the heck, I have a thought and perhaps starting here is as good as any...

I don't normally use a significator either. Not in the specific reading anyway. But I do use them in meditation, frequently. I think that it is an important exercise for anyone experiencing Tarot with any kind of consistency and sincerety. It is at that point where you choose a significator that you are actually making the tool of Tarot your own. You do not have to place this card down each time you do a reading (with your own queries, of course). But the fact that you can personally identify with a specific card does so much towards bringing the symbolism of the cards into your tangible life (not to mention your spiritual life). Tarot work is a dynamic, "living" thing that works best when you make a place for it within your personal spiritual experience; not just something that you refer to for "clues." By choosing a significator, whether you use it during the actual reading or not, is a very effective way of placing yourself within the spiritual matirx outlined by the Tarot's symbolism.

Now, apply that same concept to a reading you are doing for someone else and you are doing something special for the person you are reading for. What I like to do is pick a variety of cards that may fit the person I am reading for and allow them to look them over, see if there is anyone of them that reaches out to them, touches a note within.... This can be a very positive experience for the person you are reading for AND it can create a sound cornerstone for the actual reading, even if you do not necessarily place that card at the heart of the physical spread (besides, there may be a similar person who also fits the chosen card involved in the message the reading imparts - it can be hard to include that extra person effectively if the card is set aside). So, I rarely use a significator in the actual reading, but I often use it for my own meditation, or for easing another individual into the realm of their Tarot "experience."

How's that for a first "topic" post?

Bright Blessings all,

Rannwind

Trogon said:
...The CC had other cards relating to the person's situation and what was going on and how they saw themselves & so forth ... what was the point of a significator? So I just stopped using it alltogether. I never use a significator anymore.

HOLMES

hi there

linking this to study thread in the oracle section, but I did have some thoughts on the signifactors.

when I first started using the books to pick the signicators I rebelled for it took a card out of the deck that could be important afterwards. this is of course in regards to the old Celtic cross however I felt or thought rather that meant it had to happen for every spread. that was before I started being more open to the idea of 6 , 5, 3 cards, or one card being able to have much meaning compared to a 10 card celtic cross with its positions.

I felt that at best for me at the time I would pick a card that would define the meaning of the deck.. but in the end , It became confusing for the reading would end up with 2 "hearts of the matter" or so I felt that it was blocking me having to read the almost same positions twice.

so I remember reading up on the wishing card,, and how it was left turned over to afterwards be face up at the end of the reading to see if the wish would come true..
I remember now trying that for a couple of readings and I didn't like it.

somehow I am not sure when in my development in the 2000s I turned that into the soul message which I read it like this.
0. soul message
place card here.

for me this freed up the energy of the spreads,, and added so much that anyone who used clarifying cards would or could easily use this instead of that.. well that is if they were open to their spirt guides, or soul , or the creator giving them a message they need to hear that could have no relation on to the question. hmm perhaps they could see it as a message from their innerself, or childself.

so in the beginning and end.. nope I do not,, yet in a roundabout way I did .