Quantum Tarot: the Seven Cups

nisaba

This is the most Rider-Waite card in the entire deck. Once again we have seven Cups floating in front of a choosing figure, and each Cup has a little image of its own in it to tempt or repel the chooser. In this case, however, the contents of each cup are details taken from seven of the other cards in this deck. A fruitful discussion could be had by tracking those originals and discussing them and how they relate to the Seven Cups more fully, and perhaps when I have more time and energy, I'll be up for it (someone, remind me!). Behind the Cups, a smaller, hotter star is dying, has blown off its outer envelope of exhausted gases, and freed of those constraints and the extra gravity and heat, is expanding into a huge but dim and dying Red Giant. Red Giants are the OAPs of the galaxy, hobbling along on the stick of their already fusion-affected complex elements rather than incinerating everything around them in a burn of pure hydrogen.

(Talking about burning gases, an interesting meditation mantra can be had by chanting "Hydrogen - Helium - Lithium" repeatedly. Try it and see).

Like the Rider-Waite figure, the Quantum figure appears to have almost made a decision, and extended a hand out to take his choice. However, will he go for that one? There is still time to hesitate, and choose a less challenging Cup. Like many of the figures in this deck, his body is not made of flesh, but is a hole in space, this time filled with water, green light and celestial bodies around the shoulder and upper arm that is presently reaching out.

The very last observation I will make on this card is that the flare-off of teh gaseous envelope from the Red Giant creates a tube-like, tunnel-like effect back to the Red Giant, and the Cups look as if htey are flying formatino out of that tunnel towards us. Perhaps if the indecisive figure just waits, the Cups will choose him instead! And in fact, often when this card comes up I counsel people to make their choices very carefully, or to stand back and try not to make choices until a little later when the air is a bit clearer.

KarlThomas

That is very interesting interpretation of this seven, N. Coincidental, if you will, to a question I answered in a workbook recently. It was a "finish the sentence", which went like this:

"I've had many psychic experiences ___________________________ "

for an answer, I wrote in, "or they have had me".

It felt accurate, because I do not experience these experiences as something I can cause. I can nurture them into my life with meditation and clarity, and provide a welcoming mind as an event potential, but they will come or not.

Reading about how if you don't choose a cup, a cup may choose you, feels like a parallel. This is a new 7cup angle for me, I like it.

Leo62

Sorry I haven't been contributing too much, but have read - and enjoyed - all the entries (and will continue to do so). :D

Attachments

• QuantumCards-43.jpg
    QuantumCards-43.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 183

nisaba

Kay, I'm genuinely curious: how did you choose which of the other cards in the deck to "quote" in each Cup in this card? Is there a story to the choice of quoted detail?

Leo62

nisaba said:
Kay, I'm genuinely curious: how did you choose which of the other cards in the deck to "quote" in each Cup in this card? Is there a story to the choice of quoted detail?
I can't remember! I think we tried to include a cross-section of the symbols we'd used in the other cards, to represent all the major theories...

Hopefully Chris will come in and help me out here. :D

Interesting - I guess this *is* the most Riderwaitish card...I'd never considered that before. It certainly wasn't a conscious choice. It's one of the more fiddly, detailed cards so I guess once we decided to go with the RWS format of 7 cups with 7 little thingys coming out of them, it was inevitable.

I remember it taking a very long time getting everything lined up properly. :rolleyes:

nisaba

Leo62 said:
... so I guess once we decided to go with the RWS format of 7 cups with 7 little thingys coming out of them, it was inevitable.

I remember it taking a very long time getting everything lined up properly. :rolleyes:
<smile> Now, why does neither of those things surprise me!