Professional Tarot Certification?

Dwaas

Quote by ribbitcat

Also, you have to bear in mind that most of the vocal Aeclecticians are anti-certification and would also burn tarot books, relying on mere intuition and disregarding the creators'/artists' stated opinions on their decks .... ;-)

I made a dumb monkey joke about what to do with a certificate. But I am not anti-certification. If you want to spend some money on that and you believe you will gain easier access to the cards and feel more comfortable with yourself en querents, why would I be against that? Au contraire, go ahead, how the TABI is described seems fun to me with all the meetings and that. But speaking for myself I see no use in spending my few money on learning something I have other sources for. The diploma itself means nothing to me, I can only imagine that it is fun to do and for something to learn. I love AT, my books, my friends, my family and anything and anyone else who helped me on my path of tarot. There is no certificate to value that experience.

AND I would never burn books! Sometimes I do rely on intuition reading the cards, sometimes I rely on meanings from books, sometimes I rely on meanings I found myself, most of the time while reading it is a mixture. Never had I the feeling that I purposely disregarded the creators'/artists' stated opinions on their decks, even when I choose many times another meaning than described in their accompaniying books. And in almost ALL books I have the reader is encouraged to think of other meanings and ways of reading. For example I read this in 78 degrees, the Fey book, the Prague book, the books by Bahnzaf etc. So how could I disregard them if they encourage me to read in the way that I like and the way that works for me?

Blessings

gregory

Lillie has a brilliant sense of humour, and is never condescending or patronising - except occasionally following plain silly posts about the Thoth, which considering her knowledge of it, she is entitled to be. :D

I would never burn a book either, but nor would I pay just for certification (if I even read enough to make it worth it.) I would take a good course, even one I had to pay for - but you can learn so much here anyway that so far I haven't felt the need.

Tabi is not the be-all and end all. Nothing/nowhere is !

But frogs do well, in buckets, Princesss Lillie - you get right in there.... Have a nice swim. Ignore your critics - you are one of my favourite people here.

So hit me, frog-detractors ! :bugeyed:

Dean

U.k

Hey Leave Lillie alone,

she's one cool chick :thumbsup:
so she spoke her mind about not being certified, Lillie has said she's already certifiable and meant that with good humour.:D:D:D

Lillie

Gregory and Dean. Thank you.
Your words are much appreciated.

I love you both.

Other than that, I'll just pop my head over the edge of my bucket and say that

"I am sure Tabi is a great place, full of great people.
I am sure that their program of learning has helped many people learn tarot and practice and perfect their skills.
I am sure that the charges that Tabi have are totally just and cover the expenditure of their courses."

Was so that you didn't think I was having a go at Tabi, so that no one thought that I was implying that I had something against Tabi or they shouldn't be doing what they are doing or they souldn't charge for what they do.
I have read it a couple of times, and it keeps sounding just like three statements, made by someone who don't know much about Tabi, and does not want to be thought to be slagging them off.
If you want it to be either condecending, or patronising, I suppose it can be read in a variety of 'voices' for a variety of effects.

Well, I'm glad I got it right about the ;-).
I'll go and draw some offensive cartoons and put that in the corner. That should make it OK, then.

You want to make unfair and untrue generalisations to wind people up, and see who takes the bait, don't be surprised when someone does.

And if you don't want to talk about subjects that have been trashed to death, don't bring them up.

You called 'most' of the people here on AT book burners who do not read tarot cards properly.
I don't know if that 'most' included me or not, but it included 'most' of the people here.
And I don't care if you put a smiley, winky thing after your statement, I don't care that you said it to see if anyone would rise to the bait, and were being 'mischevious'.
I still don't think it is true, and if I was included in the 'most' or the 'vocal' categories, then I'm offended.
If I'm offended, I'll respond.

I don't burn books.
It's a gross thing to do, and a gross thing to suggest.
Not just because it's a waste of a good book, but because the phrase 'book burners' implies so much more than just someone who burns a book.

You want to call me a nazi? Say it out loud.

Fulgour

hands across the water!

ribbitcat said:
Dearest Fulgour :) Why should you have for free what the rest of us have to pay for ?? You can come be a TABI boy, and join in the frolics that we at TABI have ..and our real life social events, the many Yahoo lists we run, the internet chats we hold, the workshops and conferences we organize, the heavy discounts on decks and other "New Age" items, offer readings through the free reading service to get practice...etcetc you get the idea, surely I have no need to continue with my paean ;-) Come and play with *this* TABI-cat LOL ribbitcat
It could be as simply as an Honourary Endorsement by TABI.
I have read for people all over the world completely for free,
and I wasn't after and didn't get Certified either... in fact it
happened that as 'Senior Reader' my status was Uncertified
and I politely got that changed, from "Fulgour Uncertied" to
Fulgour Prentice. This could be like hands across the water!

ribbitcat

Lovely Fulgour :)

You can simply be a Member of TABI, you don't have to be Endorsed by them :)

Please PM me your email addy - and you too, Helvetica - as I've got permission to let you both have a month's free trial/sample ....anyone else who's interested in this one-off offer, please also feel free to PM me :) And that includes Lillie and her Gang of Protectors ......

ribbit

jmd

The thread that has recently been pushed back up to lively discussion is specifically dealing with problems regarding certification in general and how the TCBA specifically addresses the issue (apallingly in my personal opinion, as well as also encouraging what ought to be discouraged).

The issue of TABI and its 'endorsement' (giving a similar air of superiority to its 'endorsed' members to those who neither seek nor wish to foster such) is also addressed more directly in an older thread titled 'UK article link' - with I think as many posts by ribbitcat

Though there are some important characteristic differences between certification and endorsement, there is also an essentially similar qualitative similarity that I personally consider insiduous to the healthy development of Tarot reading in a healthy society.

The discussions in the thread I link to stop in October 2004. There is one comment, however, that I make in there that I (perhaps mistakenly) believe has not been picked up by TABI:

"I also wonder whether the TGA, TABI, CTN, ATA, and WTN are each willing to unequivocally state that
'Accredited or endorsed readers are not necessarily any better then non-accredited or endorsed readers in terms of their capability to read, their ethical conduct, or their knowledge of and about Tarot or Tarot readings.'​
For that, of course, is one of the fundamental point which has been somewhat avoided."​

gregory

Lillie said:
Oh, except that I don't have a gang of protectors.
It was very nice of Gregory and Deanres to confirm that I really did have a sense of humour. But it's not like I am going to send them out places putting concrete wellies on anyone who disagrees with me.
Oh go on, ask. (as long as I can do it to my managers as well...) Dean - you up for it ???

The Froggie Rocks })

(- and to be serious - I found the bookburning remark deeply offensive as well.)

Netzach

Queeny if you're looking for a course, there's one that's run in Royston (Hertfordshire) that you might want to investigate. I'm not sure of the name of the organisation but you can get all the details from the Royston Cave Arts & Bookshop (Tel: 01763 246367). A friend of mine - a very experienced intuitive numerologist - took their numerology course recently and she says it blew her socks off. It was numerology taken to a completely different level. Whether their tarot course is as good, I don't know.

As far as certification is concerned, I've found this thread very interesting and useful. I had been thinking of getting (tarot) certified. In the first instance, I thought about TABI endorsement. So, to get an idea of the standard required, I requested a free TABI reading. What I received was ungrammatical, the spelling was bad, it didn't answer my question and, in places, it sounded like a horoscope from the Sunday paper. Being used to the standard of reading one gets in the AT circles and exchange which, on the whole, are very good indeed, I was not impressed. So I didn't pursue TABI endorsement. Instead I looked at the European certification board. Their website left off a lot of information that I considered necessary, so I emailed. That was about two weeks ago. I've not received a reply.

And now I've come across this thread - and the previous thread to which a link was provided - and I've decided who needs certification anyway? Thanks folks for helping me make up my mind!

doreen

Whats it all about?

Hi,
I have been teaching tarot for 9yrs. Usually when the students are interpreting the cards they come up with interpretations which are amazing.
As well as learning thr traditional interpretations as found in all tarot books you will learn to use your psychic ability and intuition, I have found 5 students doing a seperate reading for a querant, all of the readings were different but very significant to the querant.
How can you certify someones psychic ability, I do noy feel I have the right to tell my students that their interpretations or instincts are incorrect and stick to the book, no way! wouldn't all readings be extremely boring.

Doreen.