Religious Symbolism

Richard

GryffinSong said:
Only slightly tongue in cheek ... Everyone thinks they understand the bible, when the truth is that NO ONE understands the bible. Quite frankly, it would be impossible to do so, since it's a highly contradictory book, and there are so many versions available that one doesn't even know where to start.
The bible is constructed from a patchwork of fragments of manuscripts in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, which are all copies of copies of copies..... Even within the individual fragments there are serious internal inconsistencies. The selection and piecing together of the fragments is done by textual critics using textual theory and technology.

The modern language versions are, of course, translations from the original languages. The difficulty of translation is staggering. A literal word for word translation does not work because of idiomatic differences in phrasing between the orginal and target languages. A non-literal translation is better, but it must rely on interpretation, which obviously is not an exact science. To further complicate matters, some parts of the bible are intended to be taken as history while others are allegorical or poetic.

In the final analysis, the bible is more of a concept than a unified document, but it is an interesting concept nonetheless.

Abrac

I tend to agree the title "Judgement" doesn't seem a totally accurate representation of what's depicted on the card. The Bible seems to describe at least two resurrections and judgments, maybe more, so I'm not sure how much this allegory is intended to represent Bible theology. It was probably originally designed so as to strike a familiar chord in the popular imagination.

Richard

I think you are right, Abrac. Waite says: "Let the card continue to depict, for those who can see no further, the Last Judgment and the resurrection in the natural body; but let those who have inward eyes look and discover therewith." Thus the image may not be biblically accurate, but that doesn't matter. The card is about spiritual rebirth. Its element is fire, which may refer to the Pentecost event, in which flames "as of fire" descended onto each Apostle, signifying the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

GryffinSong

LRichard said:
I think you are right, Abrac. Waite says: "Let the card continue to depict, for those who can see no further, the Last Judgment and the resurrection in the natural body; but let those who have inward eyes look and discover therewith." Thus the image may not be biblically accurate, but that doesn't matter. The card is about spiritual rebirth. Its element is fire, which may refer to the Pentecost event, in which flames "as of fire" descended onto each Apostle, signifying the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Spiritual rebirth. I like that. See, I'm not christian, and the judgement day imagery never, ever said that to me. It just reminded me of zombie movies (raising the dead), eternal damnation for anyone not lucky enough to be chosen, and other very negative connotations. I'll have to paint an inner picture to replace that card when using a traditionally-imaged card.

Carla

It's always been rebirth to me, but then I was a Christian. I have to admit nowadays I quite like depictions of naked chicks rising from flaming cauldrons and such. :)

Richard

Waite was an American who lived in England for most of his life, at a time when almost everybody was a Christian, so he left in some of the Christian symbolism of the traditional Tarot decks. He obviously knew that people would tend to view the images literally, but the Golden Dawn initiates, for whom he created the deck, knew the inner, spiritual significance of the symbolism.

Teheuti

LRichard said:
Waite was an American who lived in England for most of his life, at a time when almost everybody was a Christian, so he left in some of the Christian symbolism of the traditional Tarot decks. He obviously knew that people would tend to view the images literally, but the Golden Dawn initiates, for whom he created the deck, knew the inner, spiritual significance of the symbolism.
I'm trying not to be picky but the above information, while not actually incorrect, could lead to false assumptions.

Waite was born in Brooklyn, the (probably) illegitimate son of an English mother and American, sea-captain father. His father died at sea when he was a year old, three days before the birth of his sister (who was born on Waite's first birthday). They moved to England when he was two and there's no indication of his ever returning to America. His uncle-by-marriage was the brother of Charles Dickens but, in general, the relatives on both sides had little to do with Waite or his mother, so he grew up in somewhat-genteel poverty. To say that he was an American is therefore stretching things since he had essentially no first hand experience of America and was raised totally as a Brit.

He clearly identified himself as a Christian mystic but he disliked organized religion, and so all of his Christian imagery is really mystical in nature. It was about what we can gain by following the symbolic way of the sacrificed god (son of the Goddess Sophia/Shekinah/Isis/Mary) that he saw as reaching its epitome in Jesus Christ.

It's not clear that he created the deck for Golden Dawn initiates, per se, although I'm sure he would have been delighted to have them use it, and they would have been familiar with most of the symbolism. I think he really created it for a much greater audience in hopes that the symbolism would speak to people who knew nothing of the Golden Dawn but enough about esotericism (the Ageless Wisdom Tradition) to be intrigued by its message that he named the 'Secret Tradition.' Afterall, there's no indication that his many books with 'the Secret Tradition' in their titles were written specifically for GD initiates, either.

He create a separate Major Arcana deck that was used exclusively by members of his Fellowship of the Rosy Cross, which was specifically a Christian mystical Order (founded, 1915; Trinick deck created circa 1922).

Richard

Teheuti said:
I'm trying not to be picky but the above information, while not actually incorrect, could lead to false assumptions......
Thanks for the clarification/correction. I wish you would write a biography of Waite. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Teheuti

I'm glad to know I could make one sale. Bob Gilbert has already written a good bio of Waite and Waite wrote an autobiography, so the information is out there. I hope to someday write a book on Waite's intentions for the deck as I have a lot of info on his sources and his understanding of the symbols.

rwcarter

Teheuti said:
I'm glad to know I could make one sale.
I'd buy at least two myself! :D

The religious symbolism in the deck doesn't bother me as a) I'm not religious and b) I've probably missed a lot of it anyway.

Rodney