Old RWS... how old is it?

WalesWoman

I found this on Etsy... it is old, but was wondering when RWS wasn't named on the box and made by University Press in New Hyde Park, NY?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/69833323/very-old-witchs-tarot-rider-waite-witchs

She's also selling a Soprafino the Meneghello edition that was printed in 1992 for $500... I think she's a bit confused and thinks it's an actual 1835 print or something. I sure didn't pay anything even close to that for mine.

coredil

WalesWoman said:
I found this on Etsy... it is old, but was wondering when RWS wasn't named on the box and made by University Press in New Hyde Park, NY?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/69833323/very-old-witchs-tarot-rider-waite-witchs

She's also selling a Soprafino the Meneghello edition that was printed in 1992 for $500... I think she's a bit confused and thinks it's an actual 1835 print or something. I sure didn't pay anything even close to that for mine.

You could begin with this thread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=40208

WalesWoman

Thanks for the link... someone has a deck like this and still didn't know what it was... pre zip codes, two part red box, no LWB and no titles on the box either, just the High Priestess and judging from the artwork from other links to other pages... it looks to be around 1910 or so.

Well, much too rich for me, I'll be content with my Centennial edition Pamela Coleman Smith.

photokat

coredil's link is excellent - the RWS in the photo is from 1959 but nowhere worth near what the seller is asking for.

The Soprafino you can buy for about $35. The description is misleading - obviously on purpose.

'Nuff said.

Unless you'd like the "Rich Wich" kind of blessing, of course .... then you'll have to pay a good chunk more.

photokat

WalesWoman said:
s... it looks to be around 1910 or so.

Nah - not from 1910. See my earlier post. I own this deck, too.

WalesWoman

Yes, I can do without the cleansing and programing... when I saw the date on the Soprafina, I had to laugh... I do have the same deck and treasure it... but figure it won't be worth a ton of $ for a hundred years or more.... or until everyone spills coffee on theirs.

Sulis

Is it a University Books deck? They have a pink back with an ankh symbol in the centre. They often come up for trade here and as Photokat says, aren't worth anything near what that lady is asking.

photokat

WalesWoman said:
Yes, I can do without the cleansing and programing...

Yup.

This seller is full of doggie doo-doo!

WalesWoman

photokat said:
Yup.

This seller is full of doggie doo-doo!
Yeah, i thought so, especially after there is diddley for description and goes on and on about her and her special witchiness. No wonder the HP side was up and not the Fool! LOL

it was the lack of street address, zip code and titles and the coloring that made me think it could be one of the first ones printed, but not showing the card backs made me wonder most... it almost seems like those are what gives the deck's age away.

Le Fanu

what a site...

$145 for the Piatnik Marseilles? $86 for the LoS Burdel Majors? Honestly...

I love the repeated emphasis on "new old" decks. What?? :bugeyed: