How to make your tarot readings longer.

coeur

Try exploring numerology. It can shed some interesting insights on the reading.

celeste

Personally, at the end of every reading I either get them to draw an additional card from the deck for "What you need to know right now". I have the Cheryl Richardson Self-Care cards (an oracle deck)that are nice-they have a brief message on them but they always stimulate further thought from the querant. They say " I was just thinking about that!". It's a nice way to end a reading and is usually upbeat.

Anna

I like your readings the way they are.

Quantity dosn't mean quality.

And the reading you did for me was pretty much spot on, and very helpful.

WeepinWillow

Personally, I think it's pretty much "to each their own" when you're reading for someone else. If you think it's too short, why not ask the querent if they have any issues they want clarified. For my own personal readings, I usually clarify issues the same way. If there's something that's not making sense to me I draw however many extra cards as necessary. It's fine to keep it short and to the point, or to sit there and work on a big spread..

Good luck!

Michellehihi

that's an oooooooold thread, but I have been asking myself this question no later than yesterday. I did a reading for a friend, and it lasted around 10 minutes. And I remembered a time when I went for a professional reading and it had lasted one hour! So I thought maybe I should have talked more?
First I told my friend that I do not need to know her question in order to read, then I explained briefly each card and then she spontaneously told me her question and from then I could elaborate a little. She was happy and impressed and said that the reading was spot on, but I thought inside my mind, that I wished I had talked more...

Grizabella

that's an oooooooold thread, but I have been asking myself this question no later than yesterday. I did a reading for a friend, and it lasted around 10 minutes. And I remembered a time when I went for a professional reading and it had lasted one hour! So I thought maybe I should have talked more?
First I told my friend that I do not need to know her question in order to read, then I explained briefly each card and then she spontaneously told me her question and from then I could elaborate a little. She was happy and impressed and said that the reading was spot on, but I thought inside my mind, that I wished I had talked more...

Why did you wish you had talked more or that the reading took more time?

As others have said, doing a bigger spread is one way to lengthen the reading. Another is to talk about the message that's indicated by the relationship within the cards. Instead of doing it "this card means this" or "that card means that" separately, look for the interaction the cards have with each other. This is where the message really lies. Do you see two Cups and one Coin? Maybe this is more of an emotional matter. How do those two cards together give the message? Is there one Major and 2 Minors? Try putting the cards together with the Major in the middle and see what message that gives you as a unit instead of single card meanings.

In any spread, the meaning is in the combinations of cards instead of just each card alone. They all influence each other. Once you get into all that, the reading does last longer because the sitter will usually open up and contribute their thoughts, too.

SunChariot

Hi all,

I am having trouble making my reading longer. I feeling that short change my readings with all the short readings. I am not really good with words and have hard time writing.

Do have any ideas on how to make my readings longer?

It's hard to say, as long readings come naturally to me. I have a lot of trouble shortening mine when I try. I think it's in the way I think.

To know how to make yours longer, I would need to know what you are doing now. Then I could compare to what I do and tell you what's different.

I can tell you I start with my short book meaning. But that is not THE answer. For me it just points out the topic the answer will talk about. So I will start by telling the querent their answer is about....(what the card means).

Then I move on to the image. My readings are mainly intuitive from what I see in the card image, what is calling to me and feels like part of the answer and then what i sense it is saying in that particular reading.

I do tend to explain what I am doing.

So first I tell them what the card's basic meaning is to me, and that that is what the reading wants to talk about. The details come from the card and I do give them all the details.

I always send photos of the card so the reader can follow along. Then I tell them (for example), the image shows grass that is growing healthy and long. That is telling you that there will be some healthy growth in that area of your life. ....You see the sun shining brightly in the image, that is saying that there will be warmth between you two and enlightening experiences....The cat in the image is telling you you need to be more independent....

Etc. for all the parts of the image that call to me. I just get into the flow and the answers come. I just start typing away and I can't stop till done. Almost like taking dictation. People have told me that I may be chanelling the answers. Maybe, I don't know for sure.

But I just get into the flow and the answers flow out of me. I can feel if I get offtrack. It gives me an uncomfortable physical sensation. Then if that happens I stop and restart that section over. But otherwise, I just start going with the symbols and it just flows quickly and naturally.

Babs

Michellehihi

Why did you wish you had talked more or that the reading took more time?

As others have said, doing a bigger spread is one way to lengthen the reading. Another is to talk about the message that's indicated by the relationship within the cards. Instead of doing it "this card means this" or "that card means that" separately, look for the interaction the cards have with each other. This is where the message really lies. Do you see two Cups and one Coin? Maybe this is more of an emotional matter. How do those two cards together give the message? Is there one Major and 2 Minors? Try putting the cards together with the Major in the middle and see what message that gives you as a unit instead of single card meanings.

In any spread, the meaning is in the combinations of cards instead of just each card alone. They all influence each other. Once you get into all that, the reading does last longer because the sitter will usually open up and contribute their thoughts, too.

This is a very good advice and I can see how I could have talked more. I did 3 cards spread and I had swords-swords-cups so I could have elaborated on that...
And why do I wish it lasted longer? Well, it's just that my other friend, when we came back from the reading, said that we had been gone for so little time I couldn't have read in such time...

Michellehihi

It's hard to say, as long readings come naturally to me. I have a lot of trouble shortening mine when I try. I think it's in the way I think.

To know how to make yours longer, I would need to know what you are doing now. Then I could compare to what I do and tell you what's different.

I can tell you I start with my short book meaning. But that is not THE answer. For me it just points out the topic the answer will talk about. So I will start by telling the querent their answer is about....(what the card means).

Then I move on to the image. My readings are mainly intuitive from what I see in the card image, what is calling to me and feels like part of the answer and then what i sense it is saying in that particular reading.

I do tend to explain what I am doing.

So first I tell them what the card's basic meaning is to me, and that that is what the reading wants to talk about. The details come from the card and I do give them all the details.

I always send photos of the card so the reader can follow along. Then I tell them (for example), the image shows grass that is growing healthy and long. That is telling you that there will be some healthy growth in that area of your life. ....You see the sun shining brightly in the image, that is saying that there will be warmth between you two and enlightening experiences....The cat in the image is telling you you need to be more independent....

Etc. for all the parts of the image that call to me. I just get into the flow and the answers come. I just start typing away and I can't stop till done. Almost like taking dictation. People have told me that I may be chanelling the answers. Maybe, I don't know for sure.

But I just get into the flow and the answers flow out of me. I can feel if I get offtrack. It gives me an uncomfortable physical sensation. Then if that happens I stop and restart that section over. But otherwise, I just start going with the symbols and it just flows quickly and naturally.

Babs
I see what you mean. I should also "divide" my reading in steps, first read the card meaning, then dive into each card's imagery, then make links between cards.

I am just starting to read for others, this is very different than reading for myself because obviously when I read for me, I know when to stop, but for others...do they have enough info or not? Etc...

SunChariot

I see what you mean. I should also "divide" my reading in steps, first read the card meaning, then dive into each card's imagery, then make links between cards.

I am just starting to read for others, this is very different than reading for myself because obviously when I read for me, I know when to stop, but for others...do they have enough info or not? Etc...

It's really all about your intuition. Just listening to it and trusting it. I think in the same way that you can feel inside when you are done shuffling and things feel complete, it's really the same feeling that tells you the reading is done. Just listen inside you. You can't know with your mind. But your heart can tell you. When you FEEL inside that things are complete, then they will have all the info they need. Just feel it.

Babs