University Press RWS deck

RichardG

Backs of cards have different colored pink wavy lines ?

Yes swedishfish612, the UP decks have a character all of their own - sometimes compelling their caretakers to partake in bizarre behavior!

Can I ask you (along with any other interested parties) to compare the BACKS of their University Press decks please?

In both of my U.P. decks, the age of the card stock looks consistent - the cards of one deck look a fair bit older than the other.
However, WITHIN each deck, the intensity of pink wavy lines on the back of the cards varies markedly between cards - some having a rather dark pink tone and others looking quite washed-out with much lighter pink wavy lines.

What does this mean, I wonder?
More and more I'm starting to believe that one of my decks was assembled from bits and pieces of other decks over time - so I wouldn't be too surprised to find differences in the colors of the card backs.
However I am rather confident that my second deck has not been tampered with at all - it's the one original deck - but the cards definitely have different colored/intensity pink backs.

Is this true of your U.P. deck too ? Another University Press puzzle.....

rwcarter

I have a number of UP RW decks, and yes, the backs vary in shading/brightness/intensity.

You can also post in the New thread: Lost and Found Singles Bar for missing Cards to see if anyone has the card you're missing. A former member had a stash of cards from that deck that she was happy to give to people. I have lots of broken decks, but that's not one of them unfortunately.

swedishfish612

I just checked and yes, my wavy lines seem to vary in intensity as well. I hadn't noticed that before!

Chiska

My 1959 UP is Very much Used. It is Liber T Keywords written on most Cards and the Tree of Life diagrams and titles are also drawn on Some cards. Unfortunately, one Card is extremely Creased. l need to patch it up so I can use the deck.

RichardG

The urge to purchase yet another deck grows stronger with each passing moment

You can also post in the New thread: Lost and Found Singles Bar for missing Cards to see if anyone has the card you're missing.

Thank you, RWC. I have placed a request in 'Lost and Found Singles Bar' for the U.P. Seven Wands.
Hopefully someone will have a spare, allowing me to reform the deck, making it complete for the first time in it's 45 years of existence!

Although, I must confess that I feel the urge to go out and purchase yet another University Press deck - one that's perfect and complete from the word go....

I wonder any other Aecleticians recognize that feeling....?

rwcarter

Although, I must confess that I feel the urge to go out and purchase yet another University Press deck - one that's perfect and complete from the word go....

I wonder any other Aecleticians recognize that feeling....?
I'm a Completionist. I ended up with 3-1/2 copies of the Dali Tarot because the first one I got (as part of a box of decks) was a photocopy pasted onto index cards that was starting to separate. That's the half deck. So I know exactly what you're talking about. See Completionism for more details and for the stories of others. :)

RichardG

A bit here and a bit there.

I will attempt to stay on topic.
(And WILL post my confessions in the Completionism thread, thank you RWC)

Felt my excitement levels rise when I thought I'd finally located a copy of the (supposedly non-existent) LWB sitting along side a Univeristy Books deck on eBay.

I contacted the Seller who advised that the LWB in fact did not belong to the deck, but that she had found it around the house and was happy to throw in it with the Auction.

Blood Pressure returning to normal now.....

The deck is a bit of a mish mash anyway (he said, trying to console himself).
The Introductory card has a different zip code on it compared to the box.
(Search "Authentic Vintage Tarot Cards University books with Tarot instructions" on eBay)

I do recognize this LWB from the long distant past - perhaps a USG RWS from the mid '80s?

Attachments

• Instruction book.jpg
    Instruction book.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 223

rwcarter

I thought that LWB might be from a Tarot Productions Albano Waite, but it's not. I don't think it's a USG Rider Waite LWB, although it does look familiar to me.

3ill.yazi

I have a USG RWS from that era, and it looks much the same as today's, and not like the one shown here.

RichardG

Attention University Books Purists!

I have been in contact with an eBay seller to ask about the LWB accompanying a UB deck that she is selling. She has responded "It does say university books Inc. on the page that they want you to buy The Pictorial Key to the Tarot book."
I'm not sure if she is referring to the Introductory Card here OR the LWB.

But I am really wondering if we have uncovered a University Books LWB - the very existence of which is hotly disputed!

Although she is asking FAR too much for this item, I'd purchase it myself just to see the LWB - but she will not post to Australia.
If there is another Purist out there as intrigued by this as I am, here's your chance!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161363261723?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If you DO purchase PLEASE tell us all where the LWB hails from! (Maybe even upload a scan?)
Disclaimer: I have NO affiliation with the seller, of course.
This is all about tracking down the LWB (that I, personally, DO believe exists!)!