Why Lenormands?

greatdane

I was curious why some prefer Lenormands at times over other oracle decks or tarot. What does a Lenormand do for you other decks don't?

There are some GREAT-looking ones out there, and just to name a FEW, the more classic Lenormands, the Pixie, the Mystical, oh, and that lovely Magical Lenormand that Le Fanu shared. So, all you AT Lenormand fans, what is it about a Lenormand that does it for you?

Thanks for your thoughts.

GD

Inthetree

For me, and I'm sure a lot of people who work seriously with the Lenormand will disagree, it's my go-to light hearted deck. I've spent a lot of time studying Tarot, there's a lot of information(often conflicting) floating around in my head about each card. It's so easy for me to over-analyze and spend an hour trying to interpret a one-card draw. The Lenormand has 'set' meanings and even set meanings for some card combinations. It just feels lighter and easier to me, and certainly not as in-depth as I would read the Tarot.

Not saying the system is easier, just one that I know less about and thus it's easier for me to accept standard book meanings, which is just how I feel like reading sometimes. So far I only have one Lenormand deck, and I'd planned to keep it that way but the Pixie's Lenormand is so amazing! So that may be the deck that kickstarts a Lenormand love/study and ruins all this anyway :)

MareSaturni

Frankly, I find Lenormand much more objective than Tarot.

In fact, I confess I've been feeling quite disappointed with Tarot lately, giving more attention to my Lenormand and Playing Card studies.

Lenormand... gives you more practical things to work with. This card is about work, this combination is about illness, this other is about gossip... it points you practical things that are going on around you. Whereas Tarot tends to be quite vague (or the readers are vague, I don't know anymore). It's always "change", "potential", "strength", and all those things that seem quite useless when you are dealing with the nitty-gritty.

It's too spiritual, whereas Lenormand seems more about the daily life. That's why I have been reaching more for it than for tarot, as of late.

greatdane

Hi Inthetree

Thank you for your thoughts.

greatdane

Marina! Como está?

So you see tarot as kind of more philosophical and lenormands as more practical? That makes sense. I noticed just in my brief study of lenormands they tend to be just very to the point, not as much leeway and interpretation as tarot. Would you agree with that then?

Bênçãos, meu amiga!

GD

MagsStardustBlack

Great post GD as i was wondering about this myself! xxMags.

greatdane

Thank you, Mags

I appreciate your interest. I have been reading posts with interest here as well.

This thread sprang out of what my threads tend to spring up from, my lack of knowledge and my interest in learning more. I have noticed some people like certain types of oracles, sometimes lenormands specifically, and wondered about the attraction. I see the physical and initial attraction, but wanted to know more about what readers really get from lenormand that they may not get from other oracles or tarot. Not saying they don't get benefit from those as well. Just wanted to know specific attraction various readers have to this style.

Blessings, Mags.

GD

Le Fanu

It appeals to the the grammatician in me, the writer or the algebrist (?). Let me explain, I mean, I see Lenormands as like building a sentence or an algebraic formula and I find this way of reading quite intriguing.

I read Lenormands like a linear, codified, succinct sentence;

e.g Heart + Sickle + Fox + Tree = ?

Could mean a rupture of the heart caused by deceit of a third party but leading to growth and maturity.

This isn't how I read tarot cards (though there is nothing to stop someone reading tarot cards like this.)

I remember getting my first ever Lenormand years ago (a blue owl with gilt edges) and being intrigued as to how they could be read and how the symbols felt stripped down, unlike tarot which has had so much heaped on top of it. Now there are so many beautiful Lenormands around to choose from and it's going to get worse, I bet...

How can one look at the Melissa and not want to read with it?

greatdane

Ah, Le Fanu

Thank you for that. Succinct and makes so much sense to me. You've cut it to the basics and shared your experience, which I very much enjoyed.

Now, if I could just reach through the monitor and grab that Magic Lenormand from the site you posted....hope you share more thoughts regarding that one soon!

GD

MagsStardustBlack

greatdane said:
I appreciate your interest. I have been reading posts with interest here as well, as I have much to learn.

This thread sprang out of what my threads tend to spring up from, my lack of knowledge and my interest in learning more. I have noticed some people like certain types of oracles, sometimes lenormands specifically, and wondered about the attraction. I see the physical and initial attraction, but wanted to know more about what readers really get from lenormand that they may not get from other oracles or tarot. Not saying they don't get benefit from those as well. Just wanted to know specific attraction various readers have to this style.

Blessings, Mags.

GD

I think it's a great idea, i'm just getting my head around all the different reading cards and their systems, not studying them just wanting to know whats out there. So your thread ties in nicely with one i did the other day, like an extension. I have an oracle deck, and was wondering whay so many people chat/discuss and study Lenormand myself - you know, what the attraction and difference was.

I love learning my decks and equally love to know all the different types of decks, different systems and history and so on.....xxMags