Tarot in Movies

Mycroft

Mycroft, is it a Visconti?
It looks like a Visconti-sforza.
It's a Visconti.

Firstly, a thousand apologies for taking so long, I didn't realise 3 weeks had passed since I posted on this. But at long last, in best Kermit the frog fashion - throwing my arms about wildly - tipping my head back and squealing in a very high-pitched voice, I can announce that;

closrapexa, Sever and LRichard are [size=+2]THE WINNNNNNNERS!!!!!![/size]

It certainly is the Visconti-Sforza, and probably the Pierpont Morgan looking at the backs and because US Games released it in 1975 and this episode of HHoH was filmed in 79. But we can't rest on our laurels, oh no, not for a moment because now it's time for the;

"Is This an Actual Deck or Just A Studio Prop That They've Mocked-up in a Contemporary Fashion" quiz (snappy title eh?) From The US version of 'Life on Mars' Episode 15 comes the following composite screenshot;

The source imagery is of course immediately apparent (and if it isn't then you're in the wrong forum, no honestly you are.) Yes, it is a post-coital tarot reading (you don't read that way? I thought everyone did these days!) The year is supposed to be 1973 (or is it) and the only two cards that are discussed are the 'Ace of Pentacles' and 'The Tower'.

I've tried to get the best shots of the backs that I can and whilst I've never seen anything like it, or any RWS variant where the images have been flipped over, others may know better. In the episode the deck is not given a name and is only referred to as "An Irish Tarot".

So, anybody ever seen this one someplace else, or is it a studio creation?

Zephyros

I see the Two of Wands isn't flipped but his coat is green instead of brown, and there's a weird sun-looking thing over the right wand. I can't see the Tower that well, but its sky seems to have been or at least colored red with white clouds. Only the Three of Swords seems unchanged. Never saw an Ace with a green pentacle before... also, notice how the pentagram seems to be continuing into the hand holding it as well as being bolder and more decorative. Also the celtic decorations in the corners. If I'm not mistaken, that's a ten of cups beneath the two of wands, also with modified coloring.

I would say it was a studio creation, were it not for the copyright notice on the side. Still, the backs are in improvement of the tartan.

Silverlyn

Now You See Me

In the latest movie: 'Now You See Me' there features several beautiful Tarot cards that each Magician receives. (Is that a real deck? I doubt it).

ArcaneWisdom

In the latest movie: 'Now You See Me' there features several beautiful Tarot cards that each Magician receives. (Is that a real deck? I doubt it).

I noticed those cards also! They showed the Lovers, High Priestess, Death and a few others but I can't remember them.

JankaV

I know someone mentioned Tombstone, but anybody know which deck that was? I rewound that brief scene twice while my husband laughed ;)

lucid_dawn

"Carnivale" also built its opening credits around a tarot motif--was one of the most wonderful title designs I've ever seen--well deserving of its Emmy. The tarot "deck" in the title design allegedly isn't real--it's just a series of classic, "masterpiece" paintings fitted into tarot card form; nonetheless, the effect is visually beautiful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouTCtwNIYaQ

I'm glad someone mentioned Carnivale. This show actually got me more into reading the cards. I also vaguely remember a few scenes in The Tudors where Henry is going kind of mad talking to the Jester. I think they are playing cards. It might be an early playing/tarot deck.

lucid_dawn

I just watched The Gift with Cate Blanchett. She's reading with ESP cards instead of tarot. But I feel the purpose of this was to stau neutral and avoid any steretyped movie cards like Death or Devil. The film is tastefully done.

EmpressArwen

I know someone mentioned Tombstone, but anybody know which deck that was? I rewound that brief scene twice while my husband laughed ;)

According to a couple of other websites,it was the Visconti-Sforza Pierpont Morgan Tarot. I don't know how accurate that info is.

cynthea

Wow! Tons of Tarot in My So-Called Life "Other Peoples Mothers"

This is a TV show and not a movie, but when I was in my early teens there was a show on TV that I really liked called My So-Called Life. It only made it for one season, though they still play it on The N I have noticed, but a couple years ago my parents bought it for me on DVD. It stars Claire Danes. Anyway, there is one episode that they have that is based on the tarot. "Other Peoples Mothers" is what the episode was called. I watched it last night because this thread made me think about it. When Angela (Claire Danes) went to her friends house, her firends mom was reading tarot for them. Then she went into some detail about the cards and went into detail about her readings. They showed the deck quite often, although I don't know what deck it was because I have never seen it before. Also, throughout the show they showed the kids reading with the cards and then at the very end, while Angela was talking about the events of the show she was comparing them to differet tarot cards.... it was pretty cool. :)

Wow! Tons of Tarot in My So-Called Life episode "Other Peoples Mothers." Excellent show and recommend this episode. I have never watched My So-Called Life, and will now watch all episodes. The end has a lot of good Tarot stuff too. I do not want to give spoilers :) And found on Xfinity ( Cable Provider), not Netflix or amazon Prime. On a roll now, want to watch other TV/movies featuring tarot. So fun!
I’m going to make a list of everyones recommendations in this thread now! :) thanks everyone for sharing!