Question about care of deck

rwcarter

I keep decks that I use for reading in a pouch/bag. I keep decks that I'm studying out on my desk in the study (with the blinds closed to minimize any sunlight that might cause them to fade). I keep decks that I'm not using either in their original boxes or in pouched/bags. Do I consistently do the above things? Usually, but not always.

As others have said, you should do what works for you. Just be careful that your decks don't multiply while you're not looking. That's how I ended up with a collection of decks. :laugh:

Rodney

starrystarrynight

I keep my regular reading deck wherever it lands (sometimes in bed with me!!), and I keep it together with an elastic band. Nothing special.

All my other decks, I either keep in their boxes or in hand-painted wooden boxes I created just for them.

That's probably because I am creative-messy, so you might find a deck really anywhere in the house. I really should get them all together so I know where they all are at one time. But, as I said, I'm not that neat.

thinbuddha

cheekyinchworm said:
But more importantly, treating my decks in a special way helps me to get into the right sort of mental state when reading them.

I think that this is the key. The details of the ritual are not important- the mindset that ritual creates is.

My decks? Most of them are in the boxes supplied by the manufacturer.

-tb

6 Haunted Days

Umbrae said:
I keep mine in their boxes.

Some I keep in wooden boxes. I used to leave them out, but late at night they love to get up and cavort about. Early one morning I caught The Lovers and The Devil doing "something" in front of the vanity mirror…I had to separate them and put them in separate places in the deck as punishment.

:smoker:

:laugh: Yea I hear ya.

There is no have too. I keep mine in boxes and bags, I have a bookcase where the vast majority are alphabetized.

Some people keep them laying out after a reading to glance at during the day....I used too but with a 22 month old that's not going to happen again for years!

Umbrae

Not all that long ago, sanitary conditions were different.

A mouse, rat, or cockroach can destroy a deck in minutes.

So the old ‘keep yer deck in a box’ was common sense. Now it’s ‘ritual’.

Disa

Well, whether we "have to" or not- it's still alot of fun to dress them up and make them feel pretty, oh so pretty :)

Disa

Seafra

Mine are usually in a wooden box, gift from my daughter for just that purpose. I throw stubs of incense and have spilt resin in there over the years so there is a distinct smell to the box and my cards. When I was young they were in a cigar box, because, you know, kids keep stuff in cigar boxes.

But burn me at the stake; last night they were unprotected in my jacket pocket. I think they enjoyed the breath of fresh air.

Blessings - Seafra

6 Haunted Days

Disa said:
Well, whether we "have to" or not- it's still alot of fun to dress them up and make them feel pretty, oh so pretty :)

Disa

Well, duh. But I only dress up the ones I am using, I can't afford to dress up over 100 decks! The rest can be fine in their boxes, slumbering and waiting to be chosen :)

IndigoWonders

Most of mine are in their boxes in a bag, and sometimes I put that in a wooden box too! It's just for neatness sake though. I feel that they should be taken care of as you would care for anything special.

Interesting point, Umbrae, about sanitary conditions. I doubt I would have thought of that but my brain switched off a few hours ago. Do kids count?

Anam Cara

Umbrae said:
Not all that long ago, sanitary conditions were different.

A mouse, rat, or cockroach can destroy a deck in minutes.

So the old ‘keep yer deck in a box’ was common sense. Now it’s ‘ritual’.

ummm....I hesitate in pointing this out, but!
...as I'm married to someone who is in the pest control industry,
I can tell you...
those "sanitary conditions" or rather, unsanitary conditions,
are still much more common than you'd like to think...

Imagine the dinner conversations when we socialize with the folks he works with!!
Actually, i think i've (finally!) convinced him to NOT talk about work at meals!! :neutral:...eww!)

Anyway...I really enjoy "caring for" my decks, the ritual of it...
Almost all are housed in the upper half of my "secretary" desk,
either in their original box, a wooden box, a special bag, or both.
Also, in my bedroom, I have an antique wall rack that displays several bags (vintage and/or handmade) containing my favorite and most used decks.
I also keep various crystals in with a lot of the cards too...
fun to change them all around once in a while, but sometimes makes it a challenge to find a specific deck!
(now, WHICH bag has the Llewellyn in it?!?!?! :D)
:heart:cara