Jodo-Camoin or CBD: Which do you prefer?

Philalethes

As a long-time student of the occult tarot, I found Jodorowsky's approach to interpretation refreshing and believe his book to be one of the finest contemporary tarot manuals in general. Despite his rather iconoclastic approach to reading and interpretation, which eschews occult superimpositions in favor of extracting meaning from the images themselves, his Tarot deck does exactly the opposite. By inserting symbols from various decks, he aimed to create something of a restored and "composite" Marseilles deck. As such, I prefer more traditional cards such as the Conver facsimile and redrawn Noblet. I don't have a CBD, but believe that the author attempted to preserve unaltered designs.

Michellehihi

I dislike both of them; I had them and gave them away. I found them so artificial, obviously they are because they are made by computer. I prefer so much my beautiful Madenie reproduction. Yves, your work is exquisite.

Richard

Yves' Pierre Madenié 1709 is my favorite deck, but I don't use it much because it may be difficult to replace if damaged. I am looking forward to the Houdouin deck and Yves' Conver restoration.

Freddie

Grimaud Marseille will serve anyone well.

Freddie

Freddie

They are all good decks and it just a matter of which one you find most attractive. Jodo seems like a very nice guy and I like his book. Jodo has some slightly outlandish takes on the cards and in his You Tube readings he really uses those meanings. I have never seen him use minor arcana in any of his videos, why I don't know.

Freddie

Spectre Made Flesh

Grimaud Marseille will serve anyone well.

Yes, Dr. Terror, I've seen you using the Grimaud Marseille in your film! ;-)

BTW, I don't think anyone's mentioned Kris Hadar's 'Veritable' Marseille yet. I like the look of it from the scans I've seen - somewhat darker and more subdued than the bright colouring that modern Marseilles sometimes have. It seems that Hadar and Jodo-Camoin are kind of rivals regarding their vision of the 'true Marseille'?

DeToX

Yes, Dr. Terror, I've seen you using the Grimaud Marseille in your film! ;-)

BTW, I don't think anyone's mentioned Kris Hadar's 'Veritable' Marseille yet. I like the look of it from the scans I've seen - somewhat darker and more subdued than the bright colouring that modern Marseilles sometimes have. It seems that Hadar and Jodo-Camoin are kind of rivals regarding their vision of the 'true Marseille'?

Hadar's deck is ok, it's like the Grimaud deck with tdm type 1 modifications to many of the cards. It was the first TdM I bought, but I sold it in the end, it felt too contrived. I now instead kept my Marteau 'facsimile' deck as it is closer to the original type 2 deck it was based on.