Prehnite

EmpyreanKnight

Prehnite, especially the ones with huge epidotes, is one of my absolute favorites. Along with gold sheen obsidian I use it the most often among my crystal collection. It is so potent and effective, and it is inexpensive to boot. As the stone of prophecy, I feel that it has helped my readings become more accurate. Maybe I just happen to jive with its energies or I'm just especially attuned to its frequency, but I find working with it to be so effortless and natural. I also find it very aesthetically pleasing. I just love it.

Has anyone else worked with this stone? What are your experiences?

EvaSegovia

There is the MOST AMAZING piece on EBay right now: SPHEREFACTOR: Gemmy Australian PREHNITE w/ IRONSTONE Polished Palm Stone. It's $65 which is NOT a good figure for me right now, but oh I SO wish I had it!

EvaSegovia

Does anyone know WHY prehnite is considered a stone of prophesy? I read that "Prehnite helps precognition and inner knowing." But it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the upper chakras, so I'm somehow not seeing the connection... Anyone?

EmpyreanKnight

Does anyone know WHY prehnite is considered a stone of prophesy? I read that "Prehnite helps precognition and inner knowing." But it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the upper chakras, so I'm somehow not seeing the connection... Anyone?

Hi EvaSegovia! A stone's prophetic prowess does not merely rely on what chakra/s it traditionally controls. In many cases, its historical use (and therefore efficacy) as a stone of augury is also taken into consideration. After all, one can't go wrong with something that has been deemed effective for centuries, right?

Prehnite is named after the Dutch commandant Hendrik von Prehn, who was said to have "discovered" the crystal in the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa in 1813. Of course it was very well-known to the natives before then. In fact, it has been used by South African indigenous shamans since ancient times to enhance their powers of prophecy. They think that prehnite helps them take the right decisions to guide their tribe. That's why until now it is regarded as a great ally for readers and healers, and is considered a good stone to use when working with tarot or crystal balls. I always use it when I read and even sometimes when I'm reading Tarot books, and I highly recommend it.

EmpyreanKnight

Interestingly, the other crystal I use in my readings is one that answers to the base chakra, and with its gold sheen, the solar plexus chakra. Now traditionally, black stones are the very antithesis of the third eye and crown chakra stones in that they promote grounding primarily, which from what I've read may hinder the higher chakra's psychic propensities.

Black obsidian is a very different animal tho. As far as I know, when polished and crafted into mirrors, it has been used in scrying by some Mesoamerican cultures, like the Toltecs and the Mayans. To the Aztecs, obsidian was a divine stone, thought to be a form of blood originating from deep in the earth. It was sacred to the god Tezcatlipoca ("Smoking Mirror"), who presided over magic, divination, the night sky, and ancestral memory. The celebrated Elizabethan sorcerer John Dee was said to have acquired a black obsidian mirror from the Aztecs which is now displayed in the British Museum. As one account stated:

. . . an Obsidian Mirror was used by John Dee (1527-1608), a famous astrologer, mathematician, magician and advisor to Queen Elizabeth I. The mirror had been brought to Europe by Cortez, after his conquest of Mexico between 1527 and 1530. John Dee and his associate Edward Kelly used the mirror to ‘see’ the Angel’s oracle text, messages from angels that were pertinent to political and social events of the Elizabethan Court and highly valued by this society.

Also worthy of note are some accounts that say that one of the most well known and famous prophets, Nostradamus, is said to have used a black obsidian mirror as well as a dish filled with ink to make his famed predictions.

EvaSegovia

WOW!!! I'm so glad you responded EK! The history of these two stones is fascinating to me... I have a semi-large (4inchish I believe) flat black obsidian stashed away in my things. Not a mirror, but I'll dig it out just the same! The Prehnite I'm going to have to put on my wish list! Thanks again for typing out all the info...