The Happy Squirrel card

nisaba

Sadly, squirrels never pop up around here. Possibly because I live on a squirrel-free landmass.

SatuGustafson

I don't know if it's a common saying or if it was just something he made up but my friend's boss used to say, "Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen!" (The Devil is a squirrel).

He said it to express the idea that you should always be careful because "you never know" and something might come up totally unexpected, like a catastrophe can happen even if you made extra sure and checked everything twice.

It means, a squirrel is cute and cuddly and seems harmless but it is also fast and has sharp teeth. :D

So the Happy Squirrel could be some sort of Devil or Trickster card.

lemurkat

I am making a tarot deck at the moment and am tempted to make a Happy Squirrel card of my own. Except that mine is based on the New Zealand environment, so it won't be a squirrel!

But one thing I would point out, and it may have been mentioned already, the Happy Squirrel may be the 23rd card in the major arcana, but wouldn't his number be #22? Because the Fool is #0.

And thinking that, I might make a #23 = Chaos. Maybe that can be the earthquake card.

Winterchild

Chaotic Squirrels.....

I am making a tarot deck at the moment and am tempted to make a Happy Squirrel card of my own. Except that mine is based on the New Zealand environment, so it won't be a squirrel!

But one thing I would point out, and it may have been mentioned already, the Happy Squirrel may be the 23rd card in the major arcana, but wouldn't his number be #22? Because the Fool is #0.

And thinking that, I might make a #23 = Chaos. Maybe that can be the earthquake card.

Love it Lemur :)

A Happy Possum? !

Winterchild

Noir Squirrel!

I made one original Happy Squirrel for the Tarot Noir...but only one person was lucky enough to get him!

(there is also a single original Minute deck Happy Squirrel...that I sold with my working deck on ebay...alas I never scanned it.)

OMG I would love one of these for my Tarot Noir!!!!

mah jong

In the International Icon Tarot deck, the happy squirrel picture is mildly sinister looking, yet the only message I get from the card is this: "Smile." Take a moment from the reading and smile.

nisaba

I don't have a single deck with a Happy Squirrel card. Do I need to get one? How do people feel about their Happy Squirrels after all this time?

Alta

To me they are a novelty and I don't use them in readings. Like the title cards, and other 'extra' cards, I just keep them in the box.

Rhinemaiden

I wouldn't buy a deck just because it had a Happy Squirrel card, tho I'm happy to own decks that have one (Postmark Lenormand, International Icon etc). I keep the card in the deck and when it comes up, for me it's serendipity... a sign that something unexpected and good is coming my way that day! :D

Kat Black's Touchstone Tarot has a Happy Squirrel card...

Sulis

To me they are a novelty and I don't use them in readings. Like the title cards, and other 'extra' cards, I just keep them in the box.

I have a few decks with a Happy Squirrel card and I think of them as Alta does. I've used a Happy Squirrel card as a bookmark before :).