RWS The Stars flowers & bird

Teheuti

brightcrazystar said:
I have never once heard of UNBU in Egyptian, that I can recall. Do you have a different name for this?
It comes from Gerald Massey and he must have gotten it from somewhere. Unbu seems to have been an old Mesopotamian word for one of the solar gods and via association the name is used for a flaming thorn bush that later became associated with Moses' burning bush (which can be seen today at Saint Catherine's in the Sinai—if you are to believe the monks there). Massey makes an association between Unbu and Horus.

Do you agree that Neith is a borrow deity connected to the phoenicial Tanit, who is aspect of "Astarte," or 'ShTRUT? I see this, and these are married into Nut who clearly comes later than Mut.
I don't know enough about the lineage of all the Egyptian stories - especially because they varied from place to place throughout Egypt. As far as I know Neith is one of the oldest of the Egyptian neters.

BTW, Vulture is the sign for mother and so many of the Egyptian neters were pictured as/with vulture symbols when indicating their mother status. For instance, Neith was called "Mother of Ra".

As the Kite is a carrion bird, it is also the Nashir. The story of the kite is great, but if that is a kite, it is a lousy picture of one.
That wasn't the point - as you note below. There are multiple possibilities but they all point to a similar theme.

This I think is the thing about Tarot - it is archetypal in imagery. There are many ways you can look at and find meaning
I agree.

Thinking automatically you are the major character of a major arcanum card is in my opinion an error of haste and/or pride.
Actually, I think part of the point (from the occult pov) is to identify with the major character, but, from a psychological standpoint, it is often more revealing to ask where you are in the picture. For instance, when I asked this of one person, regarding the Hierophant, she told me she was hiding behind one of the pillars. This was very enlightening regarding her original question.

Richard

brightcrazystar said:
.....Thanks! I really should study more Masonry.
I think the system is okay. I was a member of an appendant Masonic Body, and it was altogether a positive experience.
As the Kite is a carrion bird, it is also the Nashir. The story of the kite is great, but if that is a kite, it is a lousy picture of one. I think that is more stream of consciousness. The beak is of a totally different type, particularly and it bears no resemblance to a raptor at all.
Except for the beak, it always makes me think of Woodstock, Snoopy's friend in the Peanuts cartoon. :)

brightcrazystar

Teheuti said:
It comes from Gerald Massey and he must have gotten it from somewhere. Unbu seems to have been an old Mesopotamian word for one of the solar gods and via association the name is used for a flaming thorn bush that later became associated with Moses' burning bush (which can be seen today at Saint Catherine's in the Sinai—if you are to believe the monks there). Massey makes an association between Unbu and Horus.

Thanks for this. Adding his name to the google definitely gives better results for egyptology. I will look into this man, who I do not recall hearing of before. I love poetry, and always am glad to learn of a new poet.

I don't know enough about the lineage of all the Egyptian stories - especially because they varied from place to place throughout Egypt. As far as I know Neith is one of the oldest of the Egyptian neters.

BTW, Vulture is the sign for mother and so many of the Egyptian neters were pictured as/with vulture symbols when indicating their mother status. For instance, Neith was called "Mother of Ra".

It is so difficult to speak of all of Egyptian history as one thing, isn't it? ;)

33 dynasties cannot be all treated as the same. Some were of far greater impact, and many areas had more local sovereignty than a State in modern times. And for many of these we have little or no history. Here is my assumption:

Mu, mother to so many cultures and one of the oldest sounds humanity has made with intent. It is the cow, who says "Mu" that is most commonly attributed to the Mother in cultures. This word is cognate to, and most likely roots of the words like "Mater", "Mother." In fact, "Mu" is still the oldest Goddess in China, and the Word for Mother. She is called Hsing Wang Mu by the post-heaven Taoist Magician, and we invoke her in the burning of the name to the dragon in heaven, which is the ceremony of Initiation I formally began with. She in her aspect Nu-wa marries to Pan-gu to beget all of humanity. He comes to incarnate in Fu-Hsi and brings forth the Chou I, the oracle which the book the I Ching is written about. Mu, with a short u, more like "mah", but close to "moo" is the oldest form of all labials in deliberate human speech. This and "L" are the oldest forms of Feminine (Lips = M) and Masculine (Tongue = L), we still have in speech.

The Vulture on her back is, I think, a older form of the Alchemical Pelican, the Mother as provider for her young. Neith was restored to worship by the Persian Cambyses II, but he greatly exalted her, from some accounts. the First of the 26th Dynastic Kings. He took all the symbols of Mu, including the cow, and gave them to Neith. According to Heroditus, he started slaying the sacred cows unto Neith with his own sword. He then died of a wound in the same place. But, this is all part of the story where we first went "native" and then he went nuts. In fact, I think finally the story was a bit like Apocalypse Now, lol.

That wasn't the point - as you note below. There are multiple possibilities but they all point to a similar theme.

Yes, and extrapolation is nine tenths of the universe. ;)

Actually, I think part of the point (from the occult pov) is to identify with the major character, but, from a psychological standpoint, it is often more revealing to ask where you are in the picture. For instance, when I asked this of one person, regarding the Hierophant, she told me she was hiding behind one of the pillars. This was very enlightening regarding her original question.

In general, if I get cards, I read them as an ensemble. For example, if I get the 3 of Disks and the Heirophant, I would say you might be in one role. If I get the 7 of swords and the Heirophant, you might be in another. Then again, it might accompany other cards that change the meaning entirely for what I see.

brightcrazystar

LRichard said:
I think the system is okay. I was a member of an appendant Masonic Body, and it was altogether a positive experience.

What does "appendant" mean in this case?

Except for the beak, it always makes me think of Woodstock, Snoopy's friend in the Peanuts cartoon. :)

You have my vote. It's Woodstock. And if you also consider the festival by the same name, the "hippy" sentiments of this card still hold water. Get, it "hold water"? ;)

Richard

brightcrazystar said:
What does "appendant" mean in this case?

You have my vote. It's Woodstock. And if you also consider the festival by the same name, the "hippy" sentiments of this card still hold water. Get, it "hold water"? ;)
I was in the Order of DeMolay. It was mainly for high school age kids. The initiation ritual focussed on Jacques DeMolay at the time of the persecution of the Templars. It was quite profound, but I think it was lost on most of the initiates. I used to "borrow" books from the Masonic library. Security was very low.

LOL about Woodstock and holding water.