'Esoteric Symbols' by June Leavitt

Richard

Thank you for the links! Yeats, Eliot, and Kafka are three of my all-time favorite authors. I may need to get that book, but I'll wait until there are a few reviews of it.

Babalon Jones

Very interesting looking! I am surprised there are no reviews at all, considering it was published in 2007.
A bit pricey considering but intriguing. I wish they had the "look inside" feature to get a taste.

Patrick Booker

Yes, I would have liked a chance to look inside the book and read some reviews too. Probably won't get it for a few more days, but I will post my impressions.

Patrick

Patrick Booker

To get the best out of this book, you really need detailed knowledge of the lives and work of Yeats, Elliot and Kafka - more knowledge than I possess. The author sees the images of the Tarot as archetypes intruding upon reality, and describes this process with reference to a number of cards. She focuses primarily upon the Waite/Coleman Smith deck. For someone with an interest in Tarot and at least some of these writers, this book might well have something to say. Perhaps a rather indirect way to experience the Tarot.

Patrick

Babalon Jones

To get the best out of this book, you really need detailed knowledge of the lives and work of Yeats, Elliot and Kafka - more knowledge than I possess. The author sees the images of the Tarot as archetypes intruding upon reality, and describes this process with reference to a number of cards. She focuses primarily upon the Waite/Coleman Smith deck. For someone with an interest in Tarot and at least some of these writers, this book might well have something to say. Perhaps a rather indirect way to experience the Tarot.

Patrick
i am intrigued by the phrase "intruding upon reality" - can you say more? :)

Patrick Booker

i am intrigued by the phrase "intruding upon reality" - can you say more? :)

Leavitt accepts Jungian archetypes as a strong influence upon our lives, and regards the images of the Tarot as archetypal. People involved with the Tarot do indeed find these images cropping up in the form of dreams and synchronicities, and perhaps in their work if they are writers. I suppose that this may be unconscious in part. Leavitt argues a case for all three writers being acquainted with the images of the Tarot, although a symbolic system such as the Tarot might 'intrude' in such a way as to announce it's presence before any acquaintance in linear time. One might, for instance, see an image of the Hanged Man, and be led by curiosity to discover the Tarot.

Patrick

PathWalker

Interesting, thank you for this Patrick.