Disappointed: Tarot Card Combinations.

aeonx

emily2otters said:
however, i've been getting a pair of cards repeated in readings lately, in different orders, reversals, etc. and i was kind of wishing i had that book so i could see at least one perspective on that particular combo.

I'll be happy to check out the combinations for you in this book. Maybe I can learn something on the way as well. :)

~aeonx~

catlin

As this books is also on my wishlist for my tarot circle I'd love to know how you judge it on further inspection.

Thanks.

Aerin

This book keeps coming on and off my list. I just can't tell from the reviews if it will add anything. So I second catlin's request for some more details as to who/ who it might not be helpful to. I spend so much anyway I don't want to waste money ...

Aerin

aeonx

OK, folks, I'll give it a go after work, and I'll keep you posted. Hopefully I'll get back to you tomorrow. :)

~aeonx~

Kellinator

Honestly, I'm pretty skeptical about Amazon reviews... virtually every book averages 4 or 5 stars. I prefer more specific sites for reviews, like Aeclectic! :)

Back to the subject at hand. I looked through Tarot Card Combinations this weekend in a bookstore and wasn't impressed. It looked like a very cut-and-dried "this combination means this!" book without a lot of room for interpretation. I think it might appeal to beginners or very by-the-book people more than the average tarot reader. I'm not saying I wouldn't be interested to have another look, but I wouldn't pay full retail for it. Not when there's so much other stuff out there!

Kelly

aeonx

Kellinator said:
Honestly, I'm pretty skeptical about Amazon reviews... virtually every book averages 4 or 5 stars. I prefer more specific sites for reviews, like Aeclectic! :)Kelly

I agree with you on this! I've also gone through a lot of DVD-reviews on Amazon, since I need this at work, and some of the worst training-DVD's I've ever seen, has gotten five stars!! :( Not very impressed by that no. And this book had gotten five stars, and the reviewer said that this was the 'best tarot book she had ever read'!

~aeonx~

Umbrae

1. Do not be afraid to rate it 1 star. Most folks only rate good stuff. (“Best tarot book I’ve ever read”…how many tarot books has the reviewer read?

2. I also have books that so many folks raved about, and when I got them, I thought they sucked. They get 1 star from me.

3. We have such a huge collective knowledge base here at Aeclectic, there is really no reason to buy more poor books, and support lackadaisical writers.

Jewel

Umbrae said:
We have such a huge collective knowledge base here at Aeclectic, there is really no reason to buy more poor books, and support lackadaisical writers.

*ROFLMAO* now that is priceless Umbrae! Perhaps that should be our next Aeclectic project ... to write our own Tarot Book. Think about it, we have Thirteen's Basics, we have experts on historical decks, Qabalah and other, we could do a picking your first deck section and do our own recommended reading list ... plus have a message board for people to come to *LOL*. All we would need is an editor and a publisher, most of the info is already here in the threads! And we could illustrate it with cards from the Aeclectic tarot deck project!

Geenius at Wrok

Umbrae said:
We have such a huge collective knowledge base here at Aeclectic, there is really no reason to buy more poor books, and support lackadaisical writers.
Of course, with our huge collective knowledge base, there's also no reason to buy more poor tarot decks and support mediocre artists.

Doesn't quite work like that, though, does it? :rolleyes:

Enthusiasm is all well and good, but one shouldn't let it dull one's ability to discriminate. Of course, every fan in every hobby occasionally lets his enthusiasm override his standards, and that's OK, as long as you actually have standards to override. :)

Houklani

Well now that I've had a chance to go through it a little more, (it was rainy all day yesterday and I was able to get a lot of reading done :D), the book isn't too bad. At first glance the black and white pictures are really depressing, but it has a lot of good information and tips, though maybe I just think that cause I'm a beginner.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that it's too terrible to buy.

Smiles,
Houklani