New Thoth Tarot book.

Aeon418

It IS very inconsistent in tone.
It's not just the tone, it's the content. The book could have done with a good editor to point out where the author contradicts himself time and again. I get the feeling that some of the chapters were written in isolation or at different periods in time. Somewhere along the way the author changed his mind, but didn't go back and revise the earlier stuff. That sort of inconsistency makes it a bit of frustrating read.
The repeated misquoting of The Book of the Law is another bit of sloppiness that an editor would have caught.

A little less Golachab would have been nice too. But I don't think any editor could completely solve that problem... :bugeyed:
Nonetheless, he's given me food for thought; a good thing!
The section dealing with the Minor cards wasn't so bad.
I don't regret buying the book.
The ultra cheap Kindle edition. ;) :laugh:

Terrapin

[The section dealing with the Minor cards wasn't so bad.] quote

Yes, but there is his refusal to address the symbols in these cards. Not important to him.

[The ultra cheap Kindle edition.] quote

Yes. Very reasonable :)

Quotidianlight

I am halfway through the kindle version and it's a nice quick read that I'm finding really helpful. It is the WORST editing in a self published book I've ever read. As for content, it may not be 100% but I definitely feel like it's giving me a basic framwork to hang more studies on. I do feel like I can go back to reading The Book of Thoth a little easier now. This book is a bit like borrowing a classmates lecture notes. I wonder he just slapped his study essays together and called it a book without editing at all. Regardless, it's maybe a one day read and if it makes my other books feel like they aren't in greek two thumbs up lol. BTW: This thread was really helpful.

Barleywine

What is the difference between a King and a Slave? The King serves willingly, the Slave does not. The essence of Kingship is service. This is intrinsic to the Path of Initiation. Without this it is all too easy to fall into simplistic interpretations based on polarized Old Aeon social models of master-kings ruling over dominated slaves.

If you have the time and a tolerance for seemingly-endless minutiae, Frazer's "The Golden Bough" has some fascinating details about the priest-kings of antiquity. In one instance, a runaway slave was permitted to try stealing a branch (the "Golden Bough" of the Aeneas myth) from a tree in the sacred grove. If he succeeded he got to fight the incumbent king, and he took the place of that king if he was victorious. In this way the physical prowess of the reigning king was regularly tested. Crowley refers to this book in a couple of places in the Book of Thoth, so I bought it back in the 1970s but have yet to read the whole thing. Fortunately, it's well-indexed and you can dip into it at any point of interest.

Lilianne

I had heard about this book from a local "mystical" shop. Reading the reviews here and a couple of pages on "look inside" I'm going to give it a go. It seems, in a way, chatty, so perhaps it will make lighter reading than some books I've read of late. I'm not expecting an encyclopaedic text but if it makes the subject flow better it will have done some good. If it's truly BS-free and avoids the abstruse, great.

Nemia

I bought the Kindle version and read about half of it, but I think that I'll give it back. I find Closrapexa's explanations right here on AT more insightful and written in a much more focused style and tone.

I sensed that an excited young man was writing, and as middle aged lady I was a bit irritated that he had to say a lot of good things about war and glorious destruction, went on long rants about the destructive forces of feminism, and had very little good to say about anything remotely feminine (except for maternal love - but even that might be manipulative or shallow...). The un-reflected use of gender stereotypes may be true to Crowley (have to read the Book of Thoth again) but I found it just as irritating as I find books that see all the virtues on the side of the Eternal Feminine. I dislike gender bashing, the world is too full of it already, in all directions.

As Hebrew speaker, I find consistent use of the plural sephirot even where the singular, sephira, would have been appropriate, quite disturbing. It was more than a typo - I had the feeling as though he was not really familiar with the word. Well, maybe I'm too pedantic.

Interesting though was his view on Western spirituality from the outside. And reading the book inspired me to take out all those lists and diagrams I made years ago, before discovering the Internet, with elements, signs, houses and planets.

The book needs strict editing - there are so many tangents that it's sometimes difficult to find the insightful gems. The structure of the book is good, and the explanation of the tree of life, too. I also appreciated the structure and complexity of the Thoth, and how much it resembles the Hebrew language: by analyzing the structure (the word or the card) you can understand why it looks the way it looks. You only have to know the rules.

Henry Ho takes care of the Kabbalah and Astrology, and he hardly mentions the actual image we see. He says so from the outset and I understand and accept that he wants to counterbalance the many "intuitive" readers who overlook the underlying structure of the deck and simply follow the images. I myself need both, and I would have appreciated a combination of both parts - the way Banzhaf tries. But this is not what Ho set out to do and I can't blame him it, I understand his reasoning.

But when you take your cards and connect the four different trees, where מלכות of the fire tree (10 of wands) transmutes into the כתר of the water tree (Ace of cups), you can SEE in the image how Frieda Harris connected them. They really flow into each other visually. That was a nice discovery, and the fact that I trimmed my deck really helped me connecting them in a chain.

Nevertheless, I guess I'll wait for Closrapexa's ebook about Thoth.

Nemia

Oh, well... just an idea... :)

Zephyros

Oh, well... just an idea... :)

Thanks, but to write a book about the Thoth you not only need to know the "what" but also the "why," and that, in my opinion, can only come from someone with years of training in one of the associated orders. Everyone should know their limits, but thanks kindly for the compliments. :)

Laura Borealis

I bought the Kindle version and read about half of it, but I think that I'll give it back. I find Closrapexa's explanations right here on AT more insightful and written in a much more focused style and tone.

I sensed that an excited young man was writing, and as middle aged lady I was a bit irritated that he had to say a lot of good things about war and glorious destruction, went on long rants about the destructive forces of feminism, and had very little good to say about anything remotely feminine (except for maternal love - but even that might be manipulative or shallow...). The un-reflected use of gender stereotypes may be true to Crowley (have to read the Book of Thoth again) but I found it just as irritating as I find books that see all the virtues on the side of the Eternal Feminine. I dislike gender bashing, the world is too full of it already, in all directions.

Thank you, that was what I needed to completely de-enable me.