Sabian Symbols Study Group: Taurus Degree 17 - #47

Elven

:) Welcome to the Sabian Symbol Oracle Study thread!

Please feel free to discuss the Sabian Symbol in this thread, and to ask questions or, explore any aspect of the many interpretions the Symbol holds. Please add your own observations and interpretations too!! The Symbol used in this heading is by Lynda Hill www.sabiansymbols.com

Sun Sign: TAURUS
Degree: 17
Number: 47

Symbol: A SYMBOLICAL BATTLE BETWEEN 'SWORDS' THE DISCIPLES OF MIGHT, AND 'TORCHES', THE DISCIPLES OF ENLIGHTMENT.

tink27

Swords and Torches

Holy Elven! You've been working overtime here!

Something I didn't think of before - that in Taurus we enter into the world of the body, the senses, substance and value. Through our body senses, we can experience pleasure, groundedness and physical connection to the world around us. I think knowing a little of the energy of the sign definitely helps to also understand the Sabian symbol.

I'm just picking and choosing here the one's that are talking to me right now.

In this case could the 'swords and torches' possibly symbolize the war within us between our search for abunance and material security versus our greed and over indulgence? On a more ethereal level, they may also represent our quest for self-worth and high values verus our Shadow fear that we are undeserving or that higher values are but an illusion.

It certainly does seem to mean that at one point we will struggle with our ideal at one end of the pole and our hidden fears at the other. The stability of this Taurean energy teaches us to ground ourselves and face whatever comes to us in a simple and straightforward way.

tink

Elven

The Karmic Symbol for Taurus 17 is:

TAURUS 16 ~ AN OLD MAN IS ATTEMPTING, WITH A DEGREE OF SUCCESS UNSUSPECTED BY HIM, TO REVEAL THE MYSTERIES OF A MOTLEY GROUP.

The Quest Symbol for Taurus 17 is:

TAURUS 18 ~ A WOMAN AIRING AN OLD BAG THROUGH A SUNNY WINDOW TO GIVE IT AIR AND SUNSHINE.

The Opposite Symbol for Taurus 17 is:

SCORPIO 17 ~ A WOMAN, FILLED WITH HR OWN SPIRIT, IS THE FATHER OF HER OWN CHILD.

The 3 symbol in Tension with Taurus 17 are:

LEO 17 ~ VOLUNTEER CHURCH CHOIR MAKES SOCIAL EVENT OF REHERSAL.

SCORPIO 17 ~ A WOMAN, FILLED WITH HR OWN SPIRIT, IS THE FATHER OF HER OWN CHILD.

AQUARIUS 17 ~ A WATCHDOG STANDING GUARD, PROTECTING HIS MASTER AND HIS POSSESSIONS.

Symbols of the 5 Pointed Star (72 degree apart) from Taurus 17 are:

CANCER 29 ~ A GREEK MUSE WEIGHING NEW BORN TWINS IN GOLDEN SCALES.

LIBRA 11 ~ A PROFESSOR PEERING OVER HIS GLASSES AT HIS STUDENTS.

SAGITTARIUS 23 ~ A GROUP OF IMMIGRANTS FULFILLING THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTERING A NEW COUNTRY.

PISCES 5 ~ A CHURCH BAZAAR.

Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

Swords have always been held in sacred regard, and appear in myths, historical fact, the occult, the tarot, opera movies and popular fiction as a symbol of power, justice and protection. Named magical swords include, Excalibur from the legend of King Arthur, JRR Tolkien and The Lord Of the Rings, Gandalf’s sword is Glamdring, and Aragorn bears the sword Anduril and the divine sword of Japanese Shintoism called Kusanagi. Richly decorated in many cases with precious and magically powerful gems, horn and fashioned metals, swords appear as emblems defining sovereignty over land and people. Unicorn horns are often described as sword like, the imagery includes purity, strength and nobility.

In the Tarot the suit of swords rules intellect, element of air, beginning of clear and creative thought and primarily concerned with thought and communication. The Ace of Swords is a particularly decisive card and one of powerful energy, denoting clearness of vision and freedom from confusion. The two of swords often reflects logical thought giving way to spirit, so that answers of the highest energy may be achieved, as does the ‘symbolic battle between torches and swords’ sabian symbol. Not to say those Sabian Symbols should be restricted to ‘tarot’ definitions, but the tarot provides a useful frame of reference.

When you pull this card as an oracle it may mean you are struggling between your practical needs and underlying spiritual reasons for having those needs. It indicates that enlightenment through the 'might' versus 'light' process in your personal growth. It usually indicates success.

This Taurean symbol has the key word resolution, indicating determination, courage and finding answers the focus of the symbol. When a prominent planet holds this symbol in a natal chart the person often has a tendency to thrust their own thoughts and ideas onto other people, they are often here to learn to respect all forms of communication and thinking. There is nothing at all mediocre with this person, they have a richness of spirit a sense of justice and are guided by strong convictions. It is a positive and powerful symbol where the person will over time find the ‘real’ truth, their personal truth that is the most important battle is to live our own life using our own talents, the will appear, almost like magic, when required. It is considered the path of spiritual awareness.

The numerology of this symbol interestingly is 11, the number looks like two swords, and indicates psychic abilities, equal balance of masculine and feminine, open-mindedness, intuition, idealism, and visions. Of course 11 can be reduced to two, again reflecting the two swords, but holds more power as the master 11.

Solar Fire has the body part as Thyroid gland and tonsils ( WHICH I FIND INTERESTING - swords - operations - cutting OUT thyroids and tonsils)

Element Jacinth
Discussion Jacinth is a red transparent variety of zircon used as a gemstone. It has been supposed to designate the same stone as the ligure (Hebrew leshem) mentioned in Exodus 28:19 as the first stone of the third row in the high priest's breast-plate, the Hoshen. In Revelation 9:17 the word is simply descriptive of colour. Alfred, Lord Tennyson uses 'jacinth' in his epic Morte D'Arthur, describing the jewelled hilt of Excalibur: "There drew he forth the brand Excalibur,
And o'er him, drawing it, the winter moon,
Brightening the skirts of a long cloud, ran forth
And sparkled keen with frost against the hilt:
For all the haft twinkled with diamond sparks,
Myriads of topaz-lights, and jacinth work
Of subtlest jewellery." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacinth
Jacinth helps with peace brings wisdom, honour and riches.

tink27

Wow! MCsea!

Excellent post. I was going to use the 'quote' but then I'd be quoting your whole post lol! I love your take on the swords "Richly decorated in many cases with precious and magically powerful gems, horn and fashioned metals, swords appear as emblems defining sovereignty over land and people. Unicorn horns are often described as sword like, the imagery includes purity, strength and nobility."

I believe the sword also symbolizes cutting through the illusions and ideologies of physicality and revealing the TRUE nature of our existence – To reclaim our POWER and in so doing become ONE with THE CREATOR.

Teaching Reiki, the Masters course I titled "The Sword of no illusion"

The Birth. (the body)

The attunement to Reiki I, was a wakeup call whirling us back to reality and shaking loose the beliefs and patterns instilled in us from the time we were just a babe in a manger, vulnerable and impressionable to the world around us. We had become the mirrored image of our parents, our teachers and our religion. Carbon copies of everyone elses’ beliefs. Every hurt, every denial, every memory good and bad was imprinted here springloaded and waiting to be freed. This Reiki sword shattered the illusion we were living in and its double edged sword forced our spirit to detach from the life we were living. It forced us to find the courage to break the bonds in our lives that were based on fear and to claim our own personal power, to Know Thyself and to Heal Thyself. And so began the journey of separation, of going into yourself alone, to reclaim your Power. Taking us deeper into ourselves (the microcosm) to discover a Universe (the macrocosm) of such magnificance and glory, a neverending story of creation unfolding. (endless motion of creation).

The planet Mercury is the ruler of the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is located in the front of the neck, just below our voice box - it looks like the wings of a butterly. It handles our heat production bone growth, calcium balance and metabolism. It also affects the menstrual clycle and the amount of fluids in the body. A healthy thyroid is also a strong immune system. The thyroid when balanced also sharpens our memory and thinking processes.

In ancient times the creative power of the thyroid gland was considered a sex gland, also described as a 'third ovary.

One of Mercury's attributes is the power to express thought-forms through symbolic sound, one of the greatest weapons in liberating things and ideas. What we have here is the dual currents of the Word and the Voice, the Manifester of Illusion and the Liberator of pure Rapture. One can think of this as Magick and Mysticism, but I prefer to think of it as Being and Doing.

tink

MCsea

Thanks Tink!
I love your post!

MARINA

purple_scorp

I thought it would be good to use the Orphalese software to record my daily sabian symbol readings and so set about looking for appropriate images to convey the meaning of each card.

Attached is what I came up with for this symbol.

with love
purple_scorp

Attachments

• 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 282