Tarot de Trieste; the forgotten deck

Le Fanu

I am currently expecting in the mail this gem of a deck. It has intrigued me for a while now, mainly for being the only historical deck on Albideuter which I don't have nor do I ever remember it being published. How on earth did this slip under the radar?

It is a beautiful deck, some cards are vaguely Bolognese in style. Others less so; the Fool is oddly expressive (is that a dog or a cat hanging off his tunic?) and quite dissimilar to the other Bolognese decks. The beautiful Two of Cups, with its exquisite blood blots on the foliage, says it was produced by the factory of Angelo Valla. Other than that, I have no other information. I don't have it in my hands yet, so I cannot give any more details. A search for either Trieste/Angelo Valla brings up nothing. To my knowledge, it hasn't been mentioned here. Someone must have this deck; can anyone tell me anything about it? There must be some historical deck fans out there who know something about it. Who published it and when?

Come on, get me excited for its arrival!

Greg Stanton

Love it! From where did you order it? I want one too :)

SolSionnach

OMG MUST HAVE

WANTS!! WANTS!!

I love Strength and Judgment. I think this deck is more expressive than the Vieville.

Le Fanu, you have a PM!

gregory

Did you win it (do I have to kill you; I was watching that....) or.....

moderndayruth

Pope with three followers?! One of the women on Lovers wearing crown?! Bare-breasted Justice?! The smiling Hermit whose feet are turned into different directions?! One big Devil and two mini-Devils??? And the Moon... Awww!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
Beautiful! Lucky, lucky you! Congrats on your acquisition! :thumbsup:

Lillie

moderndayruth said:
Pope with three followers?! One of the women on Lovers wearing crown?! Bare-breasted Justice?! The smiling Hermit whose feet are turned into different directions?! One big Devil and two mini-Devils??? And the Moon... Awww!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
Beautiful! Lucky, lucky you! Congrats on your acquisition! :thumbsup:
And here was me thinking it was just another bloody Marseille...

Le Fanu

Got it off ebay. Like I say, I haven't seen it up close yet so I don't know what it will be like.

Don't you just love that Death card with the red, pustulating bubonic plague pox marks on the surface of the card?? :D

That Strength card has a proper lemniscate (is that how you spell it?) on her head-dress! (Get that Pixie! Angelo Valla got there first!)

Some lovely details, but can anyone tell me anything about it? Dates? Region? (I don't know much about geography, but Trieste isn't Bologne is it? Or was it? :confused:) Where has it been all my life?

Some very nice engraving work there. Quite expressive up close; the contours of the faces, the profiles, the shading. I'm looking forward to receiving it...

ETA; looking at it closer, loads of cards have those buboes from the Plague...

gregory

Le Fanu said:
Got it off ebay..
I don't love you any more.... :( I wanted that.....

gregory

Le Fanu said:
A search for either Trieste/Angelo Valla brings up nothing. To my knowledge, it hasn't been mentioned here. Someone must have this deck; can anyone tell me anything about it? There must be some historical deck fans out there who know something about it. Who published it and when?
I am still VERY ANGRY AND WEEPY AND STUFF - but even so, you are rubbish at google, Le Fanu. :D :love:

Here.

On a market for used things I found a remake (1998) of an old Tarot deck from ca. 1790, together with a book of not much worth in German language. I paid 4 Euro for both. Researching the web for it, I found that it is variously offered for not much money, especially by German amazon.
Peter Ortmann is the author of the book, the deck is called "das lombardische Tarot", but actually it's a sort of Tarot de Marseille deck made in Trieste, Fabrica di Angelo Valla, similar to
http://trionfi.com/m/d00586.htm
http://trionfi.com/m/d02062.htm
these decks. The original is in Deutsches Spielkartenmuseum.

Le Fanu

Gosh. Maybe this is it! Doesn't it say Lombardy Tarot with Historic card deck??

Good price too (if that's the one)!