The more I see it, the less I like it.

prudence

Sometimes ATers use the word 'symbol' to mean the picture on the card, probably for the same reason that the word 'crystal' simply means 'rock' in the Crystals and Herbs forum. It sounds more elegant to them, I suppose.)

Sometimes ATers are from countries that use a language other than English as their first, so sometimes they use words that are not exactly the expected ones to express their thoughts. Even if those word choices are not what we might have chosen, we can all work out what has been articulated and expressed and answer accordingly.

As far as the "crystal vs rock" comment, this is not a rock-hound, gemologist or geologist forum, so to expect anything other than a lay person's opinion on any of these (rock/crystal) threads is folly. To bring it up here is inappropriate and somewhat antagonistic.

And the Rams heads are there for all to see, either we include that in our reading or we don't. It has nothing to do with how intellectual we are or how in tune with esoteric/occult practices we are....it's just what we choose to pick up in any given reading. And this deck is fine for all of that, it's generic enough, yet specific enough.

Richard

Sometimes ATers are from countries that use a language other than English as their first, so sometimes they use words that are not exactly the expected ones to express their thoughts. Even if those word choices are not what we might have chosen, we can all work out what has been articulated and expressed and answer accordingly.

And this is precisely why I explained the alternate meaning to ravenest. I am sorry if I violated political correctness by so doing. I was first confused by this usage of symbol = image in the Lenormand forums, which I have since made invisible to my forum list (to my great relief).

As far as the "crystal vs rock" comment, this is not a rock-hound, gemologist or geologist forum, so to expect anything other than a lay person's opinion on any of these (rock/crystal) threads is folly. To bring it up here is inappropriate and somewhat antagonistic.
Not at all. I brought it up as an example of AT-speak, to explicate my previous remark about 'symbol.' It was disconcerting to me for awhile, until I caught the hang of the nonstandard jargon. Actually almost all common images have a symbolic significance, and all chemical elements do have a microscopic crystalline structure. 'Crystal' indeed sounds more elegant than 'rock.' There is no harm in that usage whatsoever, although it is subject to misinterpretation.

And the Rams heads are there for all to see, either we include that in our reading or we don't. It has nothing to do with how intellectual we are or how in tune with esoteric/occult practices we are....it's just what we choose to pick up in any given reading. And this deck is fine for all of that, it's generic enough, yet specific enough.

I am in total agreement with that perspective. Go tell it on the mountain, Prudence! It seems like I've been preaching that forever. Of course, my statement about 'esoteric crap' was meant in jest, but it has been hurled at me in total seriousness on more than one occasion. It is not exactly the most pleasant thing to encounter, but it's not worth making a fuss about. I don't consider making fun of it as making a fuss, but maybe I'm wrong. Being wrong is a nuisance, but it would be silly for me to get all out of sorts about it. In some environments an explanation of the Emperor's correspondence with Aries would be met with ridicule. It's all a part of the dance. :)

PAMUYA

Sometimes ATers are from countries that use a language other than English as their first, so sometimes they use words that are not exactly the expected ones to express their thoughts. Even if those word choices are not what we might have chosen, we can all work out what has been articulated and expressed and answer accordingl.
Thank you.

Twize

I bought a Rider White month ago or so. I think is a fabulous deck to start and learn, but from some days ago, the more I look to the deck, the more I find it horrible. Ugly. Simpy, poor technical drawing, ugly colours. Even the blue sky of the star is ugly.
Does it happened to you?
Is the cheapest deck I think I have, so is the one I take with me on my bag, and is with me at the office, just in case I need it. But each time I find it more and more ugly. Total disconection with the deck.

Hi ivanna, sorry to hear about your experience with the Rider deck.

If it happened for me in the start? Yhea it did:)
But let me tell you what happen then, when started to explore the decks out there more deeply, more closely and became more involved with tarot for each day?

There's alot of decks that has been made upon the idea from Rider Waite, it says something. Like I see it, it's a timeless deck which probably will survive for long time ahead. It's made in a different age in historical sense, almost 100 years ago in a western society where these people lived who made it. But then I'm an western citizen myself even it's not exactly the same countries but there's an similarity in culture which I understand. There also one thing I see with Rider Waite which just makes me more interested for every single time I'm using the deck. I started to realize in the cards one day what older people used to say to me about the knowledge people had when they created things back in time, compared with these days.

They knew how to do things we can't do today when it comes to quite many things. Rider Waite has it and it's visible there. All the user have to do is to explore how to use it and I'm not sure everyone out there who right now dealing with divination noticed it as it's more commonly talking about what's personal taste. These modern decks may look attractive but they lacks quite often the same simple intuitive language all over that talks to the user when making a spread and the way the images with it's figures and gestures collaborates with each other in a spread (The pictorial key) which makes Rider Waite the number one in Tarot and why so many likes it.

Hope you'll find something soon that works for you :)
Rider Waite exists in many flavors

shadowmack

No, it may not be the prettiest deck out there, but it certainly has held my interest. The cards are just so deep. It is quite an effective tool.

Also, the more time you spend with them the more you may realize just how gorgeous and rich the cards really are.

Fortunately, though if you have absolutely no connection at all with the deck there are so many other options available.

ravenest

Symbol / image ... hmmmm . Generally I assume a meaning, sometimes I am assuming it is the 'accepted' or dictionary use , at times it helps to go into the word a bit more. But the meaning is unclear (still) which makes the original statement unclear. Maybe it means that many people have found the 'visuals depicted on' each card depict clearly the 'energy' or 'influence ' of the card or, perhaps to word it different, " it's generic enough, yet specific enough" - In that case ... that seems a valid reason for its popularity.

I looked at that international icon tarot ... where the concept seems to be the image on the card IS a symbol .... although I doubt the Hierophant 'symbol' would take off internationally and in China the Chariot would be mistaken for The Emperor ... but thats even more confusing.

The curious thing there is although it IS generic (and the pictures and words help) and many get a feel for the energy of a card, yet on the specific side, in some ways, it is extremely specific. Especially when one looks beyond the cards and into Waite .

Emily

I never thought the Rider Waite was very easy on the eyes either. I started with the so-called Original with the dark outlining and limited colours, until I came here I never realised other versions existed. My first standard Rider Waite is in Spanish, I never liked the yellow that seems to be through the whole deck so never bothered getting an English version.

I also have various recoloured versions, Radiant, Universal, Diamond but none of them satisfied me - not until the Centennial Version came out and then LoS put their version out. These decks are the Rider Waite's I've been waiting for. These decks have such an elegance and appeal to them, the images are the same as the standard RWS but the colouring makes all the difference. the card stock on both are very good, the Centennial feels a little more special than the LoS but it is the LoS that I carry round with me.

Take a look at these decks, you might find that they appeal to you. The centennial has also been released as a deck only without the set.

Richard

I think that the S-W Centennial is the best of the USG editions. The colors are muted but not muddy. Here is a scan I did which is truer to the actual colors on the cards than most scans which I've seen, at least on my monitor.

Attachments

• pcs.jpg
    pcs.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 187

Miss Divine

I also find the regular yellow boxed RWS just terrible to look at. My favorite is one that was printed in Belgium with blue backs that has a yellow cross with a red rose on it. The cardstock is just perfect and the colors are the best I have ever seen. The fonts are in Dutch and I can honestly say, I adore this version of the RWS. I cannot deal with the USGames yellow boxed monstrosity. I would never have learned if I would've had to work with that thing!

Teheuti

Aren't we lucky that there are so many other Tarot decks to choose from!

Personally, it has been my hands-down favorite deck for 48 years - along with the Marseille and Thoth. After those it's a changing variety of decks that only catch my fancy for a while.