??? reading for $$$

Zephyros

I think she was lacking, not in her reading skills perhaps, but in imagination and customer service. When you go to a doctor you expect them to tell you what's wrong with you and how to treat it, not that you manage the entire appointment yourself. No can be just as good an answer as Yes, but she should have tailored the reading to your needs, not the other way `round.

gregory

In my experience the cards ALWAYS offer suggestions of how to proceed, what to adjust or even change in order to move forward.
I wonder, why/ how your reader could not see these.

I think she was lacking, not in her reading skills perhaps, but in imagination and customer service. When you go to a doctor you expect them to tell you what's wrong with you and how to treat it, not that you manage the entire appointment yourself. No can be just as good an answer as Yes, but she should have tailored the reading to your needs, not the other way `round.
Yes to both these. BUT - you did ask "is it worth pursuing." Yes / no questions are always rather iffy, IMHO - you did effectively limit her. And - maybe your line of enquiry (you asked about more courses, I gather ?) actually is the wrong one for you just now.

As tarotbear said -
You might have asked the Tarot to give you some alternatives worth pursuing, rather than asking 'Is this the right one?''Is this the right one?' It would have been interesting to see what cards might have come up.
It sounds as if you gave her direct questions every time (correct me if I'm wrong.) If you had said (and in fact IMHO SHE should have asked, as things started to get desperate :D) "What direction would be worth looking at ?" you might have got an answer that would have helped you more.

AJ

After reading through the responses I realize it has never crossed my mind to leave the querent smiling or hopeful or whatever.

Bending what I see in the cards to suit the response the querent is looking for seems just what is so often railed against here, The Big Con.

Have we no faith in the honesty inherent in the cards?
No is an answer, same as yes.

What I do like to do is talk over the query...before reading.

punchinella

so, Punchinella - why didn't you just ask someone here to read for you? :)
Well, I thought about an exchange but at the time didn't feel grounded enough to fulfill my end of the bargain. I have arranged one for later in the week though (you know who you are :heart: )

Thanks everyone for your responses. As I expected, there are some differences of opinion, I think because this is such an odd thing to have happen. SunChariot, I remember going over something like this some time back and arguing on the opposite side of it, that too much optimism is oppressive or some rubbish to that effect . . . I guess I needed to feel the wrong end of a non-optimistic reader to understand the point you were making! But I do understand, as well, the importance of telling the truth, and I think the reader was trying to do that. Which is where the philosophical questions come in.
gregory said:
Yes to both these. BUT - you did ask "is it worth pursuing." Yes / no questions are always rather iffy, IMHO - you did effectively limit her. And - maybe your line of enquiry (you asked about more courses, I gather ?) actually is the wrong one for you just now.

It sounds as if you gave her direct questions every time (correct me if I'm wrong.) If you had said (and in fact IMHO SHE should have asked, as things started to get desperate ) "What direction would be worth looking at ?" you might have got an answer that would have helped you more.
By courses, I meant courses of action in a broad sense, not classes. And, I did try to broaden the question after the first couple of "no" responses: I asked her what I should pursue. Come to think of it, she did come up with a couple of suggestions, or we came up with them together, but when she checked these against her rows of cards, there were always problems and barriers and the answer to the question of whether or not this was worth pursuing consistently boiled down to "no."
Grizabella said:
We don't always get answers for our sitters. It's my firm belief that the way it works is that we're sometimes not meant to be the one who delivers this or that message to a particular sitter and in that case, we just won't be able to. Perhaps the Universe wants the person to find their own way or perhaps someone else is the one who is supposed to give the guidance rather than us.
Okay now this is very insightful and seems to hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't have thought of it this way because I don't have the experience . . . but wow, this may be exactly what happened. She was not supposed to be able to help me :lightbulb
Le Fanu said:
It's odd, I mean in all this quickfire of laying down cards, why couldn't she just lay down three cards; (1) the issue, (2) what you should do, (3) what you shouldn't do.

Surely something would have come to the surface with this approach?
Well, yes, and I think the strangeness of her technique contributed more than a little to my bamboozled feeling.

Hmmn, food for thought. Thanks again for all your responses.