Cartomancer, upcoming magazine

tarotbear

The article on the Celtic Cross Spread History is fantastic!

"An article with substance."

gregory

The tarosophist magazines are pretty good, whatever many people here think of the organisation. I joined to get the special Thoth one, and it was worth it just for that.

Babalon Jones

The tarosophist magazines are pretty good, whatever many people here think of the organisation. I joined to get the special Thoth one, and it was worth it just for that.

Do you know which issue the special Thoth edition was?
edited to add that I think I found it and it was Vol 1 issue 4 in 2009?
looks good enough that I was tempted to order a print version, but it was 28 dollars! Is it really hardback for a magazine?

IreneCroft

Here's a free sample copy of the Tarosophist magazine from their website.
http://www.tarotassociation.net/free/TarosophistSample.pdf
I think the bar is pretty high.
Maybe I'm too fault-finding, but BanzhOf? Really?! And not just once! While his wife's surname in the same article is written as BanzhAf (the correct version).

As for the upcoming magazine I'll wait for the e-format. And if the volume and quality are sufficient (more book-like) I think the price is adequate for a 4-issue-per-year publication.

TaliTarot

Tarosophist International Magazine

Hello All

Thank you for the kind words about Tarosophist International magazine. We corrected the spelling of Banzhof to the correct Banzhaf, and have replaced that sample magazine with the corrected version - that issue is now 6 years old, so it was interesting to go back to it.

The magazine has often included the widest range of cartomancy and divination, particularly astrology, and is increasingly widening its remit to casting, lots, even a little I-Ching and Runes in future issues. This is in preparation for our DivinaCon event in Las Vegas in 2016.

The Thoth special issue was indeed issue 4, and it is a hardback in print format. It took over a hundred hours to edit or more, we recall, and we did not rest until we had articles by Rachel Pollack, Lon Milo Duquette, Frank K. Jensen, Mary K. Greer, and other leading authors on the Thoth deck and the life of Aleister Crowley.

Again, thank you for mentioning our tarot magazine, it has been published quarterly for over six years now, and our latest issues are using a more advanced layout than those earlier issues, and our covers are being acquired (at cost) from an even wider range of leading artists and photographers.

Tali x

garmonbozia

The tarosophist magazines are pretty good

Does annual membership include getting physical print copies of the magazine mailed to you?

gregory

No - you get them as pdfs, and without much warning (no biggie as they stay up there for download) - unless my membership is borked (it is shaky in one respect, so that's possible - I haven't got the free deck one is supposed to get with annual renewals !)

It was sad about the Thoth one - I had intended to buy it as a back issue at a TarotCon, but they sold out before I got to the deck !

Since Tali has mentioned widening the scope - I have to say that I do regret this. It was a TAROT organization and magazine, and begins to feel a bit like a computer magazine I get which now includes smart phones and android apps and even smart TVs. Which are NOT computers, And casting etc are not tarot.

Moonbow

I'll ask her to drop by and feed our interest.

What I thought of when I saw Journal was the Llewellyn Reader, which I thought was well worth the cost. I read them through 3 or 4 times before I passed them on to Moonbow.
One article in particular resonated so much I think of it here nearly every day.

In part the cost of a publication is how they pay their writers, which can be 3 free issues to $200.00....
It would take me a couple of days to write and then polish something someone would pay for, and I wouldn't do it for free magazines.

Anyway, I'll ask her to stop by

Are there two of us here now? I don't have them, maybe you're getting me confused with another Moon person.

AJ

sorry if I offended, it must have been someone else.

The publisher still hasn't read my facebook message, but did post something elsewhere about the magazine referenced in the subject line.
I think things have gotten confused now between two magazines and this thread should die a quiet death.

Shade

Has anyone given the first issue of The Cartomancer a whirl? At $20 for 4 issues online, I'm inclined to take the plunge.