Well Worn Path sequel: The Hidden Path

6 Haunted Days

similia said:
From one perspective I think the inverse is true. A lot of modern ceremonial magic is actually based on the meanings of numbers, which was further developed and expanded in the context of magic systems. The meanings we use for the numbers comes from many traditions, but I think most clearly from the Greek philosopher's, Pythagorus et al. So 400BC or so maybe.

But why were meanings for numbers first developed.... })

Yea I know, that's why I said numerology didn't come from ceremonial magick. Frankly this thread is turning confusing..

I don´t think, that Golden Dawn was the first ceremonial magic "society". For example the egyptians and the jews (...Kabbalah) uses a style of magic, that I would call ceremonial, because it is more scientifical than based on Nature.

Huh? Yes I never said and I am sure that the GD was not the 1st secret ceremonial society, but again, the 1st known tarot and others that followed were not based on ceremonial magic, Kabbalah, astrology etc. All that stuff was added at a later date. Much later. Regardless tarot as far as any records indicate was started and used as a game.