How do I find the Guardian Card in a Tarot deck?

Valeria

I just read an article on FoxgloveTarot.com that teaches you how to connect better with your tarot cards. One of the things she mentioned was discovering the guardian of the Tarot deck - the one card that is the strongest in the entire deck - and asking it to guide you to connect better with your deck. But she did not mention how to do it.

Do you have any idea how to find the Guardian card?

Alta

This is a new concept to me, but thinking about, perhaps the card in the deck that the creator chose to put on the box or featured on their site if they have one. I suspect that often enough decks start with a single card, one that draws the creator strongly and they really put their heart and soul into. The rest of the cards may also be excellent but this would be the guiding spirit card.

For example, I have thought that the guiding spirit card of the Mary-El was The Emperor.

Another way to look at it would be more personal. When you go through a deck which card(s) really resonate with you. Or try a spread and ask the deck itself.

Attachments

• Mary El Emperor.jpg
    Mary El Emperor.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 357

Valeria

That explanation really resonated with me. I think you might be onto something here. I will try out a spread to confirm. :) Thank you!

lantana

I have definitely noticed this before, but I never had a name for it! I would agree with Alta that the card for the cover art would be a good starting point, though not always.

For example, I definitely see the Guardian card for the Shadowscapes as the Queen of Swords, which is the card on the box. But the Idiosyncradeck's Guardian is definitively Temperance, which isn't the box art but is actually the creator's favorite card in the deck.

Now I'm going to spend all of my weekend finding Guardian cards for all my decks. :p

JoJoCat

Oh wow this was fascinating to read! Gave me lots to ponder. I agree that the card on the box is a good start. I can also see that we might be pulled to another card also.

For example, RWS has the fool on the box or tin and ofc that is just so very fitting!

But my night sun has the chariot and that card doesn't pull me. What made me buy the deck (my first purchase after many years away from tarot!) were Strength (still my favorite card) and Page of Wands (which I think spoke to me returning to tarot after decades away!!). And yes now I too will go examine the boxes and look for the guardian cards! I have two decks that I'm still learning (though they read beautifully for others), as well as one unopened deck and this will be a good way to connect! Thanks~

EmceeDirector

Very interesting concept! This is the first I have heard of this and I too will be looking for the Guides in every one of my decks! I have a deck called Tabula Mundi and I'm not sure what the creator's favorite card is, but for me it would be the Nine of Wands (Strength) because it is the very first time that I was able to see that our strength is seen as a RESULT of dramatic change. I have so many decks and this was the first time that card resonated that meaning. So for me...that would be the strongest card in the deck! At least for me....

Grizabella

I didn't even know there was a guardian card. I think it might be something that only the person who wrote it could explain. As Tarot moves through the centuries, more and more extraneous "stuff" gets added to it and that makes it hard to tell just what that card is supposed to be and how/where it's to be found.

Valeria

I "spoke" to my decks for a long time today. And they showed me the card that sums up their personality. I feel the guardian card is the heart of the deck. But for both my decks, the guardians were not the cards on the cover.

My Tarot Illuminati's guardian is the Queen of Wands. I admire the Queen greatly for she resonates with who I want to be. Makes sense now why this deck is my best friend.

My Shadowscapes tarot's guardian turned out to be the 3 of Cups. Again, this resonates with the personality of the deck.

I am really happy to have finally connected with my Shadowscapes deck. I had her for a long time, but our exchanges never felt strong. Until today.

Thank you all for taking part in this discussion. I learnt a lot through this. :]

AJ

might mean what some use as a signicator. signafire? something like that.
Or the original source might have been using or referring to a tarot deck with a card renamed Guardian. I think most pagan decks have one?

Unless it is self published, I think the publisher picks the box art