Sabian Symbols: Birth Charts

Pipistrelle

My Sabian Oracle arrived on Saturday and I am VERY pleased! The first thing I did was look up my birthday - Sagittarius 5, 6 and 7 - and I am very impressed by both the accuracy of these symbols in describing me (especially An Old Owl Perched High Up in a Tree) and the complexity and subtlety of the symbols. In terms of relating them to a personality, they seem to interweave and work on many layers and shine a light on particular aspects of the personality which I was aware of but hadn't examined as such (e.g. A Game of Cricket). There is also room for exploration in areas which aren't as instantly recognisable (Cupid Knocking at the Door of the Human Heart) - the symbols wouldn't be as much fun if they only told us things we already know!
So already much food for thought and exploration!
My husband's birthday symbols are also equally compelling and perplexing! I intend to look up the symbols for everyone in my family. What I also find interesting is how, instead of the symbols being completely random (which, I admit, I was more or less expecting), you can make connections between sequential symbols and they almost tell stories read in sequence. I should imagine that when you get to know the symbols as well as Lynda does, that you could easily see how the tone of them changes throughout the zodiac and how this relates to our understanding of the signs - but this is far too advance for me right now! I'm just enjoying browsing through them at the moment.
I also did a draw for the coming three days (Mon, Tues, Weds) and got:
An Arctic Explorer Leads a Reindeer Through Icy Canyons (brrr!)
which is wonderful because I have a bit of a thing for Arctic (and Antarctic) explorers! Hopefully I'll get round to writing more about this symbol in the daily draw thread.
Anyway, just wanted to post my thoughts. :)

Pip

Elven

Hi Pip,
I'm so glad your book arrived! :). It looks as if you've already had a good browse through it.

Pipistrelle said:
My husband's birthday symbols are also equally compelling and perplexing! I intend to look up the symbols for everyone in my family. What I also find interesting is how, instead of the symbols being completely random (which, I admit, I was more or less expecting), you can make connections between sequential symbols and they almost tell stories read in sequence. I should imagine that when you get to know the symbols as well as Lynda does, that you could easily see how the tone of them changes throughout the zodiac and how this relates to our understanding of the signs - but this is far too advance for me right now! I'm just enjoying browsing through them at the moment.

LOL I am always trying to pick people brains when it comes to the Astrological associations of the Symbols. There is a great thread by HOLMES which gives some corelations to the Symbols and the Tarot. But I dont understand the Astrological connection to these, maybe you can make head or tails of it.

HOLMES said:
http://www.astrology-books.com/stor...eeanalysis.html

this links many books based on sabian and decantes.

http://www.supertarot.co.uk/ootk/ootk4.htm
decanatges and how the minor arcana is split up into the 36 decanates into 360 degrees of iwsodm.

http://www.taroscopes.com/products/...s-series.html#4
"from the link
In his fourth book in the Taroscopes series, Michael Tsarion reveals the fascinating lost connections between the Tarot’s Minor Arcana, and the Egyptian Zodiac of thirty-six signs. These signs, known as Decanates or Decans, have been habitually ignored by modern exoteric astrologers and Tarot practitioners. However, the Tarot cannot be mastered or utilized correctly without its connection to the zodiac being fully explored and understood. This invaluable book, should not be passed up by those who wish to come into a deeper, personal connection with the Tarot and Zodiac. It will prove to be a revelation and treasured reference for the true Mystery School adepts."

the book qabalistic tarot which was recently reprinted helps one to understand the decanates in the minor arcana as well.

while i can't find any direct link,, nor read any books on sabian symbols.
if the symbols of the sabian symbols are assisgned to the 360 degrees of wisdom in the decantes (which they are)
and the minor arcana of the 2 to 10 of each minor arcana
(and court cards as well in their own way)
are broken astrology wise into the decanates..
(granted it is on the golden dawn system, yet it also forms the basis for the waite and the thoth system of decanates and astrology in the minors as well )

so by looking at the two sources, one will realize that the sabian symbol in one decanate can be assigned to the tarot card assigned to that decanate as well.

know that this is a new system relatively when it comes to the sabian symbols as they were all channelled by a a person who can see symbols and had clairovance sight.

I am going to further explore this, but I need to do some research on Astrology first, so I know what Im looking at.:)

Many Blessings
Elven x

Sophie

I've also been looking up some Sabian Symbols associated with my birth chart. Like Pip, some make sense and others are more mysterious to me - so no doubt someting I still to discover about myself!

The two that made the most sense to me at the moment were:

Pisces 13 (Mercury): A Sword, Used in Many Battles, Is Now In a Museum - which shows the life lesson my mercury (planet of communication, writing, etc.) is teaching me - to go from fighting (the sword) to another way of relating and communicating. This is so relevant to my present life cycle that it sprang straight out.

and Pisces 29 (Saturn): Gemini 4 - Light Breaking Into Many Colours As It Passes Through A Prism. Given saturn is the planet of challenges, this seems to confirm my life-long challenge in overcoming scattered energy and focus! It also shows that I overcome challenges by looking at them from different angles and analysing them (I do).

I also was able to see Sagittarius 12 (the Moon): A Flag Turning Into An Eagle, The Eagle Into A Chanticleer Saluting the Dawn. This spoke to me of my idealism and how much my emotions (the Moon) are tied up with my ideals and giving expression to those ideals, to the point that my spirit soaring will be able to transform into a voice that claims that soaring and tries to wake (like a chanticleer) all I consider to be asleep. It's a quality - and a fault as well, since it means I can sometimes be overpowering, using the strength of my ideals - and the Sword of Pisces 13 - to try and *make* people see things my way (as ooposed to expressing my ideals but letting people make their own minds up).

Scorpio 3 (Mars) was interesting: Neighbours Help In a House-Raising Party In A Small Village. It reminded me of the film Witness, with its Amish barn-raising, the whole community coming together, work together makes for joyful work...Mars is the planet of drive, war, ambition: it could mean that in my life my ambitions are best served when I find cooperation with others, when I work in a team or ask for other people's help to achieve my ambitions. How exactly that will help me achieve my ambition as a writer I don't know, but I feel this is right, other people must be involved - not necessarily in the creative process, but in the "raising".

My ascendent Gemini is on the 4th degree: Holly and Mistletoe Bring Christmas Spirit To A Home - which speaks to me of my festive spirit and my joy in parties and family get-togethers, even of the simplest nature, with small elements of ritual. I also love traditional celebrations (of any tradition, if it captures my imagination!) Holly and Mistletoe reminds me of the ancient Celts, of whom I count a fair number among my ancestors (basically all those that aren't Jewish) - from Gaul, Helvetia, Ireland, England. I think it also shows the balance of male and female in my personality (since the ascendent shows an aspect of the personality); and my youthful, evergreen nature - very appropriate for Gemini!!

The hardest for me to understand was Cancer 24 (Jupiter): A Woman and two Men (Or a Man and Two Women) Cast Away on a Small Island. Jupiter is the planet of expansion and well-being - does my well-being pass by a ménage à trois ;) ? But it also speaks of isolation and being stuck. But with people. So I am not sure how it applies.

Another hard one was Aries 9 (Venus): A Seer Gazes Intently Into A Crystal Ball Before Him. Venus is the planet of love and beauty, feminine and graceful. I can't see the connection in my life. I peer too closely at my love affairs? I need to use more intuition in them? My harmony passes by psychic methods (well, the latter I might be able to fathom).

Still exploring, looking at the outer planets too. I suppose some of these will only be relevant, or ecome apparent at some periods of life - for example for me at the moment, the most important of all of the above is Pisces 13 - A Sword, Used in Many Battles, Is Now In a Museum, because it is pretty much what I am trying to do in my life. Turn my sword into a ploughshare - or use it as a pen (museums are not static, they are places of scholarship).

Pipistrelle

Helvetica, you inspired me to look up all the symbols associated with my birth chart :)
As I have a Saturn return um...returning this year (in a few months) I was particularly interested to see what Sabian symbol my Saturn placement related to...well, take a look ;) It made me laugh anyway!

Sun :
5 Sagittarius
An Old Owl Perched High Up in a Tree

Moon :
6 Libra
A Man Watches His Ideals Taking A Concrete Form Before His Inner Vision

Asc :
9 Taurus
A Christmas Tree is Decorated and Shines in the Darkness

Mercury :
5 Sagittarius
An Old Owl Perched High Up in a Tree

Venus :
20 Libra
A Jewish Rabbi in a Tiny Room Full of Manuscripts and Books, Performing His Duty

Mars :
29 Gemini
The First Mockingbird of Spring Sings From the Treetop

Jupiter :
14 Aries
A Serpent Coiling Near a Man and a Woman

Saturn :
2 Leo
An Epidemic of Mumps

Uranus :
4 Scorpio
A Youth Holding a Lighted Candle in a Devotional Ritual Gains a Sense of the Great ‘Other World’

Neptune :
11 Sagittarius
In the Left Section of an Archaic Temple, A Lamp Burns in a Container Shaped Like a Human Body

Pluto :
11 Libra
A Professor Peering Over His Glasses At His Students

I haven't thought about them in depth at the moment like you have...I will need a refresher on what the planets represent to make sense of them. My first impressions however, is that I really like these symbols. There seems to be a common feel about all of them (except maybe the mumps) - there are multiple references to light, study, quiet reflection, birds and trees. Did you find any common themes running through yours Helvetica? I could just be imagining them.

One thing which is interesting and which I touched on before, is how the symbols work in tandem with other systems - i.e. the signs of the zodiac, but also numerology perhaps...off the top of my head, the symbols in my birth chart seem to relate to my life path of 7 (analysis, understanding). Also, I picked up a book on sale a few weeks ago which is called "The Secret Language of Birthdays". It's a mixture of astrology, numerology, tarot, psychology, etc. that gives a profile for each day of the year (it's a lot of fun actually). My birthday, November 28th, is called The Day of the Lone Wolf - not so far off from An Old Owl Perched High Up in a Tree. Again, this may just be me making connections where there are none.

Anyway, just rambling now. :)

Lynda

trying to make sense of placements and quoting!

Hi Helvetica

Helvetica said:
I've also been looking up some Sabian Symbols associated with my birth chart. Like Pip, some make sense and others are more mysterious to me - so no doubt someting I still to discover about myself!

The hardest for me to understand was Cancer 24 (Jupiter): A Woman and two Men (Or a Man and Two Women) Cast Away on a Small Island. Jupiter is the planet of expansion and well-being - does my well-being pass by a ménage à trois ;) ? But it also speaks of isolation and being stuck. But with people. So I am not sure how it applies.

This *could* show your latent ability to get along with people, even in very tight situations. It could show issues to do with relationship triangles - but, as it's your Jupiter, you may have very strong feelings about fidelity, commitment and boundaries around who you are attracted to. It doesn't have to show isolation necessarily, that's what it can be to some people (being a 'symbol' there are many takes on what it can mean within its own frame of reference).

Helvetica said:
Another hard one was Aries 9 (Venus): A Seer Gazes Intently Into A Crystal Ball Before Him. Venus is the planet of love and beauty, feminine and graceful. I can't see the connection in my life. I peer too closely at my love affairs? I need to use more intuition in them? My harmony passes by psychic methods (well, the latter I might be able to fathom).

I think this probably shows your ability to 'read' people, their abilities, the issues of life, to be able to see 'inside' - I can see it in you all the way from Sydney - Australia! - :)

People with this degree (particularly on a planet like Venus) exhibit great care in their lives - thoughtful and full of thought. It may be saying, on the cautionary side, not to look too closely at things outside your relationship issues as this could take you away from true relationship... something like that.

Hope this helps
Greetings from the Blue Mountains
Lynda

Sophie

Ah, Lynda - back in the Blue Mountains from the Land of Apples :)

Thank you for your thoughts on those two symbols in my chart. Yes, it rings a bell - I'll let it your words sink in. I actually have got on with people in tight situations - in such situations I tend to be the peacemaker and go-between in case when the others have trouble with each other.

As for Aries 9 - I tend to be overly picky and cautious in my love relationships, so your caution is wise...

Sophie
from the Valley of Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, in the Alps

Lynda

Pip[/QUOTE]
Anyway, I feel I may have distracted us from the matter at hand, so I have another question. Has anyone used the symbols in any way other than as an oracle and, if so, how? I long to do something else with them!
Pip[/QUOTE]

Hi Pip
Using the Symbols as an Oracle is a relatively new idea - they are naturally oracular, but the most obvious use for them is to look up your planets in your chart. One can read the Sabian Symbol for your Sun, Moon, Mercury, etc, or your ascendant, progressed Sun, whatever.... they have multiple applications in astrology.

Having used them for so long now, I can't look at an astrology chart without referring to the Symbols. IMHO, doing charts without the Symbols is dry and a bit lifeless. Telling me that a person has the Moon in Cancer only says a limited amount about the person, but telling me that they have the Moon in Cancer at a certain degree gives the whole thing much more meaning - bucket loads!

So, astrology is another use. Have you visited my website? (details in my profile). There's some stuff up on there in articles, etc. I am in the process of rewriting the website entirely, so it will be better, but for now there is some good information up on it. You don't have to be an astrologer even to use the Symbols in your astrology. All you need do is get your chart cast and look up the Symbols. It's aweinspiring what you can learn.

If you want to post your birth details - time, date and place of birth, I will take a look at it and tell you what Symbols to read, if you want. Even if you don't know what time you were born, there is still a vast amount of information you can gather.

Hope this is a little enlightening!
Lynda

Pipistrelle

Lynda said:
Using the Symbols as an Oracle is a relatively new idea - they are naturally oracular, but the most obvious use for them is to look up your planets in your chart. One can read the Sabian Symbol for your Sun, Moon, Mercury, etc, or your ascendant, progressed Sun, whatever.... they have multiple applications in astrology.
Hi Lynda, thanks for replying. I am very keen to look at my chart using the sabian symbols.

Lynda said:
If you want to post your birth details - time, date and place of birth, I will take a look at it and tell you what Symbols to read, if you want. Even if you don't know what time you were born, there is still a vast amount of information you can gather.
Through the magic of Zorya's thread-weaving, you can see I actually posted my chart details earlier and they are now higher up in this very thread - however, I now think I've probably got them wrong. There's something to do with adding 1 to the astrological degree to get the symbol right? Anyway, the degrees I posted above are the degrees that are on my chart - it would be great if you could confirm whether I've got the correct symbols or not...I suspect they're wrong, but I'll be quite sad to part with "An Epidemic of Mumps".

Many thanks,

Pip

P.S. I have read many of the articles on your website with interest...the one about Hitler is especially intriguing :)

Pipistrelle

Doh!

Okay...I reread the "Notes for astrologers" section in Lynda's book and I'm pretty sure now that the symbols I quoted above are for my birthchart are wrong.

Just to clarify - if my moon, for example, is at 6 Libra, then my symbol for that planet is 7 Libra: A Woman Feeding Chickens and Protecting Them From the Hawks....?

The downside to this of course, is that I now have to change my signature. :(
Pity. I felt quite a connection with that old owl.

My next question then, for anyone who can answer it, is now that I have the symbols for my birth chart how do I interpret them? Very generally speaking (and quoting heavily from a website here), would I say:

Sabian symbol for my sun degree: this relates to my ego, soul, self, creativity?

ASC: public "face", mannerisms, appearance? (Bit confused about the different between sun and ascendant "qualities" here!)

For my moon degree: emotions, moods, receptivity, capacity for nurturing?

Mercury: intelligence, communication, capacity for learning?

Venus: aesthetic tastes, need for beauty and harmony, social interaction?

Mars: assertiveness, physical energy?

Jupiter: er...ethics, philosophy, learning, growth?

Saturn: how I handle responsibility, limitations, inhibitions, structures?

Uranus: originality, freedom, change, inspiration, eccentricity?

Neptune: imagination, artistic and psychic ability? not sure I've got this right...

Pluto: nope, completely confused here....help!? The website talks about death and rebirth and power and subtle influences...

And then I just look at the symbol for that planet in my birth chart and try and work out how they relate? The way I've written it here seems a bit vague but I'll give it a go. If anyone has any advice on how to go about this, I'll be very glad to hear it! Otherwise, I'm just going to plod on and see if I can make any connections...

Can I just say as well, how much I love using the symbols! :)

Back later,

Pip

Sophie

I'm in the same case as Pipistrelle - I got the wrong symbols for my birthchart because I didn't take the "next up". I'll have another look. Interesting that Lynda writes that the ones before (ie. those I had taken as my birth symbols) can be seen as karmic issues to be let go of. This is beginning to make sense.