Japaridze Tarot

Madrigal

I thought it was like the Tarot of the Spirit but that was a bit of an initial, superficial knee-jerk response based on hues and mood because - with use - it is infinitely more intuitive for me. It feels like a deck from a truly creative mind and makes the Tarot of the Spirit look a little formulaic.

I absolutely adore this deck. It feels that bit more ahead of many decks currently published in terms of artwork and vision. Jaded as I am, I never really expect many new decks to really hold my attention beyond a few months in the way that this deck has.

I keep going back to it, and the artwork is so refined and clever and - yes - subconscious, that it really is a powerful reading deck. It has a floatiness, an airiness and anchorlessness that can only really come from the subconscious mind, which is where tarot really should come from (does that sound unhinged?) I know nothing about the artist but I have tremendous admiration for her (and for U.S Games for spotting it).

The only odd thing about it is that when I do draws - daily draws, three card draws - I get an inordinate number of Courts coming up. I have no idea why, but it seems to happen so often that I have almost come to expect it. I don't think I have ever done a spread of more than one card in which I didn't get a Court card.

But it's a great reading deck and I love it's refined, ethereal air. Any questions, fire away but I have nothing but praise for this deck. And I do read with it, not just wallow in its hothouse, art-deck atmosphere.

Merci, le Fanu. I trust my Muse enough to feel that readings from this deck would be rich, atmospheric and full of quirky synchronistic details. However looking again at the cards individually I will say that some of them gave me pause. Would you be willing to pick a card and share extemporaneously your impressions? I'm curious to see whether this kind of trajectory would resonate for me with this deck.

Moonbow

Great deck, very similar in feel too the Karma which I have since re-purchased. Once I went through all the cards taking in every fine detail and building a bridge with each one it became a lovely reading deck. With art decks you really do have to put the legwork in, and it's worth it.

hedface

I'm jumping on the bandwagon in agreement - this deck is vibrant, unique and wonderful. It's only been in my possession for a few days, but it's quickly become one of my favorite decks. The art draws you in and sparks intuition, and the rearrangement of the suits is a simple but refreshing change from the standard RW suits. I've never been drawn to abstract or surreal art, though for some reason this deck speaks volumes to me.
If I had one complaint, it would be that the cards have already taken a significant bent shape in the last few days, and that was only after 5 or so uses. Even that is not so much a complaint as wishful thinking, because I would absolutely buy this deck again to replace the one I have if need be.

The Happy Squirrel

The exhibition will be at Paris' legendary art & auction center, the Hotel Drouot foundation, in their showcase space at 12 rue Drouot in the 9th arrondisement. We will be hanging and setting up the day before (on Oct 29) so there is a chance you could stop by, introduce yourself, and check out the installation in progress.

Hope this is helpful, Gregory!

Wow. I have not read the rest of the threads after this, but Gregory if you did go, I would love to hear all about it!!!

Citrin

I’m so drawn to this deck lately… How is the size? Is it standard US Games?

Le Fanu

I’m so drawn to this deck lately… How is the size? Is it standard US Games?

It's bigger; feels chunkier.

I wrote that and then went to check. It is actually the same width and depth as the PCS Commemorative deck - but maybe a centimetre longer.

Fabulous deck - a quite extraordinary publication. This deck really revived my love of U.S Games. So richly symbolic and dense and unconventional. I think it is perhaps my favourite mainstream publication in a good few years.

Citrin

Thank you, Le Fanu! I ordered it yesterday lol oops... I saw someone on instagram commenting it was "huge" which kind of scared me (small hands!), but could've been a "tarot newbie" not used to tarot size but playing card size ;) I can even shuffle oracles nowadays so shouldn't be a problem...

Really excited about getting this deck! I love how it's so different. :)

jema

I got this one today and it is quite unexpected. It is a lot more surreal than I thought from just looking at a few scans. It reminds me of Tarot of the Spirit paired with Navigators.

I was hesitating between this one and the Fountain tarot and picked this one.
Love the box and book and the way it is actually GOOD and sturdy.

Citrin

I’ve been using the Japaridze now, a lot, for 4-5 weeks and I’m surprised at how much I like it. :) At first glance it seems so different from the RWS, but I must say that it has more similarities than differences if looking at the core meanings/base. Especially the minors are really more RWS than you might think at first…

I love the colors in this deck, they draw me in so much. And I love the court cards, I feel they’re very clear with what they are conveying. The knights are very energetic and I like how they're a bit "all over the place" - at least that's the feeling I get from looking at them. While the queens are very nerveless and warm.

I’ve used this deck both for myself and for clients, and right now it’s my go to deck! It’s not often I even have a go to deck, I mix it up everytime, but right now, yup it’s the Japaridze. :) I love it!

Eusebia

Japaridze "Emperor"

Now I also have the Japaridze Tarot, and I am glad I got it. I love looking at most cards and it fits into my art deck subcollection so well.

But I had not read this thread before buying and was hit hard when seeing card 4. To me it means, among other things, the archaetype/stereotype of the mature, dominant man. Warlords and war are sure part of this but reducing the archaetype to War, in my book this is not only limiting, it is negative and insulting. Even Death doesn't look that negative, if only because we have been trained to interpret it non-literally, and the literal meaning, other than war, it is entirely unavoidable for humans.

I mean no offence to Nino Japaridze as a person, I respect that we all have our personal view on things, but when I see something like this I ask myself if the author of the deck has an agenda, or personal issues, or just doesn't really understand Tarot. I will have to look closely what energy and attitude the rest of the deck brings with it, and I sure will think twice before reading with it. I can live with one odd card in a deck, but I would not want to read with something like, say, the motherpiece tarot.

An other thing I do not really like is the book. Yes, it looks nice, but the text, both in content and volume, does not really extend beyond the average LWB. I would have liked either a real book, or a LWB with the same content as now, coming in a less clunky box and maybe even at a lower price.