What about reading for yourself?

NightQueen

when i want to read the cards for myself nothing makes sense its hard to explain so ive given up reading for myself:)

JennyM

I think I have better luck reading for myself than someone else. (After that comes someone I know.) I try by best to stay objective and not read wonderful things into the cards when they're not there....and generally, I think I do OK with that.

zach bender

nexyjo said:
while i do read for myself, i will often project my wishes into the meanings, as opposed to reading what is there. and this leads to misleading readings. knowing this however, facilitates open mindedness on my own part, with interpretations.

this is exactly why it is valuable to read for yourself on a rather regular basis: it gives you flexibility in reading the cards, and it actually helps you see the nature of reality more clearly, if you listen.

zb

zach bender

of course I do realize that the fact that I read almost exclusively for myself, and have done only three or four readings "for" others, can be seen as very much affecting the view I have just expressed, and there may be people out there who would say, yeah, I've been there, outgrew it . . .

zb

manhattan9thgate

I read for myself all the time now.

There was a time in my life when I stopped doing so (stopped reading Tarot altogether) because I wasn't ready to be objective and totally honest with myself about many things and therefore the readings were a complete waste of time and energy. how can you read for someone else when you can't even handle your mirror image in the Tarot.

Thankfully, I'm in a very different space now.
You can't be successful with the Tarot or with your life in general if you can't be cold blooded and brutally honest with yourself in every respect.
It's not pleasant or easy but when you can achieve that then you'll be amazed at what else can be accomplished.

Tarot is a tool of introspection and self examination and it will help you,
even if you drop it because you'll still be left with the message it imparted to you about yourself....... and while you can walk away from a Tarot deck you can't run away from yourself......and that's a good thing if you can act on that in a positive way.

Clay

Yes! Definitely read for yourself.

The Tarot provides a wonderful set of symbols that your inner being can use to communicate more clearly with the waking consciousness. For me, it's like a message board through which I get lots of helpful advice from some more fully knowledgeable part of my being. For instance, if I have a powerful dream that I'm not sure how to interpret, I can make a spread that asks about the things that appeared in the dream and then using the Tarot, I *always* get help in interpreting the dream. (That just one example of the zillion things you can do for yourself with the Tarot.) Like somebody else said, if I didn't read for myself, I'd hardly be doing any reading at all.

Clay

Hawthorne

I read for myself. It's how I'm learning the Tarot, really. However, I dont read for myself if there is a situation that I am particularly emotionally involved with. I will either wait until my emotions are calmer, or I'll have someone else read that subject for me - I've found a professional reader who I feel a rapport with, and who has now done 3 email readings for me that have been excellent. I just *know* the situations when I'm too close, or too emotional about an issue to be able to read it successfully for myself. Having said that, this did take time for me to learn that knowing feeling!

I mostly find the cards very accurate, however sometimes I do a reading and I just *know* it is not right...either my mood is wrong for reading, or I'm giving off some vibes or whatever, but I can just tell as soon as I look at the cards. I will make a note of the reading, cards, position etc, and then make a note to say the reading felt somehow "off". I go back and its always the case that it was indeed "off".

manhattan9thgate

you can't read for anyone else until you've mastered yourself

Hawthorne

I tend to agree with that - you cant read for someone else unless you've mastered yourself. I tried to read for someone else a couple of times but I wasnt feeling comfortable with it, so I'm only reading for myself until I'm a lot more confident.

SunChariot

edenlane said:
I always herd that you shouldnt read yourself, is that true? what could be the effects of it?

No it is not true. In fact I read only for myself for the first year and a half. I would say the most obvious effect is you improve your skills as a reader. The more you practice the more you learn. :grin:

But it does take certain skills that reading for others may not require to the same extent. You have to really be able to detach yourself from any feelings you might have of wanting one answer over another. If you really want to see one answer (one event show up in your future) you might try to see it in the cards even when it's not there, or refuse to see something you don't want to see.

Reading for yourself requires a certain detachment from your feelings. I think that it helps if you go into the reading ready to hear whatever it says good or bad and just wanting to hear the truth. Because if we hide from an unpleasant truth and refuse to see it, then it will just happen anyway. But with that truth we can change our futures into whatever we want. But only if we know that unpleasant truth first can we prevent it. Or we can improve good things, but first you need to really know what's up.

Babs