Black Basilisk lives in the darkest part of the Forest, in a gloomy cave,
with two faithful dog servants. When there are dirty deeds to be done,
all call upon him. But he is astute and very rich because he always wants
something in exchange: “My services come at a price, and perhaps you
will not like it!”

This is one of the darkest cards of the deck in terms of the colors used in the
artwork. The only one darker is the Tower card. The two puppies look sort of
resigned to there posts. They are sort of emotionless. Just sitting waiting
for their next assignment. The devil seems very high up, wanting attention.
Waving his hands, reminding us of the temptations of life.

Attachments

• 15 Devil.jpg
    15 Devil.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 779

r0sered1ster

Magical Forest- the Devil

I kinda like this card as it speaks of being chained to all sorts of things such as outdated ideals, unhealthy habits ( fits of anger, the false belief that you just can't LIVE without so-and-so) and even drug or alcohol issues. When I see the chains around the little dog's necks, I notice just how loose the chains are and think that this is implying that they both could very easily slip out of their bonds and escape if only they'd take a closer look. It reminds me of my favorite saying "There's always a way out, always a solution and always, ALWAYS hope"

mando

Is this the skeleton from the Death card - the colours and basic shape are the same but it looks different. The to dogs look like slaves, but don't they know they can just lift the chains and walk away? I feel trapped looking at this card - because I want to tell the dogs what to do to leave, but I cant get through to them as they sit there entranced. I find it strange that the devil himself is an amalgamation of different bits of different creatures stuck together - perhaps the card is telling em that we sometimes create our own fears? And I just noticed the dogs look like poodles that have had their hair done (or overdone) and perhaps this is why they are enslaved? (They are too vain)

giustizia

I really like this version of the Devil card. Something about the little skeleton is charming. It seems like it's been jumping up and down, trying to get you to come over and play. Unfortunately though, most of our bad habits are picked up because they look so appealing. We know that they're bad, but at the same time they offer a comfortable break from the outside world. It's easy to convince ourselves that we're powerless against them, just like the little dogs chained up at the bottom of the pillar. However, this is a lie. Like many others have observed, the chains are loose and the dogs can leave whenever they want to.

Personally I feel trapped when I look at it, not because I've been courting the Devil, but because I've been trying to avoid it instead. I'm afraid of letting my guard down and making a mistake. The Devil has been trying to catch my attention, not to tempt me to follow the wrong path, but to remind me that it's actually safe to have more fun. I feel like even though this is quite literally a dark card the artist was able to capture a more optimistic message than we normally see. It has definitely become a favorite of mine.

magpie9

... And I just noticed the dogs look like poodles that have had their hair done (or overdone) and perhaps this is why they are enslaved? (They are too vain)

There is really nothing worse than a bad hair day involved, if you're a poodle. A really good stylest is worth the extra if it keeps you out of the 'devil's throne room. And don't forget to tip well, it may be what saves you. :D