Kabbalah: The Red String bracelet

BodhiSeed

It's a Rachel's Tomb thing. There are people at the Rachel's Tomb complex at all hours of the day and night, generally reading Psalms. It is also a practice to wind a red thread around the tomb itself 7 times, which can then be distributed to others. As I understand, anybody can do this.

Why do they wind the string around Rachel's tomb? I guess I'm asking why Rachel (as opposed to someone else)?

BodhiSeed

I found it fascinating that Chanah Seigel's answer was the Rachel's Tomb origination. Now I have something else to do when I visit Haaretz. I want a piece of that string!

FC, do you know why it's Rachel's tomb (as opposed to someone else's)? What is the connection?

firecatpickles

Rachel is one of the matriarchs so I imagine it would have something to do with this fact. It's a good place to start.

Some mothers tie a red string to a baby's crib to ward off evil spirits.

BodhiSeed

Thanks FC!:heart: Now I'm wondering if the red string shows up in other groups, cultures, etc.

moderndayruth

Thanks FC!:heart: Now I'm wondering if the red string shows up in other groups, cultures, etc.

It does, in Christian Orthodoxy too, its widely believed to ward off evil spirits.
(Not to forget that the Christianity at the moment of its occurring was merely one of twenty something Jewish sects in Jerusalem, by preserving the ancient rituals its still the closest to the religion from which it sprung.
As the side note - another thing Orthodox and Conservative Jews have in common with CO is that - only they - believe Bible to be the word of God.)
If you'd like me to post more on what's red string in Kabbalah and what it has to do with Rachel the matriarch - just say so.

BodhiSeed

It does, in Christian Orthodoxy too, its widely believed to ward off evil spirits.
(Not to forget that the Christianity at the moment of its occurring was merely one of twenty something Jewish sects in Jerusalem, by preserving the ancient rituals its still the closest to the religion from which it sprung.
As the side note - another thing Orthodox and Conservative Jews have in common with CO is that - only they - believe Bible to be the word of God.)
If you'd like me to post more on what's red string in Kabbalah and what it has to do with Rachel the matriarch - just say so.

According to Wikipedia (sometimes reliable, sometimes not), they seem to think it was more of a protective bit of folklore that got attached to religion. Here's a quote from the site about Rachel:

"Regarding the red string, the custom is to tie a long red thread around the burial site of Rachel, the wife of Jacob. Rachel selflessly agreed that her sister marry Jacob first to spare Leah shame and embarrassment. Later, Rachel willingly returned her soul to God on the lonely way to Beit Lechem, in order to pray there for the desperate Jews that would pass by on their way to exile and captivity. Often, one acquires the red string when giving charity.

"Perhaps for these reasons the red thread is considered a protective segula. It recalls the great merit of our matriarch Rachel, reminding us to emulate her modest ways of consideration, compassion, and selflessness for the benefit of others, while simultaneously giving charity to the poor and needy. It follows that this internal reflection that inspires good deeds, more than the string itself, would protect one from evil and harm."

MDR, maybe you could comment on the above information?:D

moderndayruth

MDR, maybe you could comment on the above information?:D

Certainly! I almost always can! :D

its worn on the left wrist - as you know, Kabbalah is the three column system;
right column - energy of sharing
left column - energy of receiving
central column - that balances both.
The system is represented by the three patriarchs: Right Column = Abraham; Left Column = Isaac; Central Column = Jacob
Remember Binding of the Isaac? Its a metaphor about curbing one's desire to receive for the self alone (Isaac) and to transform it to the desire to receive for the sake of sharing (Abraham).
You know that when Jewish men pray (and some women), they wear tefilin at the left arm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IDF_soldier_put_on_tefillin.jpg
its the reminder of that;
that's why red string is also worn at the left wrist, its a reminder that you should put others in the first place - and then God will take care of you (because you are busy helping other people and not only busy with your own interests.)
You might know that Jewish dress code bans red color - the rules of tznius/modesty don't allow Jewish women to wear it... yet the string is red.
It works like a spiritual vaccination, that's why. ;)
Not to forget the Ben Porat prayer that is read when its put on and the accompanying ritual, i can elaborate on that too. ;)

BodhiSeed

that's why red string is also worn at the left wrist, its a reminder that you should put others in the first place - and then God will take care of you (because you are busy helping other people and not only busy with your own interests.)
So then if it serves as a reminder of such, and if Rachel was considered to be a role model for selflessness, then the string around her tomb makes more sense.
<having a lightbulb moment :D>
Not to forget the Ben Porat prayer that is read when its put on and the accompanying ritual, i can elaborate on that too. ;)
Please do!:heart:

firecatpickles

The Conservative answer would be to learn teffelin (if you're Jewish, male or female) then worry about the the Red String.

I don't *do* teffelin yet, as I would have to do it each time it's allowed so I'm not about to start. But it's on my list of things to do for the next rung of the ladder.

moderndayruth

The Conservative answer would be to learn teffelin (if you're Jewish, male or female) then worry about the the Red String.
That makes sense to me personally, because Tefilin is more of a religious thing - and thus outer, and red string is inner and spiritual.
Here the schools of thought vary - some say religious observance comes first and the spirituality stems from it; in my case it was the other way around.
BUT
its all unimportant - the only thing that matters is said by Hillel, an ancient sage (there are various versions of the legend, this is my favorite):
he was approached by a newbie student of Kabbalah, overwhelmed by the quantity of the information; the student said
-Teacher, please, tell me what i really need to know while i stand on one leg.
(Read - in shortest possible time! :D)
The other students got enraged - like, "how can you expect to learn such wisdom in a short time, its impossible, you are rude and stupid too! "
But the wise teacher waived with his hand and said "Love your neighbor as yourself; all the rest is commentary." ;)

ETA: i have non-Jewish friends wearing tefilin, it works anyway