9 of Wands coming up a lot?

FadeToWhite

I've noticed that the Nine of Wands comes up a LOT in my readings for myself - this has been happening for a few weeks now. The first few times, I thought nothing of it. "Just a coincidence," I said. The next few times, I thought there was something wrong with the physical card itself that was making it turn up on top more often. Checked it all over. Nope. Nothing. When it kept happening, I switched to a different deck, and the same card still kept coming up! It has now happened so many times that when I'm flipping through my deck for review, I see it and think "Oh, there's my card."

I'm new to Tarot, so I only have a very vague idea of what the Nine of Wands means - "soldiering on through hard times/preparing for something difficult" is the way I would sum up my understanding of the card. But like I said, I'm very new at this, so that's probably wrong.

I know it's hard to interpret a card without some context, so here's some of what's going on in my life right now: semester finals, romantic relationship possibly turning sour, quitting cigarettes. Those are the only things I can think of that relate to my understanding of the Nine of Wands.

What can I do to figure out this phenomenon? Pathworking? Meditation? Doing a spread about or around the Nine (is it even possible to do that?)? Should I ask the Tarot "Why does this card keep coming up for me?"

Any thoughts are welcome.

-FadeToWhite

Grizabella

A common way I interpret the 9 of Wands is as being defensive. The RWS image shows a guy who's been through a battle and is standing with his Wands all in a row, his head bandaged, holding onto one of the Wands in case he needs to use them again at short notice. I'd read it that you're feeling tense and on alert for anything else that could go wrong. Quitting smoking alone was enough to tense me up and you've got even more going on. :)

Take that card out of the deck, shuffle well, and then do a reading asking, "What message does this card have for me."

starrystarrynight

Sometimes, too, the Nine of Wands (as a state of mind) has the sitter anticipating problems--because he has been injured or has experienced hardships before (evidenced by the bandages he already wears.) But when and if problems do come up, the Nine says he has what it takes to face and get through them because he's dealt with the same types of troubles before.

FadeToWhite

starrystarrynight said:
But when and if problems do come up, the Nine says he has what it takes to face and get through them because he's dealt with the same types of troubles before.

This REALLY makes sense for me, because I have quit smoking before and I know I have what it takes - but I'm scared. I've been trying these past few weeks, and I slip and slide back and forth...I think the Nine is trying to give me a reminder of "Hey! You've done this before - you can do it again!"

And Grizabella, I will definitely take your suggestion into consideration :)

Uma

FadeToWhite said:
I know it's hard to interpret a card without some context, so here's some of what's going on in my life right now: semester finals, romantic relationship possibly turning sour, quitting cigarettes. Those are the only things I can think of that relate to my understanding of the Nine of Wands.

What can I do to figure out this phenomenon? Pathworking? Meditation? Doing a spread about or around the Nine (is it even possible to do that?)? Should I ask the Tarot "Why does this card keep coming up for me?"

-FadeToWhite

Hi FadeToWhite,
I'm working on understanding the deck that I created from the point of view of RWS. My contention is that my cards take a more uplifting point of view (including reversals) than the RWS and also go deeper into the meaning, on many levels from the most superficial to soul purpose and higher purpose.

So when I look at 9 of wands in my deck it's called "Sweeten The Workload" (personal blog link removed) There's a lot to read in the link because each card is a kind of synopsis for a greater teaching (in fact there's enough to write a book on each card). I'm curious whether anything on it resonnates with you.

I usually get this card myself when I'm complaining about how hard my life is or feeling like the world is out to get me... The teaching is to see work in a different way, as a calling. (The older version of this card was called "Vocation".) The attitude we need to take is to see it in a positive light, trusting that everything is as it should be and all resources are there although we are seeing them (whether they are things, situations or people) as obstacles. In reality they are exactly what we need. How does this figure in your situation?

From the deepest level (and my cards are designed to invite you into a "higher purpose" message) you can look at the work or task before you as something you are doing to in service to the Divine (however you want to define that). When we work in this way, nothing is work. The Sanskrit word is "seva" which means "selfless service" and is part of karma yoga, or the way of selfless service, which is meditation in activity.

Wands in my deck is also about a transformational stage in soul evolution, one that leads to the final leg of the journey which is represented by the major arcana. The numbers ace to 7 form the first part, the numbers 8 to King the retrospective part. So 9 relates to 6 of wands in my deck. There's all kinds of ways we can play with these meanings... There are no hard and fast rules though. I always say let your own intuition take the lead and go with it!

Enjoy!
Uma

FadeToWhite

Uma said:
I usually get this card myself when I'm complaining about how hard my life is or feeling like the world is out to get me... The teaching is to see work in a different way, as a calling. (The older version of this card was called "Vocation".) The attitude we need to take is to see it in a positive light, trusting that everything is as it should be and all resources are there although we are seeing them (whether they are things, situations or people) as obstacles. In reality they are exactly what we need. How does this figure in your situation?

I think that the struggle I'm going through (quitting cigarettes) is something I've been viewing as a burden, a task I don't want, a process in my life I'd rather sit out on. I'd like to just sit by and keep smoking, or take the "easy way out" (if only there WAS an easy way out!). But with your insight, I see that maybe this is a trial I NEED to go through, and one that I don't have to hate. Having read your page about that card (and by the way, the card is BEAUTIFUL!), I see that maybe I need to see this trial as something that will strengthen me - certainly something to be welcomed on my soul journey! :) Thanks!!

willowfox

"Soldiering on" is right especially in your situation, exams you just got to do them, and smoking has probably done some damage to your lungs, so quit now, give your body a chance to repair itself. The relationship, don't worry about it, these things happen and anyway a new someone will come along soon enough.

9 wands = willpower

WalesWoman

FadeToWhite said:
I've noticed that the Nine of Wands comes up a LOT in my readings for myself - this has been happening for a few weeks now. The first few times, I thought nothing of it. "Just a coincidence," I said. The next few times, I thought there was something wrong with the physical card itself that was making it turn up on top more often. Checked it all over. Nope. Nothing. When it kept happening, I switched to a different deck, and the same card still kept coming up! It has now happened so many times that when I'm flipping through my deck for review, I see it and think "Oh, there's my card."

I'm new to Tarot, so I only have a very vague idea of what the Nine of Wands means - "soldiering on through hard times/preparing for something difficult" is the way I would sum up my understanding of the card. But like I said, I'm very new at this, so that's probably wrong.

-FadeToWhite
Just one or two items from your list sounds like total 9 Wands, the combination of all of them is enough to make you feel about done in. I like to think of 9 Wands as the " I Will get through this, no matter what" card or like that one ad they used to have for Timex watches... "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking"... it's rough, but you can handle it.

So perhaps this is what it's about, a message of hope and fortitude, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger for it... Hang In There, Baby!

dma88

9 of wands is a "hang in there" card, but it also means that you don't have to overburden yourself. you've come a long way and it's been a lot of hard work, you're ok, but not great, if you overextend yourself much more, you'll start pulling the 10 of wands. so relax, take a break (if possible), let the chips fall where they may.

FadeToWhite

dma88 said:
9 of wands is a "hang in there" card...

That's a meaning I hadn't considered. Good insight :) See, I'm learning a lot about the 9 of Wands just from going through this experience! Maybe I'll learn more about other cards by going through this same process - I'm sure the Tarot will give me a "heads-up" like this the next time I'm going through something important.