7 of Cups as relationship advice

niravcal

When asked for advice on what strategy to follow with respect to an estranged relationship, where the couple are currently having issues and are not together, the 7 of cups popped up. What would the interpretation be? Can it indicate that the querant should create an illusion and possibly try to make the partner feel jealous? Somehow thats what came into my mind when I saw the card. What do you guys think?

Summersweet

Hi niravcal

I'd see the 7 of cups in this position as to clear up any illusions and not be all dreamy about what could happen. See things for what they really are and what they are about, not to let judgements and choices be clouded with emotions and feelings.

and yeah I guess it could be about creating illusions if that came to your mind first of all

Summer x

ana luisa

Perhaps the couple should share their dreams more. Open up and talk about their desires... In a way, they need to get to know each other better.

cherryberry

I am with ana luisa here, had that coming up in a r'ship spread and it meant exactly that, both are daydreaming about the other person, but also about other things and how the r'ship might effect their other areas, or how the other areas affect the r'ship, or, or, or,... in other words, they were constantly jumping between all the potential possibilities they would have for the future, without actually talking to each other about it. So to me it means, focus on oe topic at the time, discuss and figure out whats next.

Cups are 'passive' so thats what it means to me a bit :)

caridwen

niravcal said:
When asked for advice on what strategy to follow with respect to an estranged relationship, where the couple are currently having issues and are not together, the 7 of cups popped up. What would the interpretation be? Can it indicate that the querant should create an illusion and possibly try to make the partner feel jealous? Somehow thats what came into my mind when I saw the card. What do you guys think?

I think you should follow your intuition, although I don't really believe in playing games. I think there are issues here of indecision, fantasy and fear. That's what spring to mind for me when I see the seven in a relationship question.

starrystarrynight

niravcal said:
It may be suggesting that no action is the best action to take right now, as the Seven of Cups often has overtones of questioning what is realistic or not. There are all those cups filled with fancy treasures floating up in the clouds...many choices, but are any of them realistic? So it may be asking the querent to consider if anything has a real chance of succeeding (with the suggestion--to me, at least--that doing the wrong thing might make things worse).

Grizabella

I'd definitely not read it as that they should try to make the other person jealous. That's never a good idea and is doomed to failure in the long run. Relationships that are based on games aren't strong ones.

WalesWoman

Hmmm. Taking a more realistic look at the options and avenues, maybe seeing what each of them want from a relationship and each other, being clear on what motivates them and why. I think it has a lot to do with clarifying expectations.