Celestine Prophecy

suedally

I still have both of these books, but haven't read them in about 10 years. I never did figure out how to see "auras" though (probably needed more practise). They were interesting and I will probably have another go at them to see if I think differently about them then when I last read them. It's strange how one's ideas can change over the years. It would be really sad if one didn't "evolve", which is why tarot is so great as it shows you what you need to work on.

outoftheashes

Synchronicity

Whether truth or fiction, I believe it is all about the underlying principle of synchronicity......you either believe in such or you do not believe. You keep an eye for the signs, or they slip right by you.

Lillie

Actually you either believe the book is true (as it presents itself to be) or you believe it to be a load of made up tripe (which it actually is)

It's dishonest.
It's intellectually and spiritually dishonest.

I kept an eye out for the signs and the signs told me that this book was bull.

I acted accordingly.

Teheuti

I read the book when it was first self-published (Redfield couldn't find a publisher at that time). There was nothing I saw that led to the idea that it was supposed to be a factual autobiography, but rather that it was a parable. A parable is a "story that illustrates a moral or religious lesson." This was a series of "new age" lessons made palatable through its story form.

None of the ideas were really new to me, but I enjoyed being reminded of things that I had experienced myself when "in the flow." Reading it reminded me of how it is possible to live in this kind of "reality" (at least for short periods) and what magic can arise from that.

Flying home from a trip to visit my husband's parents, as I read the book on the plane, I asked Ed a series of questions that had been asked of the protagonist about his parents, and we had one of the most deeply meaningful discussions ever about his life purpose or quest (as revealed through his beliefs about his parents).

When I got home I turned the process into a tarot spread that I've since used in many tarot workshops (always giving credit). I found it far more powerful as the cards suggested an at-first confusing possibility that often, once comprehended, contained a major breakthrough. This spread/process has resulted in significant insights for people. And for siblings and even those who never knew one or both parents, it has fostered some remarkable healings.

Part One
For each question draw two cards - one for your father and one for your mother (keep face down). Read only the cards for one parent first and only after that for the other parent. The key is to realize that this is not about your actual parents but about your perception of them. The interpretative process should be more about brainstorming possibilities than applying set meanings. What memories do the cards trigger?

• What did your father/mother stand for and believe in? (Cards 1 & 2)

• In what way(s) did your father/mother achieve this? (Cards 3 & 4)

• What kept your father/mother from doing it perfectly? (Cards 5 & 6)

• What meaning or truth did YOU learn from the above experiences of your father/mother? (Cards 7 & 8)

• What would you have changed about your father/mother that would have enabled him or her to have a better life? (Cards 9 & 10)

Part 2
Use the same cards as above and apply the same conclusions you've already drawn (although feel free to add new ones). You'll be looking at the same cards from a new perspective.

• What is the Higher Synthesis or Truth for YOU based on what you learned from your parents? You derive this by blending Cards 7 & 8, as well as your prior thoughts about them.

For instance, a summary might be: My Higher Synthesis or Truth is that I believe in 7:"standing up for" 8:"the beauty of life."

• What do you want to find out how to do? This is based on your being able to integrate and do what you believe your father and mother SHOULD have done to live a better life (Cards 9 & 10).

Summarize this as:

My Life Quest is to find out how to ________ (a blend of 9 & 10—i.e., a combination of what you think they each should have done).

I'll always be grateful to James Redfield and The Celestine Prophecy for this process.

Lillie

Well, maybe your copy is different to mine then.

Mine is lying BS from beginning to end, filled with cheap gimcrack teachings that could have come from out of a cracker.

Anyhow, glad someone likes it.
One day, when I get round to it, I shall ritually burn my copy, or something.

I mean, I have read a load of weird crap books in my life, and this one didn't even have humour to recommend it.

I'd rather stab myself in the head than read the second.

Oh yes, that was another thing.
It come out with all these shoddy teachings, and then at the end said there was another one, but you have to buy the next book to find that out.
Well, OK. Two bite of the cherry in the sales stakes.
They might write rubbish but they are not stupid...

Lula Jing

Lillie said:
I thought it was a pile of hogwash, but I tend to think stuff like that is a pile of hogwash anyway.
LOL Lillie! ;)

Somebody kindly bought me this book in a secret santa years ago. I was grateful for the thought and the gift but really.... I read it and was thinking all the way through, what a load of cr@p! Seriously... twaddle.

I car booted it ages ago.

In my honest opinion I thought it was silly and manic.

Teheuti

I never read or even wanted to read any of the follow-up books. But it is amazing how sometimes just exactly the right words from a book are in the right place at the right moment. Which is how I felt in the airplane, having a really deep conversation about the spiritual legacy a person had gotten from his parents (and definitely without their conscious intent!).

Even if something is shit, that doesn't mean alchemical gold can't be made of it!

gregory

Please let us know when you've done it..... ;)

Teheuti

gregory said:
Please let us know when you've done it..... ;)
I and many other who've tried the spread have considered the results to be pure gold. That is according to this definition from my Apple on-line dictionary: "• a thing that is precious, beautiful, or brilliant." It's not the book, nor the spread, nor the reader, but what results from a person's committment to do the work and to value the insights that can be so precious and beautiful.

Libra8ca

outoftheashes said:
Whether truth or fiction, I believe it is all about the underlying principle of synchronicity......you either believe in such or you do not believe. You keep an eye for the signs, or they slip right by you.
I read the Celestine Prophecy years ago when I was into synchronicity (Jung etc) and I found it to be not too bad but in hindsight I find it well... somewhat unsubstantial. I was actually under the impression that it was a true story but after reading the posts here it looks like I was fooled :( :laugh:
I eventually got rid of it to make space for something better :D You haven't missed anything if you haven't read it, I recommend a good book on synchronicity instead....