Intensive Deck Study Reboot!

rachelcat

Go IDSers!

I won't be able to join you in IDSing this time. (It would be great to be just beginning a new project instead of having to actually WORK to finish an old one, but that's where I am!)

I just wanted to post to show my support:

Good luck, learn, and enjoy!

OctoberGwen

Nina* said:
One thing in order (I'd suggest the book) and take turns choosing cards randomly?

Sounds good. And I would suggest skipping exercises that don't pertain. We can include the Adept steps if they don't involve another person, if you like.

Shall I go first, or would you like to do the honors? :)

Nina*

OctoberGwen said:
Sounds good. And I would suggest skipping exercises that don't pertain. We can include the Adept steps if they don't involve another person, if you like.

Shall I go first, or would you like to do the honors? :)
You go first please. :) I'm starting my week of night shifts tonight (i.e. in about two hours... have this every second week; next week is off then), so I'm a bit ''unstable'' in those weeks as I never know if I'll get free time at work (work as nurse with mentally ill people) and when (if) I'll get some sleep. But I'll keep up, I promise. :)

OctoberGwen

Nina* said:
You go first please. :) I'm starting my week of night shifts tonight (i.e. in about two hours... have this every second week; next week is off then), so I'm a bit ''unstable'' in those weeks as I never know if I'll get free time at work (work as nurse with mentally ill people) and when (if) I'll get some sleep. But I'll keep up, I promise. :)

Kudos to you, Nina, that's got to be a tough profession. Good luck with the crazy schedule.

I'll get us started, then...

stefficus

that's exactly it, zanzibar. it's deep enough that i have often used it as my only reader for weeks on end, but it just works in a very straighforward way for me. there's really not much point in studying that... what, there's a fox on the king of swords? how is the fox used in mythology? um? there are astrological associations on them, but that's a WHOLE other can of worms for this astrologically handicapped gal.

auracana, i like the idea of plain exclusivity but not enough to do it for its own sake - especially not with this one, because i already naturally have done stretches of "this is functionally my only deck" with both this and the haindl, just because they're my preciousssssssses. :laugh:

quite the range, huh? :D

decision to follow after a drive and a few more hours of psyche searching.

zan_chan

So great to see this thread hopping again :)

I realized that I never actually wrote myself any guidelines for the Fantastic Menagerie. For my first IDS, the only guideline I really followed was that I would get to know the deck as well as anyone possible could, and I think I have, and will continue to do so. For this one I want to be as easygoing as possible. I always, IDS or otherwise, do a three-card in the morning for guidance and then in the evening I either look over that same spread for further understanding, or pull another one. So I've been doing that with the FM for about a week now. Going well, so far. Very often, with so many decks, I'll attempt a spread for myself and no matter how hard I try, I can't quite believe it, put it away, and redo it with the Haindl. As reading for myself goes, only the Haindl ever seems to make any sense to me - yet so far, the Fantastic Menagerie is doing alright. I really do quite like this deck I think. Will it replace or even near my Hermann in terms of... in terms of... well, everything? No, of course not. But it will be an excellent whimsical alternative, I think.

I'm really looking forward now to getting to know each image better. At this point, most spreads are a pleasant surprise of new images, or images I had briefly passed over but hadn't really looked at. It's amazing how difficult it can be to just look at something, isn't it? Especially in a deck like this with so many fun little details.

Really must force myself to read the book. I almost always hate tarot books, and this one doesn't seem like much of a rule-breaker so far. We'll see...

I really haven't decided on a time limit yet and I actually may not ever finalize one. It'll be done when it's done! :) (And remember kids, do as I say, not as I do... :laugh: )

stefficus

okay, okay...

i'm declaring my intention to engage in an IDS for the next three months with...

*drumroll*

...the motherpeace deck.

why? well, um, blah blah cultural themes, yadda yadda kick-ass feminine side, something something shamanism.

plus! it's got this fanTAStic sinduction case to live in! i wanna be seen carrying it!

but the truth is, zan was right. it made me do it.

my rules for the IDS are simple: three months with the option to extend, expected 87-90% exclusivity (oracles are fine, especially since kim just sent me the dreamtime oracle which is also round and seems to dovetail nicely even across oceans), and random daily draws weeding out repeats. i have the book and will use it as a jumping-off point, following tangents as they appear and with an eye to the deck as a whole. there will a thread and, more extensively, there will be a journal - i believe it will be yellow.

yes. definitely yellow.

zan_chan

Congrats steff! A wonderful choice and I'm sure we'll all look forward to your journey together :) I'll add you to the list now...

fairybugg

Where is the information.

First, let me say that I am a research junky. I love looking stuff up and learning new information. Part of why I chose The Vision Quest Tarot was because it would require me to research stuff. BUT there is nothing out there.
I have only looked at Google so far and I will branch out in my research but I am feeling a bit frustrated.
The good news is that I am connecting with the cards. I love the artwork and I am drawn in by the colors. I am understanding what I am being told without having to look at the book and when I do look it is strengthing what I am reading intuitively.
Good first steps to this deck.
Next, I will try to track down information about the various animals in the deck. I am a little bothered that the people feel tribeless. They are not identified in anyway as belonging to any tribe or area. Which in some ways is good but also feels like a hole to me. Maybe studing the environment will help???
Onward I go... :)

Flaxen

Oh this is so tempting to do. I enjoyed my time with the Liber T and was set on having a few months with more 'frivolous' decks. However, my Thoth has been calling to me (I've even been dreaming about it!). Can I commit to study...? Will have to have a think...